carpet over epoxy

Discussion in 'Carpet Q&A' started by Cora, Oct 13, 2017.

Tags:

Can I glue down Trafficmaster commercial carpet right over epoxy painted concrete?

Poll closed Nov 12, 2017.
  1. Yes

25.0%
  2. Yes, but...

75.0%
  3. No

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Cora

Cora New Member

I have an old concrete floor with 10 year old epoxy paint on it. no chipping. I want to glue down commercial grad Trafficmaster carpet. Can I just glue it down or will I ruin the carpet?

2. Chris 45

Chris 45 Director of P.R. on some deserted island. I Support TFP

Commercial grade traffic master carpet. Just saying that scares me especially if you are talking about the 20 OZ variety.

3. kwfloors

kwfloors Fuzz on the brain Charter Member I Support TFP Senior Member

I have glued carpet over epoxy with no problems before. Just be sure it is stuck good to the floor like you say no chipping. It won't ruin the carpet, worse thing is that it would not stick but using a premium multi purpose glue with the correct notch trowel would stick fine. What is the area to be covered?

4. Jim McClain

Jim McClain Owner/Founder Administrator

I fixed your poll above.

5. Mike Antonetti

Mike Antonetti I Support TFP Senior Member

Change my vote? Interesting.

The full scope of situation would be nice. Could end up helping pull up epoxy in future. I think it's a very small risk, I think the slab will still be minimally permeable if there's no moisture issues currently.

6. Incognito

Incognito No more Mr. Nice Guy! I Support TFP Senior Member

Yes, but.............of course the adhesive will bond to the paint. But your finished bond will only be as strong as the epoxy bond to the slab. Pass a floor sander/buffer with 12 grit paper over the epoxy to confirm it's solid.

ALSO, allow the adhesive to really tack up before you drop the carpet into the glue. You don't want to trap excessive moisture under the carpet and allow it to cause mischief with the bond. That's actually always recommended procedure but I was taught to drop the carpet in "the wetter the better" as concrete will absorb moisture and normally it's better to get the most transfer of adhesive onto the backing as possible. It's against the rules, but it works.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1