Can I pour Self Leveling compound over dried Vinyl glue?

Discussion in 'Floor Preparation' started by Zorro, Jun 23, 2014.

1. Zorro

Zorro Active Member

Hi,

I am going to rip out the 55 years old linoleum vinyl sheet in the basement rooms. I think there will be challenge to remove the dried glue left on the concrete slab. I think, I will try to scrape it out as much as I can and I will use self leveling compound over it. Is that OK with this method? and will it kill the mold.? The previous owner told me the water tank busted once and maybe still damp and mold under the sheet. I didn't pull the vinyl sheet up yet.

My second option is to rent a concrete floor grinding machine and grind the glue off. I don't know if it will be dusty?

I need to prepare the flat concrete floor to lay engineered wood floor on top. Thanks.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2014
  2. Could be moldy regardless of water tank busting due to moisture coming up thru slab , self leveling will deteriorate in moisture conditions, though I believe ther is a new one out designed for moisture, haven't researched it yet.
    I believe if you scrape up as much as possible with a 4" razor scraper, then you can prime and level.
    Self level is not the cure all, why do you feel the use?

3. Zorro

Zorro Active Member

Oh, I want to lay engineered wood floor in the basement.

4. The adhesives may not be compatible , depending on type, removal of most of it would be best.
    It is not flat?
    I wouldn't recommend putting hardwood in a basement, do some moisture testing of concrete.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2014
  5. Trimmer

Trimmer Charter Member

There are slc that are mousture tolerant and designed for use under liquid damp proof membranes. Don't know if you can get them in the USA though.
    As above, remove as much glue as possible. If it's water soluble you may be lucky and find that's it's a soft sticky mess when you lift he sheet.

6. Trimmer

Trimmer Charter Member

Ardex make a slc called NA. It comes as a bag and a bottle of latex type liquid. This is moisture tolerant and is often used to create a dpm sandwich (slc, dpm, slc). It flows really well but has a low compressive strength so be careful where you use it (if you can get hold of it).
    Mapei make a slc called trade plan which is also moisture tolerant but has a much higher final strength.

7. The answer to the question is no. You cannot pour self leveling over adhesive residue. Self leveling requires a bond to the substrate to work properly. You need to remove the adhesive residue and if you have no other conditions that need fixed, such as moisture problems, then you can primer and self-level.

You stated you're wanting to install a wood floor in the basement. There are some things you should be aware of. Many wood floors are not warranted if installed below grade. It's important you consult with the manufacturer's tech department to make sure they understand the complexity of your install and that the product can be installed in your application. They will also be able to provide you the install instructions specific to your installation.

Second, depending on the age of the slab and how the slab is constructed you may have to perform some additional work to protect the floor from moisture coming through the slab. This could involve shot blasting or grinding the floor, applying an epoxy sealer and then performing your self-leveling.

I wish you well and hope the project turns out great!

P.S. Trimmer, that product (Ardex NA) isn't available here in the U.S. that I'm ware of. Of course it's possible they call it something else here as they sometimes do. Not sure about Canada, but to the best of my knowledge the US Ardex plants supply all of North America, so probably not there as well.

As you fellas say Cheers Mate!

Last edited: Jun 25, 2014
  8. You can scrape adhesive to a residue, apply Mapei Eco Primgrip, let dry and apply self leveler over top of Primgrip
    As stated very nicely by Commercial Floor Rep , other issues must be addressed prior to installing a hardwood "below grade" or any other material in a basement.

9. Zorro

Zorro Active Member

Guy! Thanks so much. I am now ready to proceed.