Carpet Pad: Rebond or Memory Foam?

Discussion in 'Carpet Q&A' started by VKoenig, Nov 8, 2011.

1. VKoenig

VKoenig Member

I'm finalizing my decision on carpet and have another curve ball coming. One of the finalists sells a memory foam pad. It's about 7/16 to 1/2 inch thick, and the pad puts a nice cushion, especially under pattern carpets. It has a moisture barrier on both sides.

Another finalist sells a "Stainmaster" pad, which is 1/2 inch thick, 6-pound rebond with a moisture barrier on one side. Their standard pad is 1/2 inch 6-pound rebond without a moisture barrier. to my knowledge, they do not offer a 8-pound pad.

I have no pets, and my boys are getting ready to move out.

What is your take on different carpet pads? I've read some of the older posts here and am trying to make a wise decision. Thanks again!

Victoria

2. Chris Mha

Chris Mha Charter Member Senior Member

Check the warranty on the carpet. Most if not all do not recommend cushion thicker than 7/16". I personally would go with an 8 pound but I like a firmer feel.
    I have used a memory foam cushion. No longer available around here. I think it was called sunguard if I remember correctly. I loved the feel of it.

3. polestretch

polestretch Senior Member

We used to sell an Omalon top of the line foam pad 25+ years ago and I can't remember the name of it. It had a lifetime warranty.We more recently sold a blue foam pad that had a yellow backing that the name also slips my mind at the moment that was high end and high priced. I have NEVER seen a foam pad of any quality hold up in the long run. All the foam I have tore out has definitely shown a significant difference from the traffic to the non traffic areas.
    The squishier the pad, the more tendency it has to hurt the carpet, because you are stretching the carpet every time you walk on it and causing stress to the latex that holds the primary and secondary backings together. I personally like the feel of the 6lb density, but in tearouts the 8 lb density holds up a lot better. JMHO

4. ortiz34

ortiz34 2nd generation Senior Member

Go with the 10 lb or an 8 with a spill guard

5. ortiz34

Btw, I reckon stainmasterws pad is an 8lb not a 6lb

6. VKoenig

VKoenig Member

I hope so!

7. VKoenig

VKoenig Member

When the sales rep showed me samples he showed me a "Stainmaster" pad with a moisture barrier, but said it was a 6-pound pad. If it were an 8-pound pad this decision would be a lot easier. Does "Stainmaster" make a 6-pound pad?

8. kylenelson

kylenelson You'll find me on the floor Senior Member

The stainmaster is good pad. I wouldn't go with anything below 8lb pad as Ortiz already mentioned.

9. ortiz34

I do not believe so
    STAINMASTER® Select Carpet Cushion - L&P Urethane

10. kwfloors

kwfloors Fuzz on the brain Charter Member I Support TFP Senior Member

I would go memory foam over rebond any day. Karastan has a good rebond though. We use Karastans' 3/8" foam.

11. FlooringGirl

FlooringGirl Senior Member

Stainmaster is an 8# with a breathable moisture-barrier. This is important. You don't want something that traps moisture, as it will cause it to grow mold. A double barrier would probably do that ... not swearing by it, not familiar with this other product you're talking about, but more than likely.

Memory foam in most instances depresses as you move/walk on it and although it comes back, what does all this movement do to your carpet, and mainly the backing of your carpet? Too much movement causes delamination, or seperation of the carpet backing and the face fibers.

If you find it necessary, I'd go with the Stainmaster pad (it's all over my house!) and be safe. Unless they produce something new I don't know about, it's 8#, just ask them!

However, the base pad I sell is a 7/16" 6# rebond pad. If you don't have pets and kids are moving out, more than that is overkill. Depending on the type of carpet you're getting, you may want to use an 8# rebond for more firmness, that would also be just fine. I never try to upgrade my customers on pad in your situation. Just saying ...

Tia

12. kwfloors

kwfloors Fuzz on the brain Charter Member I Support TFP Senior Member

Why? Aren't you in sales?

13. FlooringGirl

FlooringGirl Senior Member

What are you saying? Sell people something they don't really need just to line your own pocket? See, I don't do that. I only sell people what's approriate for their needs, and that gets me referred and gives me a lot more business. Up front, to the point. I wouldn't want someone to try to sell me something not necessary, so don't do it to anyone else. Period.

Tia

14. Jim McClain

Jim McClain Owner/Founder Administrator

For most residential carpets, 6# 7/16" was the minimum standard when I was in sales and installations. I don't think that has changed in the last 5 years. It's minimum though. That means it's just enough to maintain the carpet warranty. To me, it's too soft, too squishy. My standard pad for a very long time was 7# 7/16" (8# 3/8" for berbers and other loops).

Upgrading the cushion is not a sin, in my book. You can upgrade slightly in cost to get much better comfort, durability and life from the carpet. It has value to both consumer and retailer - better pad for the customer, better profit for the retailer.

I got more referrals because I provided a better product and service, not because I provided the minimum, base product. My 7/7 pad was actually the same price as the Home Depot half-inch, 6 pound pad and my customers could see and feel the difference. And when I explained that same issue with too much flex in the backing, they could also see I cared more about what their carpet would be like years from now.

Your mileage may vary. That was just me.

Jim

15. Tandy Reeves

Tandy Reeves Resting In Peace Charter Member I Support TFP Senior Member

16. Jeff Needham

Jeff Needham Pro Member

As a consumer advisor, I wouldn't generally recommend 6# pad for any common area of a primary home, unless budget were the main focus. Even then, 3/8",8# is the same price as 6#, 7/16", so I'd rather they went that way. Even in a 2 person, master bedroom, I'd suggest the 8#. On a houseful, that usually leaves 2 bedrooms, maybe a home office. Most homeowners, I find, would rather carry on with one pad, for consistent feel, as opposed to saving $20. per room on the average 12 x 15.

Memory Foam. bonded, with memory foam and a moisture barrier, is my upgrade pad. I mention it to every customer, with the reasons they might consider it, and occasionally I recommend it from the outset. Yes, it's partly about making more money, but it is more about providing options for those who need them, and those who WANT them.

As to my making money comment, honestly, that's why we are in business. You have to make money or you won't be here, next year. So, we also learn to buy at better prices, take advantage of terms, find better value products, add on items, etc, to allow us to make better margins. It's not about wringing every last dime out of the consumer.
    Dad used to say, "The lowest priced guy is the guy who 'used' to be there."
    I say," I'm making what I need to, to be here for the next floor, and to service this floor in the future."

17. VKoenig

VKoenig Member

The carpet I'm thinking to get is made by Shaw, it's called "Santa Rosa" in this company's line of carpets. It's a solid colored texture styled carpet; it's a 45 ounce Stainmaster Tactesse. The carpet is just under 1/2" thick but it has a lot of strands close together, so it looks like it will stand up to traffic well. They offer a 60-ounce version called "San Ramon" but I think it's more than what we need (although my toes have been trying to convince me otherwise).

My rep said this about the pad:

"... our 1/2" Super Half that I showed you is a certified 6# pad but it is the same as what the stores sell as an 8# pad. The Stainmaster pad is a certified 7# pad, ... It is a higher density than our 1/2" Super and also than what the stores sell. (My mgr) also told me he just came from a house he did 12 years ago and is putting in new carpet and the pad under it did not break down at all."

I'm not sure I totally understand it, but based on what Tia said, and the fact that I don't have a kids/pet factor in our carpet selection, the Stainmaster pad will probably work well, a little better than minimum but not overkill...

18. Jim McClain

Jim McClain Owner/Founder Administrator

Pardon my bluntness, but that sounds like a load of bull to me. Certified? Ask him who did the certification? If a cushion has a 6# density rating, it's a 6# pad. It's not going to feel as firm as a pad with an 8# rating. Period. And half-inch voids the carpet warranty. That's a "period" too.

More BS. Stainmaster makes an 8# pad, not a 7#. The info on that was already provided: STAINMASTER® Select Carpet Cushion - L&P Urethane

What pad was it they installed 12 years ago? It wasn't Stainmaster pad. It also may not have been the other pad he was pushing. Rebond pad is pretty common - and pretty good pad, in my opinion. Although 6# is the minimum to maintain the warranty, they also make rebond in other densities, both higher and lower.

I worked for a store once whose standard was 4.5# half-inch rebond. Terrible pad, but it also didn't break down like urethane foam pads and rubber waffle pads (the former would look like a sheet of paper and the latter could be swept up after a dozen years).

Sorry, I just get a little irritated with sales people who sound like they know more than they actually do. Maybe he's not familiar with the new technology of computers and the Internet. Even the once-in-a-lifetime flooring consumer can look up or ask for the truth about product quality and information. Well, my words may not be truth, since I've been away from sales and installation for more than 5 years. But at least there's a bunch of pros here who will correct me when I'm wrong and you will push yourself away from your keyboard knowing you've been given accurate information from pros with a combined thousands of years of experience who aren't looking to fill their pockets with your money.

Probably a lot better than minimum and it's good that it's within your budget.

[ame=http://youtu.be/_6LDai_K7lg]Stainmaster Carpet Cushion - YouTube[/ame]

19. cproader

cproader All over T's last nerve Senior Member

Listen to yer toes....and I like the "new" memory foam perticularly the "Heathier choice".....help, I can't figger out which quoty things yer sposeta use fer quotin things.....:eh:

20. VKoenig

VKoenig Member

I guess what I don't understand is: if it's a Stainmaster cushion, and said cushion (according to the link) is 8#, why won't they tell me it's an 8# pad?