Carpet padding wrapping

Discussion in 'Carpet Sales and Installations' started by Mike Antonetti, Feb 6, 2014.

1. Mike Antonetti

Mike Antonetti I Support TFP Senior Member

Inside of the plastic wrapper is a thin layer of plastic, over the years I've dealt with it but now I would like to know its exact purpose, certainly not just to be a hassle , the outer layer is a great pad to throw all the scraps on. Could this thin plastic be eliminated ?

2. polestretch

polestretch Senior Member

If your talking about what I think your talking about....:hmmm: the outer thicker plastic is used to downsize the roll of padding through shipping. When you receive the pad, that outer layer of plastic needs to be removed to allow the padding to regain it's original size.

3. Mike Antonetti

No the inner layer.

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 7, 2014
  4. Elmer Fudd

Elmer Fudd Administwative Asst. Charter Member I Support TFP Senior Member

The inner layer protects the cushion (I hate the word pad) from moisture and dirt during shipping, the outer layer is as Pole says to shrink the roll. If you notice it does NOT go over the ends only the middle.

5. Daris Mulkin

Daris Mulkin The One and Only Charter Member I Support TFP Senior Member

Why??? Its been called that since before my time and yours. Kind of what it is isn't it?

:old:

Daris

6. Elmer Fudd

Elmer Fudd Administwative Asst. Charter Member I Support TFP Senior Member

Cushion sound so much more.........genteel!!

And everyone knows how genteel and sensitive I am!!:ohno::ohno:

7. Mike Antonetti

Why not call it Carpet Underlayment!

8. kylenelson

kylenelson You'll find me on the floor I Support TFP Senior Member

I haven't seen an inner wrapper...must be a regional thing?

9. Jim McClain

Jim McClain Owner/Founder Administrator

The term "pad" is just a nick-name for carpet cushion. Carpet cushion has been the official terminology from the beginning. Why do you think the Carpet Cushion Council chose that name and not Carpet Pad Council? The Carpet & Rug Institute also calls it cushion. And yes, carpet underlayment is also used by some, as is underpadding and prob'ly a few other terms.

Here's an interesting article: Is it Carpet Cushion or Carpet Pad?

Jim

10. polestretch

Are you sure you haven't seen the outer wrapper? The company I work for only buys quality pad...... er I mean carpet cushion.:mad: It only comes with the inner wrapper. Years ago with a different owner, he used to buy the cheapest pad........ er I mean carpet cushion,:mad: and that had the shrink wrap on it. When we would get a truckful of pad......er I mean carpet cushion,:mad: we would run our finger nail down the side of the roll and watch that baby POP!:eek:

11. Nate Hall

Nate Hall Types With Elbows Senior Member Published

If you do the fingernail pop method the inner bag can be used for pad...cushion scraps. The heavy outer wrap can be used for carpet.

12. Jim McClain

Don't be a hater. Education is a good thing. Honest. And no one said you can't use a nick-name. You call yourself polestretch (and many of us have shortened it even further to "pole"), so why can't you call it pad, if you want?

13. polestretch

I was trying to be humorous, but I guess it didn't come across that way. I will ban myself from posting for the next hour as punishment.:p

14. Jim McClain

No, I changed the rules. Bad jokes deserve punishment: drop and give me two-five... posts that is. :D

15. Mike Antonetti

I considered that inner liner trash, maybe I'll try to use it next time.
    Makes sense Elmer about protecting it , I have seen the outer portion ripped quite a bit.
    Usually I'll save the thick plastic from previous jobs for the pad and carpet scraps.

16. Harry Myers

Harry Myers Charter Member

That is the reason why also you should stretch the cushion

17. Kap

Kap Pro Member

I used the inner cheap plastic to put the pad scraps in, and the outer layer for the carpet scraps. I haven't seen pad with an inner layer for a few years. Wish they would bring it back. I have to save plastic covers now so I don't run out.:(

And yes I call it pad. Don't care to try and be (politically correct), if that is what it is. Way too much of that goin on in this country the way it is!:(