Carpet stinger or spike

Discussion in 'Tools, Equipment and Supplies' started by coolevilangel, Oct 10, 2011.

1. coolevilangel

coolevilangel Pro Member

ok, for those of us across the pond.
    Whats a 'stinger'?

2. TwoStar

TwoStar Maybe Three

3. coolevilangel

coolevilangel Pro Member

ahh ok..
    Never used one.
    Doubt i ever will either:D

4. Daris Mulkin

Daris Mulkin The One and Only Charter Member I Support TFP Senior Member

It not only messes up the backing of the carpet it will mess up the flooring underneath it. Hardwood won't be usable if customer decides to go back to wood. On OSB it will leave a hump where it bunched up the wood. It wil really make a mess of fine denier carpets.
    Ask me how I know this?
    I'm not perfect either. I have one for closets and maybe putting a entryway back after it has been replaced with wood or ceramic. Thats the only time it used anymore.
    As far as the fine denier carpet my son used it on a job when I was on vacation. I had to retuft 92 holes where it seperated the yarn.
    The tool was actually designed for trailer houses where the walls are kind of flimsy. One carpet mill [ Carriage carpets}that made trailer carpet recommednd it and even had pictures posted in the trailers when the marriage lines had to be seamed together. That particular one showed 2 spikes on the tool. So now it is double trouble.

Daris

5. Omnipotent

Omnipotent Flying Dutchman

I haven't got a clue,

6. Daris Mulkin

Omni, it fits into the head of a power stretcher for carpet.

Daris

7. coolevilangel

coolevilangel Pro Member

the tail end, not the head right?:blink:
    eliminating the need for a 'sturdy wall'
    too much risk of damaging cpt imo
    Deffo wont be on my list lol

8. Taurus Flooring

Taurus Flooring Over 30yrs Experience

Back in the mid 70's, my dad and I happen to meet the inventor of the 1st model of the "spike". The guy had been working as an installer but was involved in an accident which kind of buggered up his legs and he couldn't kick carpet anymore and came up with this design. Dad was a hemophiliac and had to be careful about bruising, so he bought one. I cringed everytime he used it because I knew he was destroying the subfloor (if not the hardwood). The hole he left behind in the cpt wasn't too impressive either, but it helped him to do the job and I can't fault it for that. In my mind, kicking carpet is stupid anyways. I think some bright eyes somewhere should come up with a way for us to glue the cpt to the pad and never worry about bubbles. :yesss:
    BTW, I would never use a "spike"

9. Darren Ramey

Darren Ramey Charter Member I Support TFP

I pulled one out for a trailer a few weeks back and now my help wants me to break it out on everything... Im not a huge fan, not only can it damage carpet and the floor it can tweak your stretcher head out of shape if you use it a lot. My dad does, and you can't even fit a regular tube in it anymore.

Still I have used it in a pinch here and there, mostly trailers.

10. Barry Carlton

Barry Carlton Senior Member Published

It was with great pride that I was able to say that I did not even own one. Then about 10 years ago I was asked to install cpt. in an old Mobile home that a friend was turning. He was gracious enough to tell me ahead of time that at least 2 of the interior walls moved. So now I own one that has been used once.

But in the Boise area, I think there are less than 10 cpt. people who even own poles. Nearly everyone here uses the blasted stinger.

11. polestretch

polestretch Senior Member

I had never heard of a stinger until I joined this forum.:ohno: Around here, everyone uses a kicker or crab.:yesss:

12. Barry Carlton

Nearly no one here know what a crab is :O

13. polestretch

polestretch Senior Member

It is the mini restretcher that latches onto the tackless or you can put 2 heads on for doing gluedown seams.
    It's amazing how different regions use different tools and different methods.

14. Barry Carlton

Didn't say I didn't know, I actually own one.

I think the crab would get about the same amount of stretch as the stinger (not enough) but w/o the damage to the carpet.

Hey I know...if we total up the total circumference of the holes that a stretcher head makes and compare that with the hole a stinger leaves I'll bet the stinger hole is smaller. That would make it better, right? ;) :eek:

15. Nate Hall

Nate Hall Types With Elbows Senior Member Published

You're kidding right?
    You can take more than one stretch with a crab (or even a poled stretcher) to get "enough" stretch. How much is enough? 1%! Ruoghly an inch for every 10 feet of carpet you are stretching. So you need to take several "bights" to get 3 inches from that 30 foot living room.

16. Barry Carlton

I admit I do not know what I am talking about in this case. I used the stinger once and have never used the crab for anything other than seam repairs and pattern adjustment.

17. kwfloors

kwfloors Fuzz on the brain Charter Member I Support TFP Senior Member

I never bought one or used one. Just knowing the warranty of the carpet is voided is enough not to do it. I pulled up a job that had been 'stingered'. 4" chunks of OSB torn off the floor and you could feel them walking on the carpet. I have always stretched trailors just like any other job. Sure there have been some walls not secured very well but they stretched anyway. I see walls in stick built houses not secured too.

18. Daris Mulkin

The crab goes way back before I started. It was called a re-stretcher. Designed for restretchs that you really didn't need to move the furniture out. Maybe if I said removing the bubbles would be more like it instead of re-stretching. Now it has progressed into a seam or pattern stretcher.
    I worked for a work room back in the 70's that the boss thought that was the only tool out there for stretching. It was used on everything. That was a hard habit to break. Now I use it on long pulls in a basement where I can divide a room in half.
    It is a very much used tool.

Daris

19. Ed

Ed Charter Member

I do not have a stinger or a crab. If the walls are iffy I will use a 2x4 to distribute the load.

20. Daris Mulkin

2x4 is good but a 4x4 covered with carpet is better. Just in case you have a weak wall.

Daris