Can you get this done before the holiday?

Discussion in 'Flooring Potpourri' started by Jim McClain, Nov 17, 2018.

1. Jim McClain

Jim McClain Owner/Founder Administrator

How many times was I asked this question during my 35 years installing? I never kept track, but I prob'ly wouldn't be far off if I guessed "a minimum of 140 times." And that number is low because I live in a small rural community. I imagine many of you have been asked to do this hundreds of times every Thanksgiving and Christmas.

The one I was most proud to accomplish was when the local high school's roof collapsed under heavy snow. Of course, it wasn't a get-it-done-before-the-holiday, it had to be done DURING the Christmas-New Year holiday break. And because my part was just floors, which were one of the last phases to be done, every delay from the other trades impacted my ability to get the job done. I did though; right on schedule.

It was hard to turn down holiday work, but I did many times. My regular customers, builders and remodelers, I did my best to accommodate. If there was a builder whose work I didn't usually do, but wanted to, I'd say yes to them, but too often they just went back to using the low price leader.

Let's hear your holiday work stories. C'mon, you got time. It's been 14 hours or so since anyone's posted and I know you're lurking. ;)

2. Tom Potter

Tom Potter I Support TFP

Yeah, I hear that. I have a few school districts in my area I do work for. There's always a project that needs to be done on holiay breaks/spring break. I try to schedule myself Christmas week off to relax & spend with my family but it never really pans out. As of right now I told sales to not schedule anything for that week but I have a feeling something will come up for it & I really hate to tell someone that's been a very good/faithful customer for many years no.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Chris 45

Chris 45 Director of P.R. on some deserted island. I Support TFP

I had a 300 yard cash job I said yes to one thanksgiving. Hard to say no to cash. My van broke down the day before. I rented a uhaul so I could get the job done. They were so impressed that I didn’t bail on the job that I got a $200 tip on top of the rest of the job. That was the first time I ever heard the song Alice’s Restaurant. I make it a point to listen to it every thanksgiving now.

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  4. Daris Mulkin

Daris Mulkin The One and Only Charter Member I Support TFP Senior Member

I've moved many of Christmas trees on the 24th of Dec. Always hated the holidays because everyone wants new carpet so it can get trashed on the holiday or the New Years eve party. Famous saying was "how do I get red wine out of my new carpet?" My answer always was white wine, which is true, but then you have to clean the sugar out.

:old:

Daris

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  5. Elmer Fudd

Elmer Fudd Administwative Asst. Charter Member I Support TFP Senior Member

The year was 1972. young 25 year old kid, i had just left the Union and moved to a small town in PA. Took a job with a furniture company as their carpet layer and drapery hanger. Two days before Christmas I went to install carpet and hang drapes in the home of the local TV Shoppe owner, his wife had gone to visit family in another state and his surprise was to remodel the LR. I worked till 9 PM to finish up on the 23rd, as agreed, he said Thank You!
    About 11 AM on the 24th my wife called and asked if i bought a TV. Nope, not me!! Well she said "Arnold's just delivered a new console TV/entertainment center!" I got home and there it sat, a $1200 TV/Stereo/8 trak system. I called the owner and he said "your bonus!!" Best tip I ever got.

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
  6. kylenelson

kylenelson You'll find me on the floor I Support TFP Senior Member

Here, because it’s a summer vacation spot, it’ always 4th of July, which is always our busiest time of year anyway. Also, our local indian tribe usually has work they need done over Christmas break

7. Mike Antonetti

Mike Antonetti I Support TFP Senior Member

Commercial and Industrial operations coordinates shutdowns for the holidays and schedules maintenance repair. Normally residential slows to a lull.

Started small demo for a school moisture issue, repair by installers start Monday while kids are off. I said I’d work thanksgiving kinda tired of turkey. Demoing tile in an empty house this week.

I could be available 24/7/365 if price is right.

Attached Files:

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Red

Red Canadian Redneck Charter Member

When I was in retail selling and only installing on the side I had people come into the store on Dec24 wanting to have their kitchen tiled before Christmas day. I $hit you not.o_O:eek:

• Funny Funny x 2
  9. Jim McClain

Jim McClain Owner/Founder Administrator

I believe it only because it happened to me... well, never on the 24th, but often enough on the 23rd.