Carpet not attached to tackstrip

Discussion in 'Carpet Q&A' started by Kzeinstra, Apr 28, 2018.

1. Kzeinstra

Kzeinstra Member

New carpet install yesterday. I thought the install look good, but while vacuuming I noticed buckling around a register. Taking a better look, the carpet isn't attached to the tackstrips in several places around the room. You can just pull it up. You can also pull the carpet up in the middle of the room a good 3/4 and it goes back down slowly. Installer also broke my vertical blinds and said nothing about it. Carpet store is having the installer come out and talk to me about the problems. Any suggestions on how to handle the installer when he comes back to fix the issue?

2. Mike Antonetti

Mike Antonetti Senior Member

Do you have Weapons?

• Like Like x 2
  3. Kzeinstra

Kzeinstra Member

Odd question, are you implying I'm going to have to threaten him or he's going to steal them?

• Funny Funny x 1
  4. Mike Antonetti

They didn’t power stretch the installation, very common.

Is the appt set?

I would cancel appt till some more talking is done. We don’t have all the details for entire transaction.

The weapons comment means this, they ought to be shot for not installing correctly. But, this is my opinion. - I believe installers are not compensated properly for the work they do! Now if we go backward, how did you arrive at this “situation”? I assume you shopped price and not quality installation, but many other factors included.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Kzeinstra

Kzeinstra Member

He is coming back on Monday afternoon. I used the carpet stores installer, assuming it was going to be installed properly. Since the store is having me deal with him and I need to know what he did wrong, so it can be fixed properly. I don't want to be taken advantage of again.

6. Barry Carlton

Barry Carlton I Support TFP Senior Member Published

It's hard to say whether it is laziness or inexperience.
    Many do not properly stretch the carpet with poles. Most either "kick" the carpet with a kicker or use a device called a "stinger" on the end of the stretcher head. The stinger pokes a hole in the carpet and stick into the wood subfloor the simulate a stretch. This qualifies as laziness.

Sometimes the carpet backing is very stiff and warm air is needed to relax the backing to the point where it can rest on the pins of the tackstrip and hook properly. Most do not know that this is necessary or a viable solution to a stiff backing. This is inexperience.

Then it is possible that the old tackstrip had pins that are not able to hook the carpet due to age, or damage. Not noticing or changing the strip in this case could be either laziness or inexperience.

As you can see there many variables that could have contributed to the situation you described.

7. Kzeinstra

Kzeinstra Member

I do agree some do not get compensated for their service, but this installer made almost $600 for 2 1/2 hours of shotty work.

8. Kzeinstra

Kzeinstra Member

Good information, thank you. Tackstrip is 26 years old. Talked with carpet store, they said installer has been doing this for years and is experienced. He saw the pics I sent and has no idea for why the carpet isn't tacked down and clueless about the broken vertical blinds. I told them that if he was experienced, then it was plane laziness. I asked for another installer to come out. If someone is that dishonest to not own up to bad work and breaking my blinds, I don't want them back. Hopefully second installer will do it correctly. Next time I will find my own reputable installer.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Daris Mulkin

Daris Mulkin The One and Only Charter Member I Support TFP Senior Member

Were you there when it was installed to see how it was done? A power stretcher is a device that goes from one wall to another. It is not electrical as the power part could tell you. Sounds like it wasn't used. It shouldn't be that loose. Also like others have said tackstrip could be bad but I doubt it unless it got wet and the pins rusted off. You say it is by a register which tells me there is a window there and if left open and rained on that could have happened. You also don't say what type of carpet it is whether is is a tufted or woven. Wovens can sometimes a bear to get to hook depending on the type of woven. Been there done that.
    Either way give the store a chance on rectifying the problem. But be happy with the outcome.

:old:

Daris

10. Mark Brown

Mark Brown On The Surface Flooring I Support TFP

Carpet installation is at an all time low. Less than ideal installations are at an all time high.
    More than likely you carpet was not properly stretched as was referenced above. To properly stretch most broadloom carpet pole stretches are required. The amount of stretch will vary between carpets but a rule of thumb set out by the carpet and rug institute is 1-1.5% of the total length of the rug in stretch. For 10 feet of carpet that translates roughly to an inch. Most commonly installers are cutting net and bunting in resulting in a stretch of generally less than .25 inches. You can see how this is not ideal. If when picked up in the middle of an installation your carpet "floats" back down, it is improperly stretched. There are many additional aspects of installation that need to be observed for properly stretched installations such as additional tack strip, properly bonded seams and appropriate stretching patterns. Most installers float through with bunt and run because most consumers are not generally aware of the installation specifications of carpet and they simply do not know better. Why would they right, you thought you hired a professional. A properly installed piece of carpet is a rare breed.

11. Mike Antonetti

Is it a mobile home? Power stretching may not have been viable.

600$? There is the opposite, not providing good install, then taking the money.

On the blinds, - they deteriorate over time, plasticizer migration, get brittle and easily break. Just replaced all but one set of mine.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2018
  12. Kzeinstra

Kzeinstra Member

I was not there the whole time, but when I was I didn't watch him. I've had carpet installed by another store and never had a problem. I chose this store because they had the carpet I wanted and my local store couldn't get it for me. It's a low cut pile carpet, but an installer should know to install any carpet. Tackstrips are not rusted, but they are 26 years old. It's not tacked in several throughout the room.

13. Mike Antonetti

Tell me your blinds are less than 5 years old?

I had two plastic items that were broke today, a toilet flange the cheesy thin piece between the bolts cracked on outside, so I busted that out and replaced.

Then after vacuuming the pool I change back to open the skimmer valve and it snaps. I got no sympathy for plastic.

Attached Files:

• Funny Funny x 1
  14. Daris Mulkin

Mike you are totally wrong about not being able to power stretch mobile homes. I would hate to guess how many of those I have done in 52 years and power stretch them. Just saying.

Daris

Last edited: Apr 28, 2018
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. Daris Mulkin

Sir/mam that should be true but that is not the case no matter what trade you are dealing with or profession for that matter. Sorry.

Daris

16. Kzeinstra

Kzeinstra Member

We have a stick built home, no mobile home.

152493665274756829137.jpg 1524936685434658405368.jpg 15249367068431471938007.jpg

They are 26 year old cloth blinds. I have a pool as well, I feel your pain, lol.

It is a woven carpet.

17. Barry Carlton

Barry Carlton I Support TFP Senior Member Published

The carpet in the top picture does not look like a woven piece.

As to the damage to the blinds, I agree that if the installer did damage the blinds or the mechanism, which is possible, he should take ownership of his mistake. That is why he carries insurance.

18. Jim McClain

Jim McClain Owner/Founder Administrator

If you sent them pictures of the flooring, why not share them with us? The one photo of your carpet seems to indicate it is a tufted carpet, not woven. But that doesn't tell us what backing it has either and some backings can be more difficult to stretch than others. I would guess most people don't like to own up immediately to their mistakes. You should give the original installer a chance to make this right. In some states, it's the law.

This is a power stretcher:
    cpt_install038.jpg

carpet-stretching.jpg

This is that stinger/spike that was mentioned as the lazy man's way to stretch:
    carpet-stretching-with-stinger.jpg

Sometimes an "installer" won't even do that, they just kick the carpet in with one of these (which are properly used as placement tools, not stretching tools):
    cpt_install035.jpg

I remember breaking some vertical blinds once. It happened when I was moving my stretcher and snagged the chain on one of the pins protruding from the bottom of the head:
    carpet-stretcher-head-pins.jpg

I was careless and had to pay for new blinds. Yours may be able to be fixed with just parts, but if your installer has any honor, he/she will step up - even if reluctantly.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. Mike Antonetti

I agree as well you should move forward for your complaints. I changed my blinds to one rod which push open twist close. I shortened the rope on one instead of replacing. I was thinking the pins for each blind broke, many times they just fall out without much effort, that’s pre existing in my opinion. Yours is excessive, a rail is fairly cheap.

No reason for not using a power stretcher that I see. Instantly being loose it’s their fault. Inspectors usually look for a distortion on the backing of carpet above the tackstrip where when powerstretched and set with spreader the backing tries to pull back hence keeping tension on the carpet.

Carpet cleaners are probably frustrated with loose carpet as well. You may want to check on your vacuum and recommendations, the beater bar can wear the carpet quicker if it’s too low.

20. kylenelson

kylenelson You'll find me on the floor I Support TFP Senior Member

What was the name of that store? $600 for a 3 hr job, I may be willing to move!

But seriously, you’re not at fault for a subpar installation regardless of what you paid. You hired a pro and didn’t get pro work. Give the guy a chance to fix and if he cant or won’t then you’ll have to ask the shop to send someone capable. Don’t pay until you are satisfied, that’s your only leverage.

• Agree Agree x 1