Buying a Zero Turn Mower

Discussion in 'Taking a Break From Flooring' started by Mike Antonetti, Aug 13, 2019.

1. Mike Antonetti

Mike Antonetti Senior Member

Anyone get deep into the engineering of a zero turn mower brand and was there a clear Winner?

My Dixon mower I’ve extracted all it’s worth. They’re out of business now(Husqvarna bought and shut it down)
    Dixie Chopper also shut down. What I see the pros use is Gravely, Hustler Z’s, some Toro, John Deere, Exmark.

May have 5 acres to tend to in the near future.

One like this is 130$ a day, selling it 5k$ 400hrs.

Attached Files:

2. Dan Schultz

Dan Schultz Certified Wood Floor Inspector Charter Member

Fifteen years ago I bought a 61" 27 hp Scag. 1160 pounds. Built heller tough.

I'm mowing five acres and it used to take me ALL day long on a 42" rider. I can now mow it in an hour and a half.

3. Mike Antonetti

Wow, I’m liking that time. Very good to know.

4. Daris Mulkin

Daris Mulkin The One and Only Charter Member I Support TFP Senior Member

Get you some sheep, they will keep it mowed for you plus you can have meat da boot.

:old:

Daris

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  5. epoxyman

epoxyman Pro Member

Got a Kobota 3130 4x4 big tractor and a 7 foot bush hog also have a 54” garden tractor
    They both have there good points and bad. I mow 8 to ten acres per week
    Takes about 4-5 hours

• Informative Informative x 1
  6. Mike Antonetti

Had wife’s friend come out and look at, usual 75$ per acre said he’d do it for 50 an acre being 1/2 of it is about a Ft high.

My one brother said get a goat, I don’t think I want any animals.

7. kylenelson

kylenelson You'll find me on the floor I Support TFP Senior Member

Seeing most lawn companies use Walker or Toro mowers.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. Mike Antonetti

Years ago Skag was around, still see em today. Grasshopper was kinda a Cadillac. I think the local seller now carries Gravely, I just don’t like the name. The exmark worked well, maybe better if the blades were sharp, had to cut long grass easily twice. Certainly felt strong drivewise.

Returned the rental last week and just got done mowing 1/2acre lot off into the sunset, the Dixon has lights although lights went out as a company. 95 degrees night mowing may be my new thing. Or air conditioned cab and windshield wipers may be needed as well.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  9. Chris 45

Chris 45 Director of P.R. on some deserted island. I Support TFP

I would pimp out that purple goblin mower.

• Funny Funny x 1