Ceramic tile transition to lower height floor

Discussion in 'Ceramic and Stone Q&A' started by WenatcheeTile, Aug 10, 2020.

1. WenatcheeTile

WenatcheeTile New Member

Retiling ground floor with tile over tile (primed with Mapei Eco-Prim Grip). In one room (at least 300sf) there is currently carpet over concrete slab that will get the same tile as rest of floor. Being that this room doesn't have the existing tile, it is lower height. What is the best method to raise this floor by the height of the existing tile & mortar so that new tile floor will continue level?

1. Cement board seems a bit too thick, and concerned about securing large sheets to the concrete slab.
    2. Levelling compound seems like it would require far too much and not sure I can ensure proper height.
    3. Laying a layer of cheap base tiles first seems most effective, but just a lot of added work, time, and expense. Not worried about the time part.
    4. Find a line to let new tiles slant down, potentially causing a negative visual effect.

Suggestions?

2. Why didn’t you demo existing tile?

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Chris 45

Chris 45 Director of P.R. on some deserted island. I Support TFP

Demo the tile.

4. Here was a double layer demo. Thinset was thick 3/4-1”high in single top layer area. Carpet was patched to ramp up. Concealed very well. Except noticeable at baseboard height if focused on.

It hurts me when doorjambs are cut 1” off the slab. Similar to Saltillo tile removals.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  5. Demo the existing tile is obviously the best answer. But if you're dead against it, feather the edge of the existing tile out 5-6" and you should be able to manipulate the rest with the thin set. Maybe a heavier notch in the low area & take it down in the raised.
    What you're putting down will be part of the equation too. Large format tile will be more tricky to accomplish this method.

• Agree Agree x 1