Buying a cleat nailer

Discussion in 'Tools, Equipment and Supplies' started by Don Monfils, Jun 24, 2019.

1. Don Monfils

Don Monfils PRO CARPET Charter Member

A little while back I mentioned a bamboo installation I looked at.
    Well I got the job , and now I need a cleat nailer. I have read some treads talking about Primatech. I’m thinking about ordering the Primatech 18 gauge 550 ALR.
    If I get this gun do you recommend using the Primatech cleats ,versus something I could buy in Home Depot or Lowe’s.

I have only used staplers for doing the hardwood floors. Could this nailer be used for 3/4” solid flooring, or is it only meant for thinner solids and engineered?
    I have 2 Bostitch M3 staplers and I know they make a cleat nailer , but the Primatech looks like it’s in a whole different league.

Please share your thoughts... I have to order one soon.

2. Mike Antonetti

Mike Antonetti I Support TFP Senior Member

Call Primatech if you enjoy the finer things in life. You might throw that other crap in the trash.

3. kylenelson

kylenelson You'll find me on the floor I Support TFP Senior Member

They say 18 ga cleats now for Engineered over osb. Staples are still fine over plywood

4. Chris Mha

Chris Mha Charter Member Senior Member

I have the Primatech Q550 18ga cleat nailer. I use Powernail cleats because the supplier is more conveniently located. I have had this nailer for 5 or 6 years and have yet to have a jam. Home depot and Lowes around here only carry 16ga cleats.

5. Jonathan Garcia

Jonathan Garcia Pro Member

have you used it for 3/4 inch solid? would it be recommended?

6. Chris Mha

Chris Mha Charter Member Senior Member

Yes I have used it on 3/4" solid with the same results. It's a very versatile nailer. If you're getting one, do yourself a favor and have it fitted with the roller base.

7. Don Monfils

70B72B33-98A2-4D90-B6C2-3A13EE95B963.jpeg

Primatech 550ACR 18 Ga Pneumatic Nailer/Stapler Combo

I see they have they have the 550ACR is a nailer- stapler combo. It is $100 more,
    but I do I fair bit of engineered that I usually use my Porta nail 18 gauge stapler. It would be nice to be able to stand up and fasten the floor.

Does anyone have any experience with that gun?

8. Don Monfils

I got the gun yesterday.
    I bought it directly from Primatech ,
    I saved over $100 , and also I got the upgraded extended aluminum head mallet for an extra $16.
    They seem to have great customer service, they answered many questions.
    I can not wait to try it.
    The roller base seems awesome!
    In 2 weeks I have a 2400 sq. ft. Engineered job ( new construction) that I will use the 18 gauge staples on.
    Then the bamboo at the end of the month which I will try cleats , for the first time

C2C769C6-20A3-4659-8CFB-9856CEF0B183.jpeg 1004D5B4-F2CB-4C08-A13D-9B81BE00416C.jpeg

• Like Like x 2
  9. Mike Antonetti

Mike Antonetti I Support TFP Senior Member

Nice Decision, does it not get you more motivated to work?

10. Don Monfils

I just finished a 2 1/4” wide hardwood install today.
    I do feel more motivated...
    But not enough so , to work tomorrow :confused:
    I was just reading the manual, I will figure out how to set the base for different thicknesses tomorrow.

• Like Like x 1