Carpet making popping sound near baseboards

Discussion in 'Carpet Q&A' started by Titan7, Jun 2, 2015.

1. Titan7

Titan7 Member

Had new carpet and padding installed on second floor, in one spot in the hallway right near the baseboard I am getting some intermittent popping sound. It does not sound like the floor, sound like the sound of carpet on the tack strip? If I push down on the carpet over the take strip I can reproduce a similar pop sound? Perhaps carpet is moving on the tack strip when people walk by?

I guess I could pull it up in that area to see if I stops?

Open to any suggestions.

Thanks!

2. kwfloors

kwfloors Fuzz on the brain Charter Member I Support TFP Senior Member

It might be a part of the rebond pad maybe. Just have to look first and see if you can find anything there.

3. Titan7

Titan7 Member

It's Mohawk smart cushion 8lb pad, it's glued down on the edge next to the tack strip.

Perhaps not stretched enough? Causing movement and popping?

4. kwfloors

I don't know that pad, someone else would. It might be a weak spot in the tackstrip as I have seen voids in plys that could do that.

5. Jim McClain

Jim McClain Owner/Founder Administrator

I don't know why this wasn't suggested... call the installer back. Any true flooring professional wants you to be a satisfied customer. They should be willing to come look at any problem and solve it as best they can.

Jim

6. Chris Mha

Chris Mha Charter Member Senior Member

I agree with Jim. A new install call the retailer to look at it first. Sounds like the carpet may not be firmly hooked on the tack strip.

7. Mike Antonetti

Mike Antonetti I Support TFP Senior Member

Chris I'm not sure you are agreeing with Jim, he says installer, you say retailer. I believe retailer should have their people check first, unless installer is employee. If independent and it's not installers fault due to product, then a fee should be charged back to party responsible.

8. Hanover Fist

Hanover Fist Pro Member

The Mohawk 8lb is blue/green, right?
    I've had problems with the Carpet Direct pad, which is a Mohawk brand, having bits of plastic in the pad that when stepped on, pop.
    It's easy to remove, once the carpet is up.
    Taking carpet up in a hallway is dicey, your seams will never be 100% again, even with the best re-install.
    Time to call your retailer - it's likely they will send the original installer - but start at the top of the food chain.

9. kylenelson

kylenelson You'll find me on the floor I Support TFP Senior Member

Are we sure it's not duct tape they are hearing?

10. Jim McClain

Jim McClain Owner/Founder Administrator

No one here can be sure of anything, not even if the installer was independent or an employee of the retailer. We don't have enough information. My advice was based on the last person in the home prior to the noise. That would be the installer, right? Well, it would stand to reason, the right person to figure out what the problem is, would be the installer. Now, if the home owner has to call the retailer to get the installer out there, or if they can call the installer direct, then that's what they should do. You can bet your bottom dollar that no one BUT an installer will be the one to pull the carpet back to find out what the problem is.

We can play guessing games all day and all night, but I don't see how this will result in any satisfaction for the OP. Maybe I was being unrealistic, but I just thought the most logical thing to do would be to give the installer the opportunity to resolve the issue. I know that's what I would want, if I were the installer. So, if the only way to contact the installer is through the retailer, then that's what needs to be done.

Jeesh.

11. kwfloors

Most store owners here aren't installers so they would send one out anyway.

12. Mike Antonetti

Mike Antonetti I Support TFP Senior Member

Well maybe we're conversing the same thing.

There is a chain of command as some of us are prior military, it's the same way. Who is your point of contact? They should ask you questions and determine somewhat the issue. They will write up a customer service ticket with installers name if needed. I just want to be paid if it's not my fault. I am assuming as Hanover that it's a non uniform piece of material in the mix.

I can't walk on every square inch and listen and feel for uniformity. My one foot was crushed, two different pressures per foot, and my one boot squeaks anyway.

So I think we haven't gotten paid for a couple of service calls that were not our fault. The quality of products, how do I know what expectations are, I didn't purchase this stuff, you get what you pay for! Not to you op but I am not quality control, we are just putting product in and who am I to judge what you have bought.

13. Titan7

Titan7 Member

I did call the retailer, they had a sales guy come out he thinks it's the floor. Tough one to figure out, it does not sound like the sub floor, I have a couple of those. I did carefully pull the edge up and the sound was similar to what I was hearing. I did not see anything wrong with the tack strip.

The padding is pink with a white moisture barrier on top. I did push the padding back in place and the intermittent noise is much less.

I am calling the them again to have them send the installer back out, since it has to be power stretched again since I pulled it up. I figure, I hope the installer will know what's going on.

We will not pull it up as I agree the seams will never be the same.

I figure he can re- stretch it and that's it. If that does not solve it I may cut the drywall below in the garage and see if there is an issue there. I can't imagine as I put about 100 deck screws the creaking areas when the old carpet was out. There was no creak there.

14. Titan7

Titan7 Member

The install was February 17th. It's sort of done this since install, I have just been busy on other projects.

It's only this spot. I know you guys know what it sounds like when carpet backing pops on a tack strip, that's what this sounds like.

15. Chris Mha

Chris Mha Charter Member Senior Member

That doesn't matter to me. If the carpet was sold by a retailer they should be the first ones to address complaints. Quite often it can be an issue not related to installation and this is the retailers customer not the installers.

16. Daris Mulkin

Daris Mulkin The One and Only Charter Member I Support TFP Senior Member

At first when I read this I thought that your substrate was cement just by what you said that the pad was glued down. Then I read that you put drywall screws into the floor so now I thinking it is wood plus the fact you can get under it from the garage. Pad is usually glued on concrete, not wood. On wood it is stapled. The glue could be holding down the compressed pad when stepping on it then when it releases it will make a popping sound. But I would bet it is a flooring problem under the carpet and it may even be not where you are hearing it as sound travels. I'm thinking it is a nail that is not holding under the wall. I have run into that many times. The floor moves up and down not the wall.
    I hope you find your problem as noises can be very annoying.
    If you have the carpet loose at the spot of noise I would definitely pull that piece of base and check for the sound there. You may have to cut a hole in the drywall below the top of the base line and put in some long screws to stop the movement. Would save another charge to install that wall again.
    In my 49 years of installing I don't know the sound of carpet popping on the tackstrip. It is more of a grinding or tearing sound.

:old:

Daris

17. mgd

mgd Pro Member

I agree with KW i've had this problem with smart pad before.I bet it is a hard piece of plastic in pad .

18. Titan7

Titan7 Member

Thx! Yes it on a 2nd story plywood floor, Mohawk requires their smart cushion be perimeter glued not stapled. The installer Iran employee of the retailer. He has been there 15+ yrs, he did a good job,

I hear you on the loose nail under the wall on the bottom plate, I had that same issue in another room.

They are coming back out to power stretch this section again. If the sound is still there I will cut the dry wall open below in the garage and see if there is a gap between the joist and subfloor and glue shim in place. yes noises can be really bug you. Thx for the advise!!

19. Terhorst

Terhorst Pro Member

I am not big on the Smart cushion, it is very inconsistent with thickness from one side to the other and the spill guard plastic layer is loose quite often on the edges and it makes a crackling plastic sound, very poor quality pad with inconsistent thickness and hard plastic pieces.