Carpet Installed Doesn't Look Like Sample

Discussion in 'Carpet Q&A' started by RMP, Jun 14, 2017.

1. RMP

RMP New Member

Hello all. Glad to be here - I won't waste any time getting right to it. My wife and I are working with a local contractor / flooring company - they have taken great care of us so far. Our issue is not with them. Our issue, is with how our carpet reads after half of it has been installed. We recognize that lighting and wall color can play a large role, that said, when we chose the deer valley luxury brand from dreamweaver carpet - we have found that it does not present as a multi-fleck, brown, taupe and gray - it is a solid sheet of gray with blue hues to it - needless to say, not what we were going for. We have asked our contractor to reach out to dreamweaver - which they have, and they have submitted the pictures of the sample and a portion of the carpet. We've been told that after the walls are painted and the carpet has been vacuumed a handful of times, that the carpet will start to bloom and the other colors will pop out. Does this sound reasonable? If the sample is close to the actual carpet that was delivered, but still looks off once it's placed in a room - what can I do? We built an entire color pallet for our dream home off of the walls and carpet - and, now, we have a concrete gray slab of carpet on the floor. How should I proceed with getting this remedied? Attached below are a series of pictures that hopefully help tell the story - thank you for your input.

- Robert

Attached Files:

2. Jim McClain

Jim McClain Owner/Founder Administrator

One of the problems with samples is you hold them up to your face when you would never do that with the carpet on the floor. It's like magnification - the flecks and variations will be more pronounced. When you see it at a greater distance, it doesn't match what you saw in the sample.

Looking at the last photo shows the sample and the scrap from your job look nearly identical, except for the dye lot difference. Two of your photos are identical and seem to show the scrap on top of the installed carpet is turned the wrong way from the actual pile direction. And the first 2 photos show just what I described, the carpet in the room just as you and everyone else sees it and the sample in closeup, where you can see every yarn and color difference defined.

Maybe it would be easier to see a problem if the floor was vacuumed and brushed, like the sample looks when people brush its pile with their hands and foot traffic isn't apparent.

It might just be me. I'm old and my eyeballs have wrinkles. But on my monitor, I don't see a problem.

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. Mike Antonetti

Mike Antonetti I Support TFP Senior Member

Part of it is transportation/packing on a roll. The fibers lay flat, so vacuuming lifts pile. Other reasons all contribute together, here they are, ball them up. Lighting, when it hits the side of the fiber there is some reflection and that color is many shades brighter. Your angle of view, probably at a 45 degree angle average also reflects light.

The vacuuming lifts the pile changing the angle and allowing more of a side of fiber view.

Pile direction- carpet fiber tends to lay down in one direction. Look at it from one side, you see deep into the pile and shows darker shade, look from other side, reverse angle the light reflects. When we were installing the pile direction always layed toward front of house, if single rooms layed toward walking in door.

The sample is not crushed, fibers are loose, open to take on deeper view.

You may need to ask for a darker color, not sure if your product allows for satisfaction warranty, I'm not familiar what carpet manufacturer/product specifically guarantees your exact situation but it's built into cost of that particular model carpet.

4. Incognito

Incognito No more Mr. Nice Guy! I Support TFP Senior Member

I agree with what Jim said. Your sample piece will have been cut from a different dye lot so there will be normal shade variation. That combined with the lighting, angle and "roll crush" from shipping account for the tragic differences people perceive between an installed carpet and a show room sample.

The line about how it will vacuum/walk out is pretty much what everyone associated with the industry says about such complaints to a customer because it seems to pacify them 90-99% of the time til they either forget about the problem or give up complaining.

Looks like a pretty nice carpet to me. So then the neighbors or family come round and say------"Ohhhh, what a nice new carpet" and you start learning to live with it.

That's how that works.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. kylenelson

kylenelson You'll find me on the floor I Support TFP Senior Member

I would bet a large sum of money that any claim you try with a mill would be denied because it is within tolerance. I don't see a big issue, although perception becomes reality and you are perceiving a problem. I don't think you're going to notice in a month

6. RMP

RMP New Member

Thank you all for the input and support. This site is as advertised - I have a lot of good feedback to consider.

- Robert

• Like Like x 1
  7. Mike Antonetti

I'm getting all new daylight led lights in the house, I don't know if it's right or not but pale isn't doing it for me. Daylight! I bet Seattle sells the hell out of them. Anyway, just wanted to show how the different lighting affects s color, neat display at lowes.

Attached Files:

• Informative Informative x 2
  8. kylenelson

kylenelson You'll find me on the floor I Support TFP Senior Member

I prefer soft white, I don't like the blue hues of the daylight bulb

9. Mike Antonetti

I didn't even see the background paint, just looked at swatches. The wall paint in daylight bulb does look blue, I'm going to have to go back and look at it again.

We use to say at Lowes to take the carpet sample home due to flourescent lighting inside, didn't realize it could be that drastic.

10. kwfloors

kwfloors Fuzz on the brain Charter Member I Support TFP Senior Member

Samples get old and lines in the mill change. We've seen this happen. The only way to do it is to get a sample off the roll in the warehouse to match your colors to. That way you get exactly what it is.

11. Jeff Short

Jeff Short Veteran Flooring Retailer

I had an installer call me from a job many years ago saying the customer said the color was wrong. I printed off a copy of the manufacturers delivery receipt and the customers invoice, grabbed the sample board, and headed to the job. I figured it was probably a dye lot variation, and wanted to reassure them that they got what they ordered. Got there, and... yup, wrong color. When we figured it all out, what had happened was a mistake in the manufacturers sample department. Two samples got switched on the deck board. We discovered this when I grabbed a duplicate deckboard we (fortunately) had in the store. It took a little detective work, but we figured it out.

12. Ed

Ed Charter Member

A little off topic but I always was afraid of ordering the wrong color due to customers pulling the little color swatches off of the board to view them and then putting them back in the wrong slot while they had samples in their possession.