Carpet Tile on Acoustic Underlayment

Discussion in 'Carpet Q&A' started by igould, Dec 9, 2016.

1. igould

igould New Member

We are replacing the flooring in our high rise condo, concrete floors, in Arizona (dry climate). Our HOA requires the use of an acoustic underlayment for hard flooring, which we need to use because most of the flooring will be tile. However, we want to install 24" x 24" carpet tile in a bedroom, and even if it is not required we may want to use the same acoustic underlayment rather than install the carpet tile on the concrete floor, to avoid height differential problems with baseboards, existing stone transitions etc.

We are approved to use Regupol 5mm Sonus underlayment, the Regupol website says that it can be used under carpet tile, but none of the installers we have talked to have experience with this combination and can't tell us about potential problems, e.g. if we remove a tile in the future will it pull rubber up with it, etc.

Does anybody here have experience doing this and can advise?

Many thanks in advance!

2. kwfloors

kwfloors Fuzz on the brain Charter Member I Support TFP Senior Member

3. Mike Antonetti

Mike Antonetti I Support TFP Senior Member

For acoustic concrete looks like you're supposed to use Sonus Wave, 6 mm, I assume it's made differently. You may want to contact carpet tile manufacturer for their recommendations about the backing compatibility and adhesive recommended.

4. kylenelson

kylenelson You'll find me on the floor Senior Member

Carpet tile is pretty forgiving, I wouldn't worry.

5. Crafty

Crafty Pro Member

igould, if you're still around I would like to know the outcome of your issue.

6. Jim McClain

Jim McClain Owner/Founder Administrator

The member has not been logged in since the topic was started.

7. Crafty

Crafty Pro Member

Thanks, Jim. I field these types of questions quite often here in AZ due to the high quantity of luxury condos and, unfortunately, often uneducated HOA's. Was just fishing for their eventual resolution.