Buying a Vehicle

Discussion in 'Tools, Equipment and Supplies' started by Mike Antonetti, Nov 13, 2017.

1. Mike Antonetti

Mike Antonetti I Support TFP Senior Member

Decisions,Choices,Brands, been wondering for about a year what to get. Still unsure, thought I had narrowed it down to a Denali crew cab, used, then thought new, but 60-70 grand and 1k$ a month I’m back to liking my existing truck. I could dump all sorts of money to get it back to top condition. It’s a bit outdated though, the new bells and whistles are so tempting, A/C seats, touch screen like an iPad backup camera, could even be something else. Even our passenger vehicle I’m not happy with, it’s leaking oil already. I’m thinking Lexus ES 350. Not sure if I can buy personal owned vehicle that the dealers give a low trade in value, get prequalified at my credit union and write a check.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  2. Jonathan Garcia

Jonathan Garcia Pro Member

Hey mike, is this truck for work? I've also been looking for a new truck for work, we use a 14' box truck currently. We were really close to getting one this year, a 16' box truck with a granny's attic and a side roll up door. but they made to many mistakes. First the quote they gave me, which we accepted, the sales person "forgot" to remove a 2k deposit from a previous quote, which i was ok with, still had 0% APR. The 2nd mistake was that once the box was ready, which took about 6 weeks to deliver to the shop so they can put it in the back of the truck, she calls and tells me she couldn't give me the 0%APR anymore because we weren't in the month of the special, even though i gave them a deposit and everything at the beginning. Which is when i decided to walk out of the deal. now I'm just waiting patiently.

3. Mike Antonetti

Mike Antonetti I Support TFP Senior Member

Good for you for walking away! Yes, work Truck, no diesel, I don’t like the smell. I like Cummins sound and it lasts forever but I may only want a 5 year vehicle, then trade it in, so not sure what the cost of use will be. My new van in 2000 I used for 12? Years @ 28k.

I currently get @ 10 mpg, I think the box trucks get about the same. There are volume fleet truck dealers in all areas across the country and 2017 leftovers are offering incentives.

I’d like to snag something 5k under appraised value to get ahead of the game. Box trucks are not nimble, they make good billboards, also, Ryder trucks sell them off and Iron Planet auctions various trucks frequently. Some reason crew cab gmc 2500 are a bit beat up and still go for a price gamble should anything go wrong.

Then there’s all the flooding that could’ve affected some vehicles.

4. Chris 45

Chris 45 Director of P.R. on some deserted island. I Support TFP

Diesel adds 5 to 10 grand to the price right off the top but if you chip it, you could be getting 18 mpg while pulling your trailer. How many miles do you put on your truck a year? Then there is the added maintenance costs with diesel. Ain’t nothing cheap when repairing a diesel these days.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. kwfloors

kwfloors Fuzz on the brain Charter Member I Support TFP Senior Member

I had my last truck close to 20 years and I don't see getting anything newer than the one I have now. I haven't had a vehicle payment in 38 years and won't have one again.

• Like Like x 3
  6. Mark Brown

Mark Brown On The Surface Flooring I Support TFP

I haven't had a vehicle payment in my entire life and so help me i will die that way. Good on ya KW

• Like Like x 1
  7. Chris 45

Chris 45 Director of P.R. on some deserted island. I Support TFP

I had a van payment... Once. The wife n I are trying to get our house payment to zero as well. It’s amazing the amount of freedom one has when you have little to zero debt.

• Like Like x 2