Boycott Home Depot

Discussion in 'Other Home Decorating & Remodeling Projects' started by Jim McClain, Jun 2, 2013.

1. Jim McClain

Jim McClain Owner/Founder Administrator

I went to Reno, NV today to pick up some materials for a shelf unit I am building. I use my Segway to shop big stores like that because of my lungs, which means sometimes I have to make more than one trip to the checkstand and out to my car and back for more.

The shelf unit is part of my kitchen, so I wanted the trim to be the same finished oak all my cabinets are and the cabinets came from Home Depot. I also needed that white melamine for the shelf box and shelves.

I got the oak trims and made my first trip to the checkout stand. For years, both Lowe's and Home Depot have offered a military discount of 10%. So, I offer my VA ID card, as usual, and got the discount and checked out. I loaded the trims into my minivan and went back to the store for the big stuff.

I loaded a cart up, this time, with the melamine boards. I showed my VA ID and the lady said she couldn't give me a discount because my card didn't say I had a service connected disability. I was surprised at this and explained that I just got some other stuff earlier and got the discount. She went to another check stand, grabbed a paper laminated in plastic and pointed to a diagram that shows the "Service Connected Disability" on a VA ID card.

She wouldn't budge. I said this was the first I've heard of this and have been getting the military discount at that store and others for many years now. But now I am leaving the store and will no longer shop a store that discriminates against veterans, unless they happen to have a service connected disability.

If you are a veteran who served your country in time of war or peace, you don't get a military discount at Home Depot. If you got wounded in action, were taken prisoner or suffered any other physical or mental pain while serving your country, but were not disabled by it, you don't get the military discount anymore that Home Depot has been giving for many years. To get a discount, you have to be in that very small percentage of veterans that have a service connected disability.

I hope that anyone reading this, military veteran or not, will stand with me and boycott Home Depot for their unfair treatment of military veterans. If they offer a military discount to one group of veterans, they should offer the discount to all veterans. As far as I know, Lowe's does not discriminate. There are just as many Lowe's in the Reno/Sparks area as Home Depots, so I will be shopping exclusively with Lowe's, when I need hardware and lumber that I can't get at my local sources.

Thanks for your support,

Jim McClain

2. Mike Antonetti

Mike Antonetti I Support TFP Senior Member

I would call store manager, I just tried to call ours but he isn't there on Sundays and the assistant manager there is a puppet, Home Depot in my area cares about its Vets, they have their employee military service along with their picture years of service and branch. I worked there for about 3 years, as an employee we only got a 10% discount once a year.
    My stepdaughter bought my tile saw for 10% off, because she's active duty and had to go in to store.
    The only time I get discount is vets day, and I have to bring in dd214.
    I don't think your boycotts going to work unless you have 25% of the population behind you.
    I personally boycott Walmart except one time this year early in morning, man do they have good deals on my snacks.
    Lowes does not carry some products that Home Depot does but in general I only purchase through them when necessary, so I partially boycott many big companies.

3. Daris Mulkin

Daris Mulkin The One and Only Charter Member I Support TFP Senior Member

I find that it is all in the person who runs the store. Or the person at the check out. I bought a small fridge for my granddaughter who was in college at Hd. The first store refused my ID and wouldn't give me the discount as it was "supposedly" already on sale. So I told them to stick it and went to another HD which we only have 4 in my area. They gave me the discount with no questions asked.
    Lowes on the other hand won't take mine only on vets day or the 4th of July. They used to. I talked to a manager and he said its up to the store manager and the Id should be honored even if it is on sale- which is contractor pricing.

:old:

Daris

4. Incognito

Incognito No more Mr. Nice Guy! I Support TFP Senior Member

Uhhhhhhhh..........?

this isn't politics?

5. Mike Antonetti

Not government, I guess you can broaden the term, office politics, business politics if you stretch it.

I think the steam pressure hit the relief valve, the caliber of employees vary, just like in the flooring dept. same at the register. I see 5 or 6 new employees every month at the big boxes, how's that working for them? Not representing their image very well, saying it must be a bad job for that much turnover.

6. Jim McClain

No and I don't see the ambiguity here.

7. RFI

RFI Mr. Nefarious Senior Member

I have noticed the high employee turn over rate too and find it interesting :confused:

8. d. hutton

d. hutton Pro Member

You need to take this up the ladder as the clerk was incorrect.

I asked today at my local HD and they said the clerk was incorrect. The reason? if Lowes accepts it then we do also.

9. Mike Antonetti

Exactly if dad says no, mom says yes. They match their stuff all the time even the others coupons, it's get to know who's who there, I know bunches of them, they also transfer and I run into them 100 miles away.
    You could go to their flooring dept. and invite them on if they've been there a while, some just pass thru temporarily in the dept.

10. Mike Antonetti

Sometimes it's like going to a party and not knowing anyone. I'll leave the rest of the dirt in the rug.

11. Jim McClain

Interesting. I'm 80 miles away from a Home Depot, so I will have to wait until my next doctor's appointment in a couple of weeks to check into that. Thanks for the info.

Jim

12. Majwoody

Majwoody Pro Member

It's hit and miss out here. All I have is my expired military ID. Sometimes they take it, other times no.

13. Jon Scanlan

Jon Scanlan That Kiwi Charter Member I Support TFP Senior Member

We have a Super Gold card here which everybody gets over 65 giving discounts on all sorts of things including free public transport in off peak times
    So if anybody here can get that discount I think that for somebody who has served their country can not get a better deal than me really stinks

14. Daris Mulkin

Daris Mulkin The One and Only Charter Member I Support TFP Senior Member

I always joke with the gal at the register Like you didn't know I was that handsome did you? Yesterday it was she has the fastest gun in town, showed her my old dilapidated ID card and bingo she shot the code for military. Another gal just nodded her head last week and I got nothing.
    Nest time I think I'll ask the gal if she is Flo from Progressive and see what that brings.

:old:

Daris

15. Nate Hall

Nate Hall Types With Elbows Senior Member Published

Jim, thanks for another reason to hate the orange monster. I'll throw it on the pile of reasons I already have.

16. seamsealer

seamsealer Pro Member

I got to tell you about my good experience at HD. Ordered a window and was to come in on Memorial Day. They called and told me 5 days ahead of time that the truck won't be in on the holiday, only comes once a week and it would be today. I almost fell over with the customer service they gave me. They kept me in the loop, I'm happy.

If I was running late or over on a job, I couldn't get the store I was doing work for, to call and tell the next customer I would be late. When I would get there, they would be pissed at me. Poor customer service affects a lot of people.

17. Barry Carlton

Barry Carlton I Support TFP Senior Member Published

YEP!!!! Blatant.

The only thing ambiguous are the rules evidently. But we all knew that already.

18. Jim McClain

If it were blatant, Barry, I wouldn't have posted it. If I seemed confused about its political connotations, other staffers would have either moved it to the staff forum or just deleted it. You know staffers, including me, are supposed to follow the rules as well as enforce them.

I obviously don't see the political implications of what I feel is a big retailer's policy and their apparent discrimination against vets. And I sure don't see what government or politicians have to do with it.

Jim

19. Mike Sliwinski

Mike Sliwinski The Doctor Is In I Support TFP Senior Member

cut the rule maker some slack Jack !

Hey Barry,
    Yes, one could argue that point, but ! for me, I can't see it being any other way. It is as it is.

Rules have to be made and maintained by someone, this will exposes them to higher standards than the rest, would you agree with that statement ? .........and that's not a comfortable seat to sit in for any person.

I respect Jim for taking that seat, that leap of faith. It's probably not easy to evaluate the Rules from all the various topics, So ! no-one could ever get it right all of the time, for all of the people.

That being said, I do see the need for challenging a decision of the rules but not the need to challenge the Rule maker.
    The discussion itself can ?..........needs to! and will provide that information......... and for Me, Jim's words, over the years, have provided more than enough goodness, to ' Cut the Rule Maker Some Slack Jack ! :D

If I read to much into the reply Barry, I apologize for the mis-interpretation.

Mike

Last edited: Jun 3, 2013
  20. Mike Sliwinski

Mike Sliwinski The Doctor Is In I Support TFP Senior Member

That Sucks Jim !!.........especially when the expectation for getting the discount has been so conditioned over the years not to mention the 5 minute prior purchase being honored !! That's insane,:mad: You most certainly
    found Cruella Devil that Day :mad: :mad: and This Boycott Post is justifiable.

It's A peaceful way to respond to the frustration one feels by
    being rejected, after so many other times of acceptance.

Even though the political Buzz word ' Boycott ' is flirting
    with the Rules ;) .............I Like it !! and see it's importance to share with us.

My Credit Card will Visit Others for awhile

Mike