carpet for stairs

Discussion in 'Carpet Q&A' started by Brad, Jan 20, 2011.

1. Brad

Brad Guest

I need to put new carpet on our stairs.
    Is there any type of carpet that is best (or worse) for this application?

2. Bearman

Bearman Pro Member

Pick out the best carpet & PAD you can afford if you want to keep your stairs looking as good as the rest of the house carpet. Step nosing's take the most abuse of your carpet in the house.

3. kylenelson

kylenelson You'll find me on the floor Senior Member

Hi Brad, welcome to the Floor Pro. Berber is a strong performer on stairs because of it's tight loops. A looser "shag" type carpet will likely show more wear in a shorter amount of time. But, that doesn't mean that all "shag" type carpets will wear down unreasonably on a set of steps. Alot of it has to do with what kind of fiber the carpet is made out of. A good bet is a good quality nylon carpet. Make sure that you get an 8lb or higher density pad as well.

4. Daris Mulkin

Daris Mulkin The One and Only Charter Member I Support TFP Senior Member

Along with that high density pad make sure the installer puts pad over the nose of the step not just up to the edge. It will wear much longer. Also a piece of duct tape on the pad on the nose also will make it wear even longer.

Daris

5. stullis

stullis Charter Member Senior Member

Check out Shaw's Anything Goes line of offerings.

According to them they are only one's who offer a warranty that covers carpet on stairs.

6. Isabella Flooring

Isabella Flooring Pro Member

There are several MILLS now that guarantee carpet on stairs Mohawks SmartStrand with triexta and shaw has a peice now, Mohawks new revive (new this year) also has a guarantee poly branded with WEAR DATED

7. rusty baker

rusty baker Well-Known Member

When we were selling cheap crapet, we would advise the customer to buy enough carpet to have the stairs done again in the future. The room carpet would last twice as long as the stairs.

8. cproader

cproader All over T's last nerve Senior Member

Knew an installer once who would fold a half step under his bottom riser. His reason was if the nosin wears, he could come back and shift everthing a half step to put the worn spot at the stair (fer lack of a better word) crotch.....:eek:......bet that didn't ever work out too good....:ohno:

9. Daris Mulkin

That was the way it used to be. They shifted the stair carpet when the carpet wore on the nose. Still looked like crap but got more wear out of it.
    I think I shifted one set stairs.

Daris

10. cproader

cproader All over T's last nerve Senior Member

:blink:...really. I thought he was crazy fer even thinkin that was gonna work. Would think the mangled nap would make fer an ugly nosin......:eh:

11. Daris Mulkin

What it did was move the worn area 6" back up onto the step. Still had the ugly spot but the nose looked great from down below.
    The first time I saw it done I thought it still looked like crap, but back then carpet was a leisure not a must have.

Daris

12. Demonseed

Demonseed Pro Member

A weird artifact of installing, I learned to do that with stair runners and brass rod installs. As daris said, the idea was you could pull out the tacks and shift the wear mark, but I never actually went back to a job to do that.

On a different note, when I install stairs and the last riser ends to a bull nose, I fold the carpet back and tack it in that way.

13. FlooringGirl

FlooringGirl Senior Member

There's such a difference in carpets between "wearing" on steps or "looking worn" on steps. Since they have such a concentrated area of walking, most anything will show a traffic pattern. I'm one to suggest that customers get enough extra carpet to replace the step carpet at some point. Besides the traffic pattern, they are harder to clean.

Tia

14. Ed

Ed Charter Member

The bottom step will be the first to show soiling and wear, even when the rest look good. Unless it is a custum runner , it usually is not that big of a deal to replace that one step. There will be at least that much left.

15. rusty baker

rusty baker Well-Known Member

Not with some of the people I have worked for. I worked for one that allowed 1" per room.

16. Ed

Ed Charter Member

You can't save em all Rusty

17. FlooringGirl

If you do your job right, there won't be much left, as Rusty indicates. Oops, he didn't indicate that was from doing a job properly ... :D I've heard of jobs where the scraps can be carried in a sandwich baggie, which is not a good thing!

Anyway, if the bottom step goes bad, it won't be limited to just that one. Problems progress. If there is a dilemma, it won't stop there, it will spread up the staircase. I agree to getting enough extra carpet to redo a staircase, as they wear faster. Also have heard of the "shifting carpet" idea, but it doesn't really make sense for the most part.

Actually saw where it had been done in a house built in 1850, they had the wool carpet runners on the steps shifted at some point. Obviously, it was pretty obvious, which is why I can say this with certainty.

Tia

18. FlooringGirl

He can save me any time he wants! ;)

Tia

19. Jon Scanlan

Jon Scanlan That Kiwi Charter Member I Support TFP Senior Member

They used to do that here as well, but that was 30 odd years ago with the Axminsters and I have never heard of a carpet layer doing it these days And as Rusty says they don't get enough bits left over to do it now

20. Daris Mulkin

Some of the stores I've worked for over the years used to sell the customer enough carpet to replace the top 3 steps and the bottom 3 steps. They are the ones that wear the fastest and most. They catch the speed. But that has fallen by the wayside over the years. Customers always threw out the leftover for it or made rugs out of it.

Daris