Carpet Installation Question

Discussion in 'Carpet Q&A' started by VJAY, Aug 9, 2017.

1. VJAY

VJAY New Member

I bought carpet w/ installation from a company. Is it usual to ask for the company to install the carpet using CRI standards? Also what about asking if their installers are certified? I just want to make sure its installed right.
    A demo crew already removed the existing carpet/pad and their work was sloppy and incomplete. They left pieces of padding on the stairs and I had to tell them to remove it. They didnt sweep claiming the installation crew will do that. I didnt buy from any discount store so I'm expecting an exceptional job and so far well below my expectations and the carpet is not even installed!

2. Jim McClain

Jim McClain Owner/Founder Administrator

Since most consumers aren't aware of the standards, it's probably not usual. I wish it was... actually, I wish it was one of the selling points of retailers, so consumers wouldn't even have to ask. Unfortunately, there are many retailers who aren't made aware of CRI-104 or CRI-105.

Do ask though. It shows you know something about what you should expect from an installation. You can also ask if their installers are certified, but too few are and it's still no guarantee that your installer will follow the practices he or she was trained and certified in. But when the installer knows you are that knowledgeable, they may do their best to do the job right.

You shouldn't hesitate to bring up the fact that the service has not been up to your expectations so far. Leaving behind a mess for someone else to clean up, and for you to be exposed to the dangers of is unacceptable. There should be no chunks of pad to stub your foot on or for new pad to be installed over. The installers should be able to walk into a properly prepared and clean jobsite.

Here is a copy of the latest CRI-105 (PDF) for you to download and print. You might want to gift them a copy. Please let us know how it goes.

3. Chris Mha

Chris Mha Charter Member Senior Member

Unfortunately it's seen all to often. This was my job yesterday. I was told it was so ready for us

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  4. Mike Antonetti

Mike Antonetti I Support TFP Senior Member

No, it's not usual. Doubtful they will install to the standards, but that doesn't mean you will have an installation issue.

The main things are proper use of power stretcher and sealed seams.

5. Chris Mha

Mike is correct. It us unfortunate that the demo crew didn't meet your expectations.

6. Roland Thompson

Roland Thompson Charter Member Senior Member

Ask away, it is your right.

• Like Like x 2
  7. Chris Mha

As Roland said. It is your right. It is also your house and your money so by all means mention it to the retailer

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. VJAY

VJAY New Member

Thanks for all the responses. I have learned a lot reading through the forums last night about carpet in general and installation. I wish I found this forum before signing the contract. I did mention the problems to the owner and essentially he didnt have much of a response. I did tell him I wanted a different crew for installation as I do not trust them to a correct install.

My questions now are:
    1. How can you verify that the installer is certified? The owner is a carpet contractor that is licensed that I verified but does each worker installing the carpet need a certification?

2. If the owner is either not aware of the CRI standards or refuses to install by the standards, would that be grounds to terminate the contract? And if I can, should I terminate the contract?

I would lean towards terminating if he has no clue about CRI especially after the sloppy demo. But it seems that he is in the business for 10-15+ years so I would hope he is aware it exists.

9. VJAY

VJAY New Member

Thats horrible and easily a hazard walking up the stairs. Mine was as bad or worse - there were huge chunks of padding stuck on the flat portion of the stair on nearly every step. I should have taken a picture. They were about to leave in their truck before I called them back.
    There are also smaller pieces like yours in random locations throughout the house.

10. kylenelson

kylenelson You'll find me on the floor I Support TFP Senior Member

The guys doing the tear out sound like they skipped the hard stuff. The easy part is cutting the carpet up and getting it out of the door.

• Agree Agree x 1