Carpet tiles in a circle

Discussion in 'Carpet Q&A' started by Jon Scanlan, Nov 6, 2010.

1. Jon Scanlan

Jon Scanlan That Kiwi Charter Member I Support TFP Senior Member

Got a job coming up where carpet tiles have to be laid in a large circle about 10 feet away from the column which is a 3 foot diam
    One problem they have to go around a round column which is in the centre of the circle of tiles. Lift the columm so I can get to the centre? :)

2. Omnipotent

Omnipotent Flying Dutchman

ask the cliënt to to draw the circel.

No, you can just take a rope and knot it around the column if you lubricate the rope it will move around the column as you're drawing or kniving the the line at the and of the rope. It i hope for you that the column is round not square.
    maybe you should take a tension wire instead of a rope.

3. Jon Scanlan

Thought about that but figured it could end up all oval shaped as it would be hard to keep the rope parallel to the column moving it around
    Also thought about measuring lots of mark equally from the column and then joining them all up. Must be a simple easy way I will still think on it

4. twomly

twomly Pro Member

I've done this string and rope can stretch and make it oval shaped. I found the best thing to do is make a template of your finished circle out of ply. Now as you have the centre of this circle in place on the template all you have to do is find the radius or diameter of the colum which should be quite simple with a few measurements. Now transfer the colum diameter onto the ply, split the ply right down the middle cut out the two half circles already marked on the ply and now you have two halves of a donut. Join them back together around the colum to make sure they fit tweak as needed tape in place and there you have it.

Hope this helps you can use card or paper, i prefer ply as it gives a sturdy firm edge for a blade to follow.

Twomly

Last edited: Nov 7, 2010
  5. hookknife

hookknife Hard Surface Installer Charter Member Senior Member

I was thinking the same way as Twomly, Lay out some building paper or something, make your circle, find your center point on the floor, cut the paper in where it will need to be, make your final marks.

6. Demonseed

Demonseed Pro Member

just a thought, if you have enough room anywhere to dry lay the carpet tile, you can choose your center point and using a nail and some string/wire, and a marking tool, and wala you will have your circle. Now you have the right size circle and just have to cut around the column.

7. kylenelson

kylenelson You'll find me on the floor Senior Member

This is exactly what I was thinking...although I'm sure it's easier said than done.

8. Demonseed

Demonseed Pro Member

just to simplify the reasoning, if they want the circle to be 10 feet from the outside of the column, and the column has a diameter of 3 feet, you need a circle with a radius of 11.5 feet. Once you have the circle marked/cut on the carpet tile you can start laying the tile outside in (from the outside circumference) since you know the outside has to be 10 feet from the column at all times.

9. hookknife

hookknife Hard Surface Installer Charter Member Senior Member

Sorry Jon I read your original post wrong. With a circle that large and the column being in the center of the circle can't you just measure off the column? Kind of what Demonseed is saying?

10. twomly

twomly Pro Member

Whoops i missed that to sorry put the old bins on and read it again 10 feet mmmm using the principle Demonseed was saying and rather than measure what about cutting a length of steel down to exactly 10 feet then using it as your measure/bar scrib. And if you can strap it round the colum simular to what Omni said using cable so you basically create a large version of the minute hand on a clock, using the colum as the centre spindle.

Twomly

11. rugrat

rugrat Pro Member

How about a 1x4x12 piece of wood, drill hole at desired measurement, but up against column, put pencil in hole, draw circle to desired circumference, with helper!

12. Daris Mulkin

Daris Mulkin The One and Only Charter Member I Support TFP Senior Member

A 1/4 " hole will also hold an exacto knife. I made my own circle cutter for small circles that way.
    Another method would be to use 1/2" pvc pipe and make it bend around to make a circle to the size you want.

Daris

13. Jon Scanlan

What I did the other day was measure the diameter of the column and got 2 8 x 4 sheets of MDF I cut the column out on the end of the 8x4 MDF which left a circle which fitted against the column. Then I put the other sheet of MDF at right angles to the other one to give me enough length for the outside radius so basically I have got the outside radius which is about 8 foot long to cut to. Probually have to move it around a few times to make the circle. Haven't tried it yet so I don't know how good it will work. If anyone else has any ideas before Friday Now is your chance :)

14. kwfloors

kwfloors Fuzz on the brain Charter Member I Support TFP Senior Member

Are you making a starburst from the post? Wedges out from the middle?

15. cproader

cproader All over T's last nerve Senior Member

Ok I gave ya guys plenty of time to solve this puzzle, but times up......

Ya loop a loop around the pillar, and the loop is large enough to reach. The loop doesn't spin around the pillar, cause it don't have to.......so there ya go.........:cool:

16. polestretch

polestretch Senior Member

CP, I think your looped!:yesss:

17. cproader

Yep, connect two points with a loop, and it don't matter how big the point is.....:cool:

18. cproader

Now who can figger out how long the string needs to be.......:cool:

19. cproader

:blink:.....ok guys, baby steps.....1+1equals......:cool:

20. Jim McClain

Jim McClain Owner/Founder Administrator

I really thought some mathmetician would answer this for Jon. I ain't one a them, but this is what I woulda done in the same situation and needing a quick solution:

1. Cut two 2x4's exZactly the radius (half the diameter) of the column plus 3½".
    2. Cut one 2x4 'zactly the diameter of the column plus 7".
    3. Screw the 3 2x4's together securely in a 3-sided box with the longer board on top of the 2 shorter boards.
    4. Cut one 2x4 the length of the distance away from the column your circle has to be plus a couple inches.
    5. Attach that board securely to the bottom of the long side of your box dead center.
    6. Measure out the length of the longest board and drill a hole at the stop point of your circle.
    7. Straddle the column with your rig and insert a marking instrument in the hole you drilled to mark your circle.
    8. Install your carpet tiles.
    9. Redraw your circle onto the installed carpet tiles and trim off excess.
    10. Install transition and trims.
    11. Disassemble and save the rig for the next circle or use it for some other project.
    I have attached a diagram for illustration. You may want to add gussets to stabilize the rig, but if you're careful, they won't be necessary. You can check the rig for square using the 3-4-5 method. I hope you know what that is.

I miss this job. :(

Jim

Attached Files: