Carpet and Rug Institute and 4-way stretch

Discussion in 'Carpet Q&A' started by inyourface, May 9, 2006.

1. inyourface

inyourface Guest

Someone emailed me about my message to the public and kindly explained that by CRI's rules, that I was wrong.

He cited,--The 4-way stretch is the recommended procedure from CRI105 Carpet Installation Standard CRI-105 I think there is a diagram there.

Now for most installers, just powerstretching is more than they will do, but there are guys that do powerstretch.

I am not one to powerstretch 4 ways, but if any of you are, please speak-up. I have seen problems with the two set walls and two powerstretched walls, so adding in the extra steps brings in double the trouble for me.

From what I know, powering just two walls is enough and I believe the CRI has taken the stretch way to far, but since I like to be thurough, I'm open to debate if any here wish to play the devils advocate.

2. Elmer Fudd

Elmer Fudd Administwative Asst. Charter Member I Support TFP Senior Member

Jim, if you look carefully at that CRI link you will see that you are only powering the length. Yes, look carefully. I have an older 105 book and it shows 8 steps instead of 7. It would be interesting to see which is correct.
    BTW, how are you feeling?

3. inyourface

inyourface Guest

I didn't look at the link. The person that pm'd me said it was powerstretching in all 4 directions. I just thought I'd see what was up.

Feeling? Not too bad thanks. I can't run anymore and I don't sleep as long, but otherwise, not bad, thanks.

Maybe the person that emailed me, mis-understood about powering 4 ways. I'll go look.

4. inyourface

inyourface Guest

As long as men believe that the diagram is correct, who am I to challenge it. Sometimes it's better just to get along, because nothing in this industry has changed so far.

5. Tex

Tex Charter Member

Huh... you're right about the new CRI105... the old one clearly states "4-way stretch" but the new one does not. (the older archived version is available on the site as well). The new one still states you must get 1-1.5% stretch length and width - which is what I suppose they have always meant by a 4-way stretch anyway. Makes sense I guess... if you get 1% stretch in the length there is no reason to get any more the opposite direction.

6. inyourface

inyourface Guest

Ah, now I see the play on words. Cool, but at least from all I know Tex, the stretch is actually in just 2 directions, UNLESS they were advocating that we should set the two walls and then power away the other walls and then they would have us power back to the two set walls.

I don't believe they ment for that to be, but I could be wrong. They should consider more.

7. Lo Down

Lo Down Old as dirt member Charter Member Senior Member

I think it is just that the diagrams are poorly written. The 7 steps look like what we would easily describe as a two way stretch to me... the same way most all of us do it.
    Jim, I think by the time we start stretching back into our starting walls, it quickly has the likings of the infamous Karastan 29 way stretch. :D They need to change the diagrams............ after 30 years of flooring work, the diagram still confuses the heck out of me.

8. inyourface

inyourface Guest

That diagram goes against common sense in at least a couple of ways. It would be nice if they learn someday. I won't say what I believe, because of all that has happened in the past. I will simply say that' so others may study and fix the problem.

9. Tex

Tex Charter Member

Well, it looks like that HAVE learned... at least about that. I agree that the diagram is confusing - but they did drop the words "4-way stretch" from the most recent release.

10. Lo Down

Lo Down Old as dirt member Charter Member Senior Member

I hadn't even notice that Tex. Besides, I have never been allowed to install carpet in a room that shape......... I mean... where are the walk in closet, heater vents, angled walls, bumpy river rock fireplace hearth, island, dog, cat and two small children? :)

11. J Jeff Johnson

J Jeff Johnson seriously disturbed toon Charter Member

too funny! :)

What I see (that I usually don't do ) is that they power the weft before they power the warp. The reasoning, I believe is because carpet usually wrinkles in the weft because it's not stretched enough....either because it's kicked or not powered at least 1%.

Last edited: May 14, 2006
  12. Floorguy

Floorguy The Living Dead Charter Member Senior Member

Back in my days as the warranty/repair guy working for a retailer that dealt with new construction. The installers would powerstretch the warp and kick the weft, so they wouldn't get a callback for peaked seams.

I restretched many many of them. I thanked those installers for giving me "job security"

13. rusty baker

rusty baker Well-Known Member

Ther are some backings, like sofbac, that I don't think you will ever get 1% stretch.

14. J Jeff Johnson

J Jeff Johnson seriously disturbed toon Charter Member

All the softbac I've ever seen stretches like crazy! I'll let you know today.....working with 200 sq yds. Now some berbers can be difficult to attain a 1% stretch.........but it's stretch to it's limit though, which is tight enough. :)

I figure a good stretch is 1/8th of an inch per 1 ft. of carpet lenght. Sound about right ? :coffee:

15. FloorCraft

FloorCraft Just another floor guy Charter Member

It was my understanding that the four way stretch did not mean to "power" stretch in all four directions. Rather, it meant to make sure you were firmly kicking up your set wall and power stretching away. I was even informed that the ideal way was to leave all walls 2 or 3 inches long and not trim or tuck anything until the stretching was done, completely, in the room.