Carpet Seam

Discussion in 'Carpet Q&A' started by Unhappy, Oct 23, 2017.

1. Unhappy

Unhappy Member

I recently had my entire house carpeted. I am happy with every room except the living room. We signed a contract with the company to put a seam on the side of this particular room. The seam is in the middle/lengthwise from one end to the other. This is the first thing you see when you enter our living room from the front door entrance......is the seam. After complaining we have been told they can shave the seam and we will not be able to see any difference in the carpet. My question is if we let them do this .........in a few months will it begin to tear apart at the seam. A signed contract is a signed contract so I want a new carpet installed in the living room, but then again I've heard it will not match the carpet in the adjoining room if we order new carpet. Help......I don't know what to do.

2. Chris 45

Chris 45 Director of P.R. on some deserted island. I Support TFP

Pictures would help us to figure out if you actually have a bad seam or what is really going on and how best to approach a repair

3. Unhappy

Unhappy Member

This is a copy of our living room carpet with this horrible seam straight thru the middle from one end to the other.

Attached Files:

4. Unhappy

Unhappy Member

Sorry....the color didn't turn out right. Our carpet is a pretty brown and tan and this is a yukie grey looking color...:(

5. Unhappy

Unhappy Member

Question is should we let them shave this seam or go ahead and get new carpeting for this room?

6. Jim McClain

Jim McClain Owner/Founder Administrator

Please try to share several photos, at least one of them a much wider angle view so we can get an idea of its location in relation to the room and any adjoining room.

Are the thinking of trimming the seam with scissors or a machine?

7. Chris 45

Chris 45 Director of P.R. on some deserted island. I Support TFP

I’d try a repair with my scissors first. Might even need to be split open and redone but I’d say a replacement is jumping the gun a bit.

8. Unhappy

Unhappy Member

I'm at work now...will take more tonight. It's the living room 15 X 15. Seam is directly in the middle of the carpet lengthwise from one end to the other. The company will either replace the carpet or shave it down (that's what they told us...shave it down). My question is ....is this a normal procedure that carpet installers do when a seam is in the middle of the carpet?

9. Daris Mulkin

Daris Mulkin The One and Only Charter Member I Support TFP Senior Member

Don't scissor it. I'm sure the carpet will turn darker where it is sheared off. If is is to be sheared let them do it then they are liable. I will say you got a bad seam. It looks like ledging where one side does not go into alignment with the other. If the whole seam is like that make them redo it. As far as not matching other rooms you don't say what they are . If it is doorway seams it may not be all that noticeable. But either way let them do the cutting. You can tell if it ledging by taking some thing like an awl of small knitting needle and try to go across the seam perpendicular. If it hits and wants to stop then the edges are not in alignment.

:old:

Daris

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  10. Darren Ramey

Darren Ramey Charter Member I Support TFP

If the room is 15 x 15 it's not going to matter all that much is it? the seam is going to be 15' long regardless. Technically, they should try not to run the seam in front of any windows as the light shining in can really highlight a seam, but this isn't always possible especially if the carpet continues through the house, as it all has to run he same direction.

Now on to that seam in particular. It looks bad. It looks like they may have overlapped the edges even, but it is really hard to say from that pic. I have seen carpet straight front he mill that has higher nap on one side of the roll than the other, but it's fairly rare and this would be an extreme case. I'm pretty sure I could make it look much better with just a pair of duck billed shears, but many carpets get darker if you cut that deep in to them. If I was sent out to repair this I would probably just yank the whole seam apart and start over. A seam in a multicolored piece of carpet with nap that long should be nearly invisible. I wouldn't be able to sleep at night with at least trying to fix that before I left the job...

• Like Like x 2
  11. kwfloors

kwfloors Fuzz on the brain Charter Member I Support TFP Senior Member

Looks like a just a long row that didn't get shaved at the mill. I have seen that several times on that type of carpet. No big deal, just needs trimmed. Sometimes those things don't show until vacuuming. It might not be the seam and yes it is common to do what they are saying.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. SteveG

SteveG Pro Member

Not all carpet seams as well as one would hope, and seams have a tendency to "peak" when first installed - it's possible it could relax a bit. Without seeing any other photos, I'd let them give shaving it a shot. It looks like just a few fibers poking up. After reading from the guys above - please ignore my statement. I'd take their insight over my guess any day of the week.

Was this the only room being worked on? Was there some reason they moved the seam? Is the seam installed parallel or perpendicular to the major light source (window?) in the room?

As to whether it's normal to run a seam down the middle of the room - I'd say it's acceptable practice to do so, but not knowing the layout of the room I couldn't tell you if it was good or normal to do in this case. Remember - 12 foot goods means a seam is going somewhere. Usually you can hide it under furniture or something, but we don't have enough information to render an opinion right now.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2017
  13. Incognito

Incognito No more Mr. Nice Guy! I Support TFP Senior Member

Pretty sure this seam would be fairly easy to fix for a GOOD carpet layer, let alone BETTER and BEST.

Done correctly you wouldn't care where the seam was located. You'd barely notice it. Half way decent carpet installed by a half way decent carpet layer would simply NOT fail at the seams over time regardless where the seams fall. We try to avoid seams that get unfriendly lighting and maybe avoid a seam in high traffic areas but it really should matter.

A shitty seam is a shitty seam even if it's in the closet and there's just no excuse.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. Mike Antonetti

Mike Antonetti I Support TFP Senior Member

Shine on KoolGlide (tm). Obviously it’s not a KoolGlide seam.

15. kylenelson

kylenelson You'll find me on the floor Senior Member

First guess is bad seam...second guess is that the carpet is two different heights and could be trimmed to even out. I had an issue last year where the seam looked great until I got a call to come look at it. What I didn’t see on installation is that the pile was reversed for 8 feet or so and the seam looked bad, almost like your picture. One side laid down and the other stood up making it look like it had been overlapped.

16. Roland Thompson

Roland Thompson Charter Member Senior Member

It does look like a high row. But a guy knowing how to use his trimming scissors can fix that with no problem. Done it many many times when going out on inspections.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Jim McClain

Smacks of blaming the tool and not the person operating the tool. I've seen crappy seams made by a KoolGlide and a lousy installer. Don't blame the tool, in this situation; it might have nothing to do with that ugly seam.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. Mike Antonetti

Mike Antonetti I Support TFP Senior Member

I’m saying with a conventional iron you have to rip it apart. With a KoolGlide you can zap it and set it properly if it is overlap.

19. Jim McClain

With hotmelt tape, you can flip the carpet over and run a hot iron down the seam and pull it off the backing. It's more work, can be a little messy and you might even burn yourself, but it can be done. I've done it too many times.

• Like Like x 2
  20. kwfloors

kwfloors Fuzz on the brain Charter Member I Support TFP Senior Member

Ill bet you its not the seam.