Carpet on a circular staircase

Discussion in 'Carpet Q&A' started by Steve Olson, May 24, 2006.

1. Steve Olson

Steve Olson Hardwood/Laminate Guru Charter Member Senior Member

Now there is something I've never done, but would be interested in learning how. keeping the pattern on match, are they one piece, or cap and band. Do you work top down, or bottom up? Any suggestions?

2. Nick Arrera

Nick Arrera Traitor

I cap and band my steps , i start from the bottom .. If its a runner i scribe the sides for the turn ..

3. Chris Flynn

Chris Flynn Charter Member Published

SK... I like to keep the pattern centered and running with the risers. Runners always get bound or serged, I do not like turned and wovens do not turn at all, in my opinion.... I always start from the bottom on round stairways , and I always use one piece with each step. I only cap and band steps that are curved on the nose.

Attached Files:

4. Tandy Reeves

Tandy Reeves Resting In Peace Charter Member I Support TFP Senior Member

That is truly beautiful work. Thanks for sharing it with us. As inspectors we only get to see the ones that are not so good in other words just plain ole ugly.

5. Steve Olson

Steve Olson Hardwood/Laminate Guru Charter Member Senior Member

Wow! Do you give lessons??;) Maybe you could do a pictorial, nest time you do one, and post the pics here. You are a master craftsman, for sure! Awesome job!

6. Danny Ferguson

Danny Ferguson Abbey Carpet & Floor Charter Member

Those are sweet Chris.:D I don't think I have ever seen a spiral staircase in my town.:confused:

7. Jim McClain

Jim McClain Owner/Founder Administrator

Chris, I'm tired just looking at those steps. Very beautiful work.

Steve, I usually work from the bottom up on circular steps. I could count the number of patterned carpet jobs on one hand though. These kind of steps, whether waterfall or upholstered, are more time consuming and require more materials, so even the labor costs will be much higher. I like doing steps. Some are a challenge. They always seem to get more attention than the rooms as far as customer satisfaction.

Jim