Carpet advice needed

Discussion in 'Help Selecting the Best Floor Covering' started by calliered, May 17, 2018.

1. calliered

calliered New Member

My husband and I are trying to decide what kind of carpet to install in our home. It will be spendy whichever way we decide to go. We are getting conflicting information from 3 different bids/carpet sellers and need unbiased opinions to help. The web doesn't seems to be any help as far as reviews. I want the down and dirty real answers:
    1. We may be in our home another 7 years plus or minus. Currently we have 9 year old builder's grade carpet that's worn out its welcome. Our home will need 190 sq feet of carpet.
    2. We have a 7 year old (& 7 year old friends), a German Shepherd, 2 cats, large family functions 2-3 times a year.
    3. One carpet seller says we "don't want nylon. Nylon is what you buy when the kids are out of the home...". Of course he'll sell us whatever we ask, he says. Another is saying we want nylon due to the traffic we'll have in the house, as nylon won't show the wear patterns as easy as polyester (I already have a rapport with this guy, so am apt to believe him.)
    4. "All the money is in the pad," one person says. Another says that her padding is all the same price. All my bids have included 8lb pad. One of which is memory foam with a moisture barrier. Does it matter which I buy?
    5. "I sell more of this Deamweaver Masquerade..." I finally asked him on the phone if he gets a set of steak knives to sell it, due to his enthusiasm level to sell it, which makes us suspicious. It feels like it's nice carpet; however, but it's polyester - how is it going to hold up? Lord help me to find a review on it.
    6. What should be the minimum i should buy? 55 ounces? 65 ounces? We will go with a traditional pile carpet, not berber or low pile.
    Any input is appreciated.
    Callie.

2. Daris Mulkin

Daris Mulkin The One and Only Charter Member I Support TFP Senior Member

Go with the nylon and 8lb pad whichever you decide on. You won't be sorry. Most polys will be at the end of their cycle and be matted down. Remember I said most. Poly as far as i'm concerned only works in a bedroom. If there are stairs definitely rule it out.

:old:

Daris

3. calliered

calliered New Member

Thank you for your comments Daris! We plan on doing the stairs in Caress Modern Amenities by Shaw. Perhaps we'll stick to that brand but definitely go nylon.

4. Mark Brown

Mark Brown On The Surface Flooring I Support TFP

I would 100% go with a nylon. I don't believe in poly either. Pad is an important choice to be certain, if you are looking for top quality... take a look at healthier choice pad, it is fantastic!

....beware the shaw knockoff

5. SteveG

SteveG Pro Member

If you're going with Caress (Anso Nylon is a great product!) take a look at the Shaw St. Jude's line of pad. I like Charity. It's good quality pad, it extends the warranty on your Shaw carpet, and they give a few pennies to St Jude's Children's Hospital when you buy it.

The sales people pushing you toward poly are probably getting a kickback or just high margins for selling that product. Polyester has its place, but your situation sounds like Nylon or Smartstrand is the way to go.

6. Graeme

Graeme Pro Member

I agree with the comments above. Generally speaking, nylon is a more robust fiber than poly. It tends to hold up to traffic well, and doesn't seem to show wear patterns as quickly.

With underlay, denser is better than thicker. A dense pad will not compress as much, meaning less movement of the carpet when walked on. Movement causes wear. A poor quality underlay can cause a good carpet to lose its stretch over time, resulting in wrinkles which will need to be repaired.

Finally, I would strongly recommend that you make sure the carpet is power stretched by your installer. Not every professional does, but it is an important part of a quality, long-lasting installation. All the best with your new carpet!