Brutal Little Job

Discussion in 'Commercial Flooring Sales & Installation' started by Incognito, Jan 1, 2018.

1. Incognito

Incognito No more Mr. Nice Guy! I Support TFP Senior Member

Less than 2 cartons of VCT in a janitors closet that had a leaking hot water heater a few months prior. Gruesome 6.5 hours of my life.

IMG_2673.JPG IMG_2676.JPG IMG_2674.JPG IMG_2677.JPG IMG_2678.JPG IMG_2679.JPG IMG_2683.JPG IMG_2697.JPG IMG_2700.JPG IMG_2702.JPG

2. Jim McClain

Jim McClain Owner/Founder Administrator

:good: Wonder why they would want VCT in an area so prone to water damage?

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Steve Olson

Steve Olson Hardwood/Laminate Guru Charter Member Senior Member

Wow, don't they have U/L in So Cal, lol?

4. Incognito

Yeah, I'm not privvy to those decisions/negotiations. I get a text message with an address and barely anything more than a material list as far as a work order/installation instructions.

But here's my guess knowing SOME aspects of how these work orders originate. This was flagged by a routine Health Code insection. It's a food service building. So the district called it in as a Time and Material repair sending the shop/estimator/sales folk a few Emails with photos.

They just need a safe, clean, smooth floor. The custodian LOADS that rooms so full, including a pallet jack and 40 gallon trash barrels full of sports equipment in addition to the janitoral supplies and equipment.

Bottom line-----no one ever sees this floor. The door is locked 24/7 and only the custodian has keys. So in reality this is HIS room.

5. Incognito

That's a curious thing to me too Steve but it's common in these "portable" classrooms/buildings our school districts invest in by the zillions of square feet.

I was going to phone the District Honcho and advise a 1/4" or better underlayment ply but that subfloor was so..............beyond repair from my experience screws, nails or staples won't really hold the new ply down. Floating and skimming Ardex FF is pretty stupid and sleazy too but..................as mentioned in another thread not every customer wants or needs or will pay for first class work. I have no problem scabbing in little temporary fixes like this when I'm secure that my contacts at the school district are hiring my company for this exact kind of service. They just need to get some crap DONE for minimal costs and efforts. I assure you they SPEND well on the Koster/Prep/Mondo jobs as well as the standard Furniture/Demo/Prep and install classroom projects.

I assure you EVERYONE associated above my pay grade would only be annoyed if I made a stink about manufacturer's warranty and industry standards over this nasty little closet.

Pick Your Battles, right?

• Like Like x 1
  6. Steve Olson

Steve Olson Hardwood/Laminate Guru Charter Member Senior Member

Don't I know it, lol. I'm in the middle of a rehab of the medical clinic up in Groveland, near Yosemite. Working with Tekno Medscapes for the first time. Usually 3 of us, a laborer and another installer, but after the last job, they wouldn't work with me again. The other installer told the shop manager, that "He's an grouchy old frigging robot that never stops to take a break" Not entirely true, lol. Lazy people just aggravate me. My wife got me this for Xmas, lol. 20171225_183124.jpg

• Funny Funny x 2
  7. Incognito

I've been told the same thing by the shop foreman here........."No one wants to work with you."

Generally, he's talking about the morons who I would fire in a heartbeat IF they could be replaced easily. Problem here is I "fire" someone and that means I do a 2-man job alone or they send someone twice as bad as the guy dragging me down. I gave up dismissing the morons and I just deal with it until it's impossible not to complain. Only REALLY fired a couple guys in all my years. It's just not how we do it. You just stop scheduling them for work and they go away eventually.

8. Mike Antonetti

Mike Antonetti I Support TFP Senior Member

Sheet vinyl will hide some leaks. Here’s some mold I finally found to confirm my beliefs of it growing under Ceramic Floor tile I’m assuming was a commode leak, maybe shower. But after I saw it of course that will happen after demoing shower walls. It’s just that after a flooding incident cleanup the concept is it’s not damaged.

I’d say I work well with others if they bust their ass. I got no patience for someone holding back.

9. kwfloors

kwfloors Fuzz on the brain Charter Member I Support TFP Senior Member

An epoxy would outlast the room....

10. Mike Antonetti

Mike Antonetti I Support TFP Senior Member

Forgot to post pic. Time expired to edit my previous post.

Attached Files: