Ceramic tiles on stairs?

Discussion in 'Ceramic and Stone Q&A' started by Postman, Jun 18, 2017.

1. Postman

Postman New Member

Hi, we (the wife and I) just recently purchased a townhouse. The first thing that she wanted done were the stairs. It previously had carpet, which were dirty and broken.

I think we rushed into it without doing research. We hired a guy for the job (the mother-in-laws friend). First, he did the stairs without even asking us if we likes the style/layout he was going to do. We purchased the "metal nose" for them and he decided we did not need them. Even if we do not need them, which I read it's good to have because tiles could chip over time without them, I think he should have asked us first.

How do you guys think I should go about telling him to put the metal nose on? Also, is it too late to add them?

Here is how the work looks so far.
    20170617_221624.jpg 20170617_221716.jpg

2. Daris Mulkin

Daris Mulkin The One and Only Charter Member I Support TFP Senior Member

Not being a tile guy I would say is what you got is what you got. Maybe if tile get chipped you could apply a after bullnosing. You would have to drill through the tile first. I would think he could have done a better job of centering the tile up on the riser and steps though.

:old:

Daris

3. Mike Antonetti

Mike Antonetti I Support TFP Senior Member

Yeah, that offset stands out to me, an I'm not a picky person past professional installation.

The edges can chip, usually moving furniture.

Who knows if substrate is designed for tile installation. You may notice cracking in future if there's any movement.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Jim McClain

Jim McClain Owner/Founder Administrator

The M-I-L's friend was no tile professional. What does she think of the job? I wouldn't want that in my house.

Afraid you are going to have to eat this one, if for nothing else but to save your marriage. In about a year, you should tear all of that out and start all over. Find out first if the structure is suitable for tile, if that's still what you want. But pre-built hardwood stair treads and painted risers is what I would do.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Postman

Postman New Member

The wife is not happy with the outcome either. If we do not accept this and request to have it done again, what do you think the guy will say to us.

Good thing is we only paid him half of the total when he began the work.

6. kwfloors

kwfloors Fuzz on the brain Charter Member I Support TFP Senior Member

I've seen a few here, depends on the look you want. They don't look very centered to me and I think I would have staggered the tread to the riser. Might look better that way. Also the metal, which was probably a schluter, should have been installed before the tile.

7. Postman

Postman New Member

I also noticed, in SOME steps, where the tiles meet at the 90 degree angle, it's not a clean smooth 90 degree. If you run your hand on it, you can feel the step overlapping the riser.

8. Mike Antonetti

That makes that edge even weaker and more susceptible to breakage.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Postman

Postman New Member

Here is the finished product. We had a huge argument. I told him he's not getting paid the remaining balance unless he fixes the mess his workers did. He refused to make any corrections. There are more tiles like the ones in this post

Attached Files:

10. Mike Antonetti

You've been Hacked!

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  11. SteveG

SteveG Pro Member

Ohhh boy

Facepalm.gif