Carpet Runner Over LVP Staircase

Discussion in 'Flooring Potpourri' started by Ken James, Sep 11, 2017.

1. Ken James

Ken James Pro Member

Hello FloorPRO Community, I'm back--

*Quick update: I'm getting a better handle on estimating projects. Mostly learning to ask the customer for more money that I suspect may come into floor prep costs. It's been a learning curve. And we're busy! Which is better than the alternative.

Now I have in front of me a project where the customer insists on Coretec, a click lock LVP on their staircase. This is not a favorable installation in my opinion because the manufactured Coretec flush stairnoses do not click into the planks, nor can they be nailed or screwed in because they are hollow. The solution I've gathered is Masterweld and lots of tape, and supporting shots from a finish-nail gun on the risers and treads. Any tips here would be appreciated.

But the real reason I am posting here is the installation of the carpet runner. Obviously, once the Coretec staircase has been installed, dried, and set up, then the carpet is ready to be installed. The customer has asked for a padless installation.

What are my options here? What I've figured is one, we can either use double-stick tape and upholster with electric stapler where necessary, such as where the tread meets the riser and possible under the stairnoses as well. But I'm not in favor of this.

Personally, I prefer a padded installation, as shifting it to the centered/squared lines is much less difficult, and the tackstrip helps make the crease where the tread meets the riser cleaner. So, what things can I do to ensure a quality installation?

Other notes: The customer may or may not want a metal bar on each step. The customer has also requested as little damage to the Coretec as possible. I say, you can't make an omelette without cracking a few eggs, but I'm keeping this in mind.

Any ideas much appreciated.

2. Daris Mulkin

Daris Mulkin The One and Only Charter Member I Support TFP Senior Member

Use stair rods. Then you only have 2 screw holes on each step Maybe 4 depending on the hardware and how its anchored.

:old:

Daris

3. kwfloors

kwfloors Fuzz on the brain Charter Member I Support TFP Senior Member

No pad, that means glue down.

4. Daris Mulkin

Daris Mulkin The One and Only Charter Member I Support TFP Senior Member

Use the double faced tape for stair treads.

:old:

Daris

5. Mark Brown

Mark Brown On The Surface Flooring I Support TFP

in my experience with runners on hard wood stairs (without pad) I have had much success with stretching the installation by securing the nosing wraps then "leaning into" a knee kicker, staple in the gully and you are golden. Seems to work with a good success rate for me. Best of luck!

• Agree Agree x 1