Carpet tile

Discussion in 'Carpet Sales and Installations' started by Daris Mulkin, Dec 5, 2017.

1. Daris Mulkin

Daris Mulkin The One and Only Charter Member I Support TFP Senior Member

I was called yesterday to measure up a day care I did 13 years ago. Beautiful job for 12 ft goods as all rooms are just under 24 ft. But now the only thing is I have to figure it up for 20x20" carpet tile. Now if my room is 20'x24' I figure I have to have 173 tile net , no waste. Am I right? Also how much should be allowed for waste on carpet tile. Been maybe 25 years since I did any tile and I never had to figure up the amount, just lay them. All together the area is approximately 56.5 ft x 88.25 ft. Take up glued down and relay carpet tile. 11 rooms and hall. Has to be done between the holidays. To much for this old man to handle. How long doe you think to do.

:old:

Daris

2. SteveG

SteveG Pro Member

So that's around 5,000SF - I'd go 5140SF (3% waste) rounded up to the nearest carton size. I don't know how long it would take you or what to charge for the demo, but carpet tile tends to go down pretty quick.

If you have some left over, you leave it with them for repairs. I usually tell them to expect some attic stock.

3. Chris 45

Chris 45 Director of P.R. on some deserted island. I Support TFP

3%?? That’s pretty tight unless it was just one big open area.

4. SteveG

SteveG Pro Member

I mean, you could go heavier if you were worried. Sounded from his post like the rooms were pretty consistent size and I guess I just imagined a bunch of rectangle rooms in a day care/office building.

I generally run 3% on commercial takeoffs, but that's when I working off a set of prints.

5. Chris 45

Chris 45 Director of P.R. on some deserted island. I Support TFP

If that number works then I’ll take your word for it. You surely have more experience with estimating jobs like this than I do. I’ve done commercial but I hang out in residential now and the shop I work for just does the standard 10%. Im also not doing 5000 sq ft jobs either. Im sure that makes a difference.

6. Mike Antonetti

Mike Antonetti I Support TFP Senior Member

10% is excessive, 5 is probably average. If you’re anal, 3 would work, not comfortable stressing over using the scraps.

7. Jonathan Garcia

Jonathan Garcia Pro Member

I agree with mike. 5% is about average. don't like to be stressed about material. but you can go with 3% just depends on the size of the rooms, if they are large and open.

8. Incognito

Incognito No more Mr. Nice Guy! I Support TFP Senior Member

3% waste is generally what a basic, squared layout of carpet tile will yield. So our estimators would bid it at 5-6% waste so there's virtually no chance of running short and all attic stock is accounted for and turned over to the customer.

If it was MY Day Care Center I'd order net square footage + 6%.

Daris, we demo and install 100-200 s/y per man per day (8 hr.) mostly dependent on the demo. Were the classrooms demoed and prepped I guarantee I could install the tile in 2 days with a helper. There are more different backings and adhesives nowadays. In the olden days with different glue systems and different backings I've laid that much in a single day with an exceptionally well trained helper/laborer.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Jonathan Garcia

Jonathan Garcia Pro Member

as long as they didn't use shaw 1000 adhesive i can see 100-200 s/y per man per day. we have this large company that we installed all their carpet about 10-15 years ago, they requested shaw 1000, and now we have to lift and put LVP or LVT in the building. its a pain.

10. Incognito

Incognito No more Mr. Nice Guy! I Support TFP Senior Member

That brings up the point of adhesive removal or skim coating. Both are a good idea but not always necessary. I beleive every manufacturer would want the existing glue removed, sealed over or skim coated. SO that's an additional consideration. If you wanted to do that I'd figure 2-4 hours per classroom.

11. kylenelson

kylenelson You'll find me on the floor Senior Member

2-4 days with helper,depending on tear out. we’d be at $1.25 a sq ft with tear out

12. Daris Mulkin

You are much higher than here. I was thinking$8 per yard @600 yards. And I am rally high for what the commercial installers get here. If the floor has to be scarified that is over and above.
    But then and again it don't get as cold here as it does there, nor have as much snow.

Daris

13. Hanover Fist

Hanover Fist Pro Member

I’m here to disagree with 5%...

I would go 5% and THEN call my client, and ask what the likelihood is that they chose carpet tile because of the ability to perform spot repairs/replace tiles. If the answer is yes, then order another 3-5% for shelf stock. Otherwise they won’t match the dye lot.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. Mike Antonetti

Mike Antonetti I Support TFP Senior Member

We bid a church that got flooded for adhesive removal only. They were not shaded enough to change to carpet tile maybe due to price/changeover to pressure sensitive adhesive. Our bid was just to remove adhesive to plain of slab. Not grind into concrete. Can’t remember but think it was @ 50 cent foot. My guts been .75. We bid sometimes not caring to get the job, we do the work well so we’re priced accordingly. I think it’s funny what poor prep they accept not knowing any better.

Point is they went back with roll goods. 13 years is a long run for roll carpet, tell em to keep the saved money!

15. Daris Mulkin

Actually the carpet is in good shape, Mike. Just might have a few urine places from diapers leaking things like that. I couldn't smell anything though. Of coarse I was standing to measure.

Daris

• Like Like x 1