Bringing epoxied concrete slab back to concrete

Discussion in 'Floor Preparation' started by George_M, Nov 15, 2017.

1. George_M

George_M Pro Member

I have a commercial project where I have to call for the GC to remove an epoxy floor coating and then patch the surface back to smooth. This is a warehouse, no other performance spec has been given. My initial course of action would be to shotblast and then skim coat with a portland cement base patching compound (Mapei Mapecem Quickpatch or Ardex CP/Feather Finish/TRM).

Does this sound like a proper approach?

2. epoxyman

epoxyman Pro Member

It depends on what kinda of epoxy you are removing some will shotblast and others will just grind up and if it’s a trowel down floor then it’s a ride on floor scraper with a floor grinder to finish that up. To remove it I would use a PCD blades then back over it with like a 25/45 blade

Ron

• Like Like x 1
  3. George_M

George_M Pro Member

Thanks Ron, unfortunately I'm not going to get to visit the site. And I'm not sure anyone will be able to tell me the type of epoxy. From the crappy pictures I have it appears to be liquid applied rather than a trowel down.

I'll leave me note a little open ended then... "Existing epoxy floor is to be scraped, shotblast, machine ground or any combination thereof as required to remove the existing epoxy flooring. The prepared floor finish shall have a concrete surface profile(CSP) between CSP #1-#3."

I will modify the CSP note to match up with what the MFR. requires for whatever patching compound i spec.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Mike Antonetti

Mike Antonetti I Support TFP Senior Member

The patching material should be suitable for a “wear surface” and will be stated as such in specs.

• Like Like x 1
  5. George_M

George_M Pro Member

good point Mike, I was planning to spec something that is suitable for a wear surface. But I should list that plainly as well.

6. Mike Antonetti

I think Ron’s approach is spot on. The CSP #’s are high, you want smooth, doing minimal damage possible and the smoothing grit of 45 is still a bit scratchy. Forklift traffic may need a CSP for patching areas but gouges are usually rough. A ride on may gouge floor as well depending on the bond, equipment and experience level of the operator.

So lease is up and they need to return building to pre conditions?

• Like Like x 1
  7. George_M

George_M Pro Member

Correct, generally this is only done when the items to be returned to original conditions are of no value to the landlord, or are high specific.

In this case it is a prefab cleanroom for medical testing company, and all the associated MEP systems for it.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Mike Antonetti

I’d be a little concerned about the patch color. I believe Mapei addresses these concerns in some of their products. There’s a lot of shades of grey, my wife told me there were 50!

• Funny Funny x 2
  9. kwfloors

kwfloors Fuzz on the brain Charter Member I Support TFP Senior Member

Uzin has some good coating materials also. I have used a grinder/prep outfit for that demo for some of my jobs. They use a floor machine with carbide bits sometimes and it chips right up. Other times they need something more aggressive to get it off. Its a trial and error type of work figuring out what works.

10. George_M

George_M Pro Member

To close this out recommendation from Mapei technical was Mapecem 102 screed mortar, with min. 3/8" surface removed and a CSP>5.

The depth is needed to support the weight of warehouse rolling loads (forklift, etc...)

11. Mike Antonetti

Sorry I disagree. I could be missing something, there is the unknown factor. My route would be removal to smooth through grind/polish methods.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. PHX12

PHX12 New Member

the easiest and fastest way to remove any glue or mortar from a concrete floor would be to use a floor grinding tool [removed by admin]

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 29, 2017
  13. Jim McClain

Jim McClain Owner/Founder Administrator

Glad to have you here PHX12, but you don't get to advertise for free. Read the rules here.

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  14. Mike Antonetti

Jim, @Jim McClain
    Can you email me the info he sent about grinders etc. I’ll kick you a donation, win win!? Bout to post a question about removal. I need faster speed.

15. Jim McClain

Jim McClain Owner/Founder Administrator

He spammed the site with his business name and a YouTube video - twice. I would never do what you just asked and I would never take a bribe to do it. Google his name; guys like that don't pick one site to try to get away with crap like that. But let me assure you, people like that - who have to resort to spamming forums - don't deserve your business. Those kinds of marketing efforts are a good indication of their business ethics.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. Mike Antonetti

One company comes to mind. Way back when I was looking for a pb-1250 maybe 7-8 years ago. The price was pretty much set and they had they’re own label. I had to verify a few times but just didn’t trust them. They flood Craigslist till this day, use to pretend to sell concrete grinding equipment as individuals.