California Fires

Discussion in 'Taking a Break From Flooring' started by Jon Scanlan, Oct 9, 2017.

1. Jon Scanlan

Jon Scanlan That Kiwi Charter Member I Support TFP Senior Member

Are these fires any where near you Jim?
    They have just been on our TV news

2. Jim McClain

Jim McClain Owner/Founder Administrator

No Jon, they are south west of me. I know all the news says "Northern California," but if you look at a map, you will see they are mostly the central coastal area - better known as the Bay Area or the Napa region/wine country.

I cringe every time I see someone from SF, Santa Cruz, Santa Rosa, etc. say they live in northern California. NO YOU DO NOT! I live in northern California, which to me is anything above latitude 39°N - and those counties that are partly above and partly below are still regarded as N. CA counties. Anything below that line is NOT Northern CA and I wish they would all stop pretending it is. </rant>

california-latitudes.jpg

3. Mike Antonetti

Mike Antonetti I Support TFP Senior Member

Crazy news everywhere. News always makes it seem like the whole state is affected.

4. Floor Boss

Floor Boss Flooring Professional and Mgr. I Support TFP

Jim is mostly correct. I live in the Bay Area and in terms of North/South, we have very little in common with Southern California and are technically on the Northern half of the state. We have the Water! Jim has more water!
    I have several of my former Hockey kids living/schooling up near those fires and a few of them are evacuated.
    I have not heard, but the Snoopy Ice Rink, built by George Schultz, in Santa Rosa may be in harms way.
    Yesterday morning, I could smell smoke all day and I'm 80 miles away!
    David

5. Mike Sliwinski

Mike Sliwinski The Doctor Is In I Support TFP Senior Member

What is going on ?..... Mother Nature is going through menopause.
    Is fire insurance expensive like flood insurance ? I hope most homeowners
    have it. Very sad !

Jim, What county do you live in

6. Jim McClain

Yeah, I think the water you have is our water - comes from our snow/watershed.

Plumas County - I live in the county seat, Quincy. Feather River Country.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Dan Schultz

Dan Schultz Certified Wood Floor Inspector Charter Member

Jim, you're closer to Yuba City / Marysville than I thought. I visited my son and his family a few years back when he was stationed at Beale.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Jim McClain

Next time you're there, gimme a call. You'd be close enough for me to drive, even for just long enough to share a couple cups of coffee. I'd enjoy that.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Darren Ramey

Darren Ramey Charter Member

I grew up in Southern California and we considered anything north of about Santa Barbara Northern California :)

• Funny Funny x 1