Carpet Switched Without Notice

Discussion in 'Carpet Q&A' started by Bonnie Sharpless, May 8, 2012.

1. After much online research, back and forth with samples, discussion with friends, etc., I ordered Shaw Essential Ingredient II from my local carpet dealer. When the carpet was installed, however, it didn't seem right to me. I found one of the carpet scraps they had left behind for us that had a label on the back. The FHA/MEA number on it was 52142, so I contacted Shaw to find out what that was, and it's Unrivaled Beauty. I then contacted the carpet dealer, who told me that Essential Ingredient II was back-ordered, so they substituted this one.

Shouldn't we have been consulted before this switch? They claim this was an "upgrade," but they have no idea what criteria we used to decide.

For example, the Essential Ingredient II is Stainmaster, but the Unrivaled Beauty is R2X, which I don't think is as good. Stainmaster was an important part of our decision process.

Also, the Essential Ingredient II has a durability rating of 3.75, while the Unrivaled Beauty is only 3.5. Again, that was an important factor to us.

Not to mention that they just picked a color, Toffee, that they said was the closest equivalent to Sepia, the color we picked.

Is this a common practice in the industry? Do they just assume nobody will notice? Do I have any recourse?

I appreciate any insight...

Last edited: May 8, 2012
  2. Ed

Ed Charter Member

Going from 3.75 to 3.5 is not an upgrade. I would never do this without customer approval. You could have them reorder and replace. They may have just got caught.

3. Roland Thompson

Roland Thompson Charter Member Senior Member

You have all the right to make them put in the carpet you ordered and payied for.

4. TwoStar

TwoStar Maybe Three

I'll bet the installer got fired for leaving evidence...errrr...scraps at the job site.;)

Get the carpet you wanted and don't apologize for it. Good luck.:)

5. W LESTER

W LESTER Pro Member

Demand from your dealer to get what you paid for. This is no way common practice.
    Honesty goes a long way and cheaters never prosper.

6. Wow, I kind of thought maybe this is just what normally happens, but it sounds like it's not. I didn't want to make an issue of it, if it was acceptable business practice. I appreciate the input.

To be fair, I don't think they set out to cheat me. She showed me the paperwork where she had ordered the carpet I wanted along with the reply that it would not be available until May 21. It was at that point, though, that I feel we should have been consulted to see if we wanted to wait for that particular carpet and if not, we should have been given the opportunity to choose a replacement for ourselves.

I'm not altogether certain I want the mess and headache of having my whole house in chaos again, but maybe they'll give me a credit for the cost difference. Although she told me that what they "upgraded" me to was actually a more expensive carpet, according to Shaw's site, it is not.

So what other way can I judge the comparative merits of the two carpets? Immediately upon entering the house, I said to my husband, "I don't think this is the carpet we picked." It just didn't feel as thick as the other one. I've compared the durability rating, but what other numbers are meaningful?

7. David Hunt

David Hunt Charter Member Senior Member Published

It was very nice of the retailer to purchase and install this carpet for you at THEIR expense until the carpet YOU purchased arrives.

Seriously, what the dealer did was wrong on so many levels. The bottom line is, you've been the victim of 'bait & switch'. It's not a common practice but it does happen.

The first thing you need to do, if at all possible, is STOP payment. If you paid with a credit card, notify the card issuer of the suspected fraud and have them STOP payment.

The second step is to notify the seller 'in writing' of your assertion that an error has been made and request that they (the seller) submit a plan to remedy the matter within 10 days from the date of notice. DO NOT ACCEPT A CASH SETTLEMENT OR DISCOUNT LESS THAN 125% OF THE MONEY YOU'VE PAID. Because your cost to replace a second time will be greater than the initial transaction.

The third thing you do is obtain a quote from another dealer for the cost of the materials you originally ordered, plus the removal & disposal of the wrong carpet that is currently in your home. Because if the Bozo who did the 'bait & switch' fails to honor the terms of the original agreement and you should end up in court, the replacement amount of second dealer will become your settlement amount, not the purchase price.

Of course you will save all your documentation, I can tell that just by what you've done thus far. But make no mistake, to make a switch like this without notice is wrong. Even with notification, to make a switch like this without documentation in writing ((having the customer sign off on the change)) is just plain stupid.

The scenario you describe is wrong and people who attempt this type of foolishness need to be purged from our industry. Just in case you wondered how I really feel about this. :mad::mad::mad:

PS: You may not believe they set out to cheat you, but from what you've shared here and knowing how this industry works, I would strongly disagree with your assessment.

Hope this helps.

Dobby

8. ortiz34

ortiz34 2nd generation Senior Member

Wow, this retailer has big ones to pull this without telling you.
    I would even fathom doing something like that.

You bought a branded Stainmaster carpet and they gave you a r2x unbranded nylon

Stay calm, be firm.

9. R.K

R.K Pro Member

10. ortiz34

What about your stainmaster warranty?
    The unmatched customer support for when you have a issue or just want to find out how to get out nailpolish.
    Is this no big deal?
    What about the five ounces of face weight you didn't receive?
    Not quite sure what the dealer was thinking, possibly that you may cancel. I know the feeling being in sales.
    It's not like the rug they gave you is that much cheaper,so you can take some solace in knowing it wasn't about the money. They didn't want to wait, had done this before and got away with it and now they got caught.
    It's too bad on both ends IMO

Let us know what happens

11. David Hunt

David Hunt Charter Member Senior Member Published

Bonnie, I've been thinking about your predicament and I'm torn about which is worse. If they were intentionally trying to cheat you, that's pretty bad. If they were not trying to cheat, but were just going switch products for scheduling sake, that's even worse !! Is this not the height of arrogance and disrespect for you, your preferences, your taste and the time and energy you spent in the shopping and sales process.

This IS NOT how business is done. Ask any professional, in any industry that sells from non-inventoried merchandise and they will tell you back orders and delays are a regular aspect of doing business. Furthermore, a delay to May 25th is nothing! Besides, if it's delayed, they certainly have time to consult with you!

Bonnie, if you roll over and let these folks get away with this, they will only keep doing it. Don't think of yourself, think of the next person who may not have your intuition, instinct and courage. The person who skimped and saved to get a new floor only to be swindled by such a scam.

When we as citizens see wrong and fail to take a stand against it, through our inaction, we are supporting it. Maybe we can't change the world, but we can certainly clean up our own corner of it.

My suggestion is, if you don't want to go through the hassle of having the carpet replaced ((something I guarantee you will later regret)) then have 100% of the purchase price refunded and donate the money to charity. Then at least some good can come from this otherwise horrible experience. But seriously, to have them refund the difference? That's a joke because it still rewards the retailers reprehensible conduct. :mad::mad::mad: If this retailer deserves anything, it's a beatin'. ((figuratively speaking, of course))

With my kindest regards,

Dobby

12. Daris Mulkin

Daris Mulkin The One and Only Charter Member I Support TFP Senior Member

This was a scam that was taking place in my area in the late 60's. Sell the good switch to the bad but looks like the good. Called bait and switch. How many times did those stores and yours get by with that. You surely aren't the first one I'm sure. Even if the difference was only a few cents on the dollar those cents add up to dollars in a hurry. Sure does increase the profit in a bad economy I would think.
    Jump on them with both feet. Maybe someone else will love you for it.

Daris

13. ortiz34

I just checked stock online and their 5/25 back order claim is valid fwiw.

14. TwoStar

TwoStar Maybe Three

Don'tcha just wanna call up a posse?!?! We'll all meet at Daris's, grab a few old kickers and other weapons and make a house call on these idiots! "Point me towards danger, Azeem, I'm ready!"

15. This really sums up my feelings about it, Dobby. We spent a good amount of time in the selection process and had specific criteria in mind, none of which they knew or could have taken into account. If we didn't care what carpet we wanted, we would've just gone in and said "Sell me some carpet, I don't care what kind."

We are going to go up this afternoon and talk to them in person to see what solution we can come up with. Basically, they are either going to install the correct carpet, or we aren't going to pay for it.

As one of her reasons for calling the carpet they installed an "upgrade," she cited that it was Softbac Platinum. Is that really a big improvement over the Classicbac? Enough of a difference to make up for the other stuff?

And it's Evertouch R2X vs. Stainmaster Luxurell. Big difference there?

Thanks to all of you for your input. It made me realize that this was absolutely not acceptable and that I do not have to stand for it.

Last edited: May 9, 2012
  16. ortiz34

not really with the backing
    yes there us a difference between stainmaster and evertouch
    one is a branded product, evertouch is basically generic with a taillight warranty imo and from expeience
    No matter how they spin it, that rug will and would not be covered warranty wise like a stainmaster fiber

17. Update:

We went in to the shop, and the owner was there. (This is just a little independent small-town shop; his daughter does the paperwork and is the one who made the decision to switch carpets.) We explained the whole thing to him (she had apparently not mentioned it to him). At first, he asked if we had checked the carpet before they installed it to be sure it was the right one. My husband had tried to, but the installers told him the labels had been removed at the warehouse, so he couldn't (first red flag). Once we explained that to him, he offered to order us the right carpet and put it in. He said we could come up with a financial settlement, but in the end, we still wouldn't be happy, and he wanted us to be happy. So we agreed to that. So I guess in a couple of weeks, we'll be going through the whole mess again!

Again, I want to thank everyone here for the information and support. I wouldn't have had the knowledge or confidence to get this fixed without you!

18. mcbrides

mcbrides Canadian Installers Senior Member

Bonnie,

Good for you, girl ~ gotta stand up for yourself and get what you selected in the first place. You won't regret having it changed, over the years I have been back to see our insallations when doing further work on the same sites and we have seen the change in finish on both R2x and Staimaster carpets. We aren't impressed with the former.

And we did see this type of switchout more than a few times when we were living in Toronto, usually a downgrade in ounceweight in the same product line.

Deb McBride

19. R.K

R.K Pro Member

Meanwhile, at 3:07pm:

Shaw Rep: "Hello?"
    Dealer: "You wouldn't believe these crush marks, we tried to make it work....."

20. kylenelson

kylenelson You'll find me on the floor I Support TFP Senior Member

It sounds like the store owner is doing what is right. Not the installers fault either, they probably just showed up to work in the morning and they pointed at the roll and said "that one".