Carpet on basement concrete floor - drywall mud

Discussion in 'Floor Preparation' started by derenzy, Nov 10, 2015.

1. derenzy

derenzy New Member

Hello - newbie here, I'm finishing my basement.
    Drywallers just left and my basement, concrete floor is a MESS!

I have scraped all the chunks down to level and even, swept and vacuumed.

STILL, there are white spots everywhere
    Even taking water to some of them and scrubbing still leave a slight color

I plan on putting in carpet

How much do I really need to remove of the drywall mud residue?

please and thanks in advance

2. Jim McClain

Jim McClain Owner/Founder Administrator

Stretching carpet over a pad should not be affected by drywall mud residue. As long as it's smooth and flat, you'll be fine.

I deleted your other thread. You only need one.

3. derenzy

derenzy New Member

first of all, thanks, and sorry for the duplicate post, I wasn't sure to put it in carpet or prep category

The mud will all be scrapped and flat...however basement floors "sweat" and drywall mud/drywall can mold...it will then be a mold fest under the pad and or create mold into the pad?

4. Hanover Fist

Hanover Fist Pro Member

What kind of pad are you putting under the carpet?
    Some pads like rebond or natural fiber will allow small amounts of moisture to pass through, others like foam/rubber will lock the moisture down, and the mud CAN mold - but not likely.
    I've only ever seen mold form under pad (and I've pulled up a million jobs) when there was direct water in copious amounts.

5. derenzy

derenzy New Member

hi hanover - thanks for your reply - that is a relief.
    well, its a concrete basement floor that I would like to put c arpet down - what type of padding do you recommend?

6. kylenelson

kylenelson You'll find me on the floor Senior Member

Knock the lumps off, you'll be just fine. If you have that much water coming up then you will have problems in your sheetrock and carpet pad. It's unlikely, sounds like you are worrying about something you don't need to.

7. Hanover Fist

Hanover Fist Pro Member

Hiya!

There's no 'right' pad - it's dependent on the carpet choice and style, the subfloor, and your preferences.
    Me, I like rebond pad, preferably 7/16 8lb pad, with a good 'vapor barrier'.
    Others like rubber and foam rubber because of longevity, but I find they offgas a distinct odor for some time, and are prohibitively expensive for people with a fixed budget.
    Others, (hi Nate!) like the natural fiber pads.

I would discuss the benefits and drawbacks with your retailer, and base your decision on the best fit for your carpet and your feet.
    Try walking on them all.

8. derenzy

derenzy New Member

thanks pal, basement is completely dry, but I know concrete "sweats" so it had me wondering

well, only subfloor is base concrete - but thank you, I haven't looked at pad choices yet. thanks

9. Mike Antonetti

Mike Antonetti I Support TFP Senior Member

Nates at CFI convention right now I believe. I agree even thicker mud doesn't really mold under carpet, doesn't hurt to be informed.

10. Daris Mulkin

Daris Mulkin The One and Only Charter Member I Support TFP Senior Member

Concrete sweats when the dew point and the ambient air get to the right temperature and moisture content. With carpet and pad get on the floor the air does not come into direct contact with the floor. Insulated by the carpet and pad. I don't think you have anything to worry about unless there is a flood and then there are all kinds of things to worry about.

:old:

Daris