Carpet Question Lifegard

Discussion in 'Carpet Q&A' started by Mike Antonetti, Jul 9, 2018.

1. Mike Antonetti

Mike Antonetti I Support TFP Senior Member

In the field today ripping out a hardwood entry I pulled back carpet and it revealed a thermoplastic backing. I got no information from my brother other than 435 ft tile removal, 60 ft hardwood removal and the address. I left for work, one block away I recall the address and turn back around for a ramp I left off the truck, houses are elevated and the canals flood the homes. Anyway, I saw wrinkles in the carpet, and other areas I pulled off strip to grind close near the tackstrip the carpet was loose.

So while leaving I ask the customer who did the carpet and how long it’s been down? It was the company who we were doing the work for, and it’s been down only a year, and they came out and stretched it 3 times, homeowner was not happy, they’re going with porcelain plank.

My question, how does this carpet stretch? does the thermal backing stretch? Elastic enough to spring back? Homeowner said company has not had any problems, I said “I know, you’re the only one!”

Attached Files:

2. kylenelson

kylenelson You'll find me on the floor I Support TFP Senior Member

Our shop hasnt sold much of it but no problems yet with what’s gone down

3. SteveG

SteveG Pro Member

I've sold a bunch with no issues. Never seen it wrinkle, but they do want you to double strip it. Maybe a bad install?

4. Mike Antonetti

It looked tweaked outside the master bedroom.(said they’re going to Restretch mbr after tile install) I think it lays flat and doesn’t compress, but raises upward, I think the new aero? Carpet is similar where the backing doesn’t loosen or compress.

5. Roland Thompson

Roland Thompson Charter Member Senior Member

Life guard and Areo are two complete different backing carpets. Life Guard you do need to double strip and power stretch. Areo is a tape around sides and at seams and just roll out.

6. Mike Antonetti

Yes but any compression and they both seem to raise up, just like a carpet tile the backings are stiff, just pointing out the “different animal.” Thanks for the tips.

7. Roland Thompson

Roland Thompson Charter Member Senior Member

Areo has the pad already on it and is in no way stiff. No latex in it.

8. SteveG

SteveG Pro Member

We made a fun display out of some Lifeguard carpet in our store. It held for about 3 days and then developed a drip.

Fish.jpg

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  9. Mike Antonetti

That’s like a live fish? The scalloping and color is brilliant, you guys need awards!

I’d say drips are tolerable over time in field.

My question, how does it stretch? Do you just snug? Uh, now I’m thinking power stretcher punctures it. How do you prevent that?

10. SteveG

SteveG Pro Member

It takes a good stretch and Shaw claims it holds a stretch better as well. I'd think you want to install it in a warm room - but really it can't be worse than installing Fabrica.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. Daris Mulkin

Daris Mulkin The One and Only Charter Member I Support TFP Senior Member

Cotton head or the nap gripper head whichever you call it.

:old:

Daris

12. SteveG

SteveG Pro Member

• Like Like x 1
  13. Mike Antonetti

I will watch that tomorrow, thanks Steve.

Daris I never did buy one of those stretcher heads, wanted to.

Dam good video, She narrated very well, they controlled the whole video, no idiots making their own doing things wrong. Regular powerstretching, I asked the homeowner if they did, she said she didn’t know what that was.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2018
  14. Georgie

Georgie Pro Member

We have installed a bit of this as well, no problems yet other than difficulty staying in Z bar.

• Like Like x 1