carpeting stairs

Discussion in 'Carpet Q&A' started by ProInstallPA, May 24, 2010.

1. ProInstallPA

ProInstallPA Charter Member

I'm wondering how much a lot of you guys charge to do a full wrap on some steps. I do work for a restoration company, and my next job has this sort of floating stair case that each step needs individually wrapped. Don't see too much of that around here and I've never personally had to price them, so that's why I need to know... how much?.

2. kylenelson

kylenelson You'll find me on the floor I Support TFP Senior Member

I just did a set at $20 a step. I wouldn't do it for less than that. The part that took the longest was unbolting/rebolting the steps.The carpet was so thick it kept getting in the threads. Charge what you need for full days labor.

3. rusty baker

rusty baker Well-Known Member

The problem with giving you a price, is that it varies widely from area to area. What is your basic installation rate?

4. Sean Moore

Sean Moore Pro Member

13 of them strip and pad, install in place? 1 man, 8 hours. I guess you might get away with 6 hours if they are clean (free of staples) already.

5. kylenelson

Yeah, I'd agree with sean. Take a couple hours off if the aren't filled with a million staple in a cheap berber.

6. Chris Mha

Chris Mha Charter Member Senior Member

Yardage plus $20 per step

7. Daris Mulkin

Daris Mulkin The One and Only Charter Member I Support TFP Senior Member

I'd figure it by the hour. Estimate your hours and whatever you come up with. $30 per would be pretty close to union rate I believe.

Daris

8. ProInstallPA

cool guys, thanks for the help. i should be able go figure out a decent pricing based on what everybody told me. problem i run into working for this company is i have to bill them before i do the job, so every now and then i end up under billing and screwing myself. thanks again, and i'm always up for more feedback or tips and tricks anyone wants to share to make these things go a little faster.

9. kylenelson

10. DJ

DJ Charter Member

that's what i do/charge:yesss: cept steel /spiral :(

11. ProInstallPA

alright guys have an issue. i was all set and ready with my nice big hefty price, and they hit me with a curve ball. "The customer wants to know if you can do the stairs in hardwood or laminate" they tell me. I have never even thought about installing hardwood/laminate or anything like that on a floating staircase. Anyone have any suggestions or comments as to if it's even probable?

12. Elmer Fudd

Elmer Fudd Administwative Asst. Charter Member I Support TFP Senior Member

Stairnose front and back of open step, have the painter refinish the bottom side that will be exposed.

Or just a simple NO!

13. Sean Moore

Sean Moore Pro Member

IMO, hardwood stairs are unsafe.

14. Nick Arrera

Nick Arrera Traitor

Can be done , Make sure to whackem for it . I would stay away from lam.
    You can also stairnose the top and bottom of the steps and wood on both sides .

15. kylenelson

Especially on floating steps. They're already unsafe. Just tell them you advise against it and if they want you to do it then charge by the hour.

16. TwoStar

TwoStar Maybe Three

Charge 'em the price of your liability premiums for the year. That'll cover it for sure. Hmm...wait...DOUBLE IT!

17. Barry Carlton

Barry Carlton I Support TFP Senior Member Published

I have done several laminate stairwells and one in cork. I use hardwood adhesive for the tread and riser, secure the tread with finish nails at the rear of the step covered by the riser. Nosings are glued with PL Urethane const.l adhesiv e and secured with nails. At 25 bucks a step I can blow though them for some good money.

18. Nick Arrera

Nick Arrera Traitor

You're not charging enough Barry.

19. ProInstallPA

i definitely see how it could be unsafe to do on a floating staircase. I'll give them my opinion, most definitely advising against it. If they tell me they want it done anyway, I'll just have to figure out the best way to do it and charge them for all the thought I put into it.

20. Peter Kodner

Peter Kodner Inspector Floors Charter Member Senior Member

I'm curious why this would be unsafe on floating stairs? Is it equally unsafe if there are risers?

The only time I have ever encountered a stair problem was with some radial rubber. It was a gray color and it was difficult to see the noses when going down, but no problem going up. We wound up putting a different color nose on them.