Carpet Switched Without Notice

Discussion in 'Carpet Q&A' started by Bonnie Sharpless, May 8, 2012.

  1. On Shaw's site, it lists both II and III as having the same specs: 54.60 face weight and a 3.75 durability rating. Is that correct? If so, what's the difference between them?
  2. Well, prepare to be shocked. They said they can't give us an "upgrade" without charging us the difference. Now remember that she originally told us that she gave us an "upgrade" with the Unrivaled Beauty. So they can give us an "upgrade" at no charge when we haven't asked for it/don't want it...

    This just re-affirms the idea that they knew what they gave us wasn't an upgrade in the first place.
  3. And thank you so much for this information, Mike. I'm not sure I could get my hands on this information myself. This is "above and beyond" stuff right here!
  4. Mike Mahoney

    Mike Mahoney Pro Member

    Must be a typo on their site.
    The samples we have show the II at 46 oz. & the III at 54.60 oz. and neither have the graph for durability.
  5. Mike Mahoney

    Mike Mahoney Pro Member


    Might be best if you speak with her father.
  6. Mike Mahoney

    Mike Mahoney Pro Member

    You're welcome.

    It's easy info to gather and the store you're dealing with should be sharing it with you.
    Tell them to join The FloorPro - the guys & gals here will straighten 'em out.
  7. R.K

    R.K Pro Member

    this is like a slow motion car wreck!
  8. They told us today (after your post) that they checked and it was still back-ordered to June 15, so I don't know what they're checking...
  9. ortiz34

    ortiz34 2nd generation Senior Member

    It's in Shaws hands, they are known to push back production but have never heard the "200 ft ordered till they will produce"
    Are they waiting for someone else to order that same weight/color? Probably
    Are you gonna wait forever? no
    Like others said, enjoy the loaner rug and get what you originally bought.

    I'm suprised given the issue they won't give you the III weight that is in stock. They've probably already lost their shirt and rightfully so, however I cannot sit here like an armchair quarterback and tell how other businesses should operate or what they should give you. Or drag them through the mud. If your size is 12x56 and their already eating the job I can see why they may not be able to give you the next weight.

    It is showing the 22nd and at this point on my end too,their probably terrified to tell you with how bad things have already gone and now the mill is making things that much more difficult for everyone.

    Lifes too short, as long as they make good and you are happy is all that matters.
  10. Mike Mahoney

    Mike Mahoney Pro Member


    Just checked online and also called customer service. Both say the 22nd.

    Is the quantity you're expecting a 12x56 which equals 74.67 sq. yds.?

    The III is still available. Call her Dad.
  11. Mike Mahoney

    Mike Mahoney Pro Member

    That 200' deal is new to me too.
    Found that out yesterday when I made a call to customer service.

    Also was told the original production was the 15th, pushed to the 18th and now it's anticipated to be the 22nd. Could very well get pushed again.

    Agree, they should order her the III, it's not that much more.
    Plus their mill rep would probably give them a cut at roll price for the III, given the mess the II is in for production.
  12. I don't remember the exact amount, but that sounds just about right; it was 70-something square yards.

    One reason I thought they would go for giving us the III is because until this gets done right, they don't get paid. So if they want to wait until the II is ready, that's fine with us because we have the "loaner" carpet in place and we aren't paying anything. If they would like to get paid a little sooner, they can give us the upgrade.

    After another month or so, if the II isn't delivered yet, they may rethink it. The way I figure it, either way, we're okay. I can't really get too upset.
  13. David Hunt

    David Hunt Charter Member Senior Member Published

    Speaking from a strictly monetary perspective, it would cost the dealer less to let you keep what you have, than replace it with what you ordered. That doesn't even include the hassle factor of a second handling & installation plus the unloading the removed 'now used' carpet from your home.

    The dealers greatest loss is you as a customer, but then, from what we've seen demonstrated to date, that doesn't appear to be too high on their list of priorities. I'm sorry to say, but I believe you are going to live with a carpet you didn't order for a very, very, very long time.

    If I am not crossing a line here; one aspect I am curious about is, when you placed the order, did you give a deposit? If so, what percentage of the total invoice was it?


  14. FlooringGirl

    FlooringGirl Senior Member

    Yeah, stuff gets pushed back, but that's no reason not to immediately inform the customer and give them a choice of what to do ... after all, flooring isn't one of those "we have the right to substitute another item of similar like or quality" things. Is it? Not in my world ...

    Reading closer, I see too much forgiveness, and perhaps the potential for ... yeah, that!

    Last edited: Jun 7, 2012
  15. No, they did not ask for a deposit, which surprised me. I even asked them, "Do I need to give you a deposit or anything?" So right now, we have carpet we can live with, basically for free, until the carpet we ordered is available, and they have nothing. Which is why I said I can't get too upset. They're really more screwed that we are at this point.
  16. David Hunt

    David Hunt Charter Member Senior Member Published

    Wow, that makes me feel a whole lot better for you. Guess they are just full of poor business practices. :(:(:(

  17. ortiz34

    ortiz34 2nd generation Senior Member

    not in my world either

    No forgiveness either for what was done, but with proof of back orders currently I'm willing to give them the benefit of the doubt to make right
  18. UncleCliffie

    UncleCliffie Charter Member

    Is it possible the dealer has ordered the replacement through a distributor, and not mill direct? That would account for the confusion on the availability of the product. Since no money has changed hands yet, the dealer is the only one hurting at this point. He is on the hook for the goods he installed, the labor, and the replacement goods and labor if and when that happens. In the 25 + years I was in retail, I never ever got myself or employer in such a situation. The toughest call to make is to let the consumer know there is a problem with their order on the morning of the installation, but the call must be made, uncomfortable or difficult.
    Last edited: Jun 8, 2012
  19. David Hunt

    David Hunt Charter Member Senior Member Published

    Doing things that are difficult or uncomfortable because they are the right thing to is the foundation of dignity and self respect. Which explains why so few have it.

  20. Capiii

    Capiii Pro Member

    I see this place is still rockin' with Bonnie Sharp coming in and getting her back orders and alternate skw's checked. :yesss:

    The history of the story seemed to be trending into the poorly to loosely run family business end game suggesting little nefarious will, or at least little detectable motive for it. I truly hope it turns out well, all appearances, you're the one in the catbird seat.
    Why would anyone want to hang their butt out there like that?:hu:
    Life is hard enough without doing stupid stuff.

Share This Page

  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.