Bridge over hollow foyer tile

Discussion in 'Floorcovering Installation & Maintenance Tips' started by Mike Antonetti, Mar 26, 2016.

1. Mike Antonetti

Mike Antonetti I Support TFP Senior Member

Didn't want to chance cracking tile with ride on scraper. Tile was not bonded well, weight pressing down from ride on scraper would most likely crack tile. I had rubber matting and some laminate boards but decided to go air bound.

Removal was hardwood water damaged by running bowl.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  2. kylenelson

kylenelson You'll find me on the floor Senior Member

This is the kind of stuff that makes one pro better than the other.

3. Mike Antonetti

I really just didn't feel like replacing a tile, if they even had any, or a free foyer install of their picking.

I don't like replacing glass slider doors, or basically anything. The ride ons are like a bull in a china shop, I like to get the floor up and get machine out before something breaks.

Attached Files:

4. kylenelson

kylenelson You'll find me on the floor Senior Member

I'm amazed you can do that tear out without removing base. It's the first thing we do on any hard surface install

5. Mike Antonetti

My brother wanted to, when wood was delivered he told shop, they said they would pay for off and on. I guess we took it as we went. I would rip up to about two pieces from wall, go to another area, remove debris and then finesse it up. I'm Leary about water lines being close. Also the length pieces are tricky depending on angle, I almost put one thru glass slider. I try to caffeine up so I'm keen on everything, a bad night sleep and things can go wrong.

Customer cancelled thin wood/color didn't match sample. New hardwood was same height as old.

The Innovatech scraper can be real precise, variable speed hydraulic pump by foot pedal and hand control. As with all equipment variable speed is priority. I hear the national 5700 scraper is not as precise for speed control.

We followed up by a light grinding, here's a pic just prior to installing the next day. 540 ft @ 2$ removal, 1.75 to lay, both took about 8 hrs.

Attached Files:

6. Jim McClain

Jim McClain Owner/Founder Administrator

And the draperies. I never gambled when it came to doing jobs that created dust and debris.