Can't always get what you want....

Discussion in 'Tools, Equipment and Supplies' started by Mark Brown, Nov 7, 2017.

1. Mark Brown

Mark Brown On The Surface Flooring I Support TFP

So we have all been there, can't get the tool you want or need.... have to make do. Here is today's hilarious adventure in make your own solution.

Diy dustram lol

diy-dustram.jpg

Last edited: Nov 7, 2017
    • Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  2. Incognito

Incognito No more Mr. Nice Guy! I Support TFP Senior Member

You must be related to my boss.

3. epoxyman

epoxyman Pro Member

If it keeps the dust down I’m all for it
    I’ve rigged up a few things to keep the job moving forward

Ron

4. Mike Antonetti

Mike Antonetti I Support TFP Senior Member

That’s absolutely the way to get it started. I can’t see what’s on the other end of the flexblade, which chipping hammer or wheeled scraper is it?

5. Mark Brown

oh no my good man. That's my junky eddy VCT stripper with a 4 inch razor blade on it. Definitely not ideal for mortar removal but a lot cheaper than any other option when there is 24 sqft to do :)

• Like Like x 1
  6. Mike Antonetti

I looked at them last week at a Home Depot rental. I could use one for sheet vinyl and maybe crack suppression sheet membrane with the self dicing wings. They weren’t selling much rental equip at the time

7. Mark Brown

they work really well for what they are for.... not so well for what I use it for :)

8. Mike Antonetti

From what I see they used cheap thinset and didn’t bond it properly to the tile or slab. Kudos to them.

9. Dan Schultz

Dan Schultz Certified Wood Floor Inspector Charter Member

In manufacturing, you wouldn't believe what we had to come up with.

Equipment manufacturers are, first off, extremely high in their offerings. They also don't have off-the-shelf items that fit every plant flow.

We had to build our own conveyor belts, chains, and the like to transfer material between machines and processes.

We ran flooring up-side down, to keep tolerances better. Our maintenance guy even built an apparatus to flip flooring boards over after they exited the side matcher. The boards had to land on a chain that moved them sideways to the chop saw operators, and there fore could not land on their face or they would become damaged (dented on the edge).

He was awesome. I called everything he built Troy-built, due to his first name.

• Like Like x 1