Bostitch powerslam hammer tacker

Discussion in 'Tools, Equipment and Supplies' started by CWEflooring, Nov 17, 2015.

1. CWEflooring

CWEflooring Pro Member

I was thinking of buying one of these as i like the fact you can use staples up to 12-13mm the underlays/pad im installing latley is alot thicker .
    Any of you guys have one ? Any good ? Also wondering what bostitch staplers are like in general the prices in uk seem steep was thinking of getting one of there nailers for plywood aswell .

BOSTITCH PC2K Power Slam Hammer Tacker on Amazon

Attached Files:

2. kylenelson

kylenelson You'll find me on the floor I Support TFP Senior Member

We generally don't install any pad over 13 millimeters (1/2''), will void warranty.

3. CWEflooring

CWEflooring Pro Member

Sorry i might of conffused people it takes staples from 6mm to 12mm didnt mean i was using pad thicker than that .just wondering what bostitch staplers are like in general they are made in the U.S.A thats all i know.

4. kwfloors

kwfloors Fuzz on the brain Charter Member I Support TFP Senior Member

5. Incognito

Incognito No more Mr. Nice Guy! I Support TFP Senior Member

I have a Bostich hammer stapler but it's not the one you show. I do nearly zero stretch and 95% of that is on concrete. I bought this when I got about 200 s/y of pattern carpet in an old mansion, 2nd floor that was being converted to a private school in South Pasadena.

Cost me $50

I can get them for $10-20 at the swap meets all day long but I needed it NOW.

6. CWEflooring

CWEflooring Pro Member

In the usa ive heard alot of you guys on here talk about swap meets what exactly is a swap meet ?

7. Incognito

Around here it's a combination of folks selling used and new items in open parking lots at places like community colleges on the weekend when the college is closed. For $10-20 you rent a space and sell your belongings to whoever passes by. Some sellers have very nice antiques. Some have rusty old garbage. There's people selling carpet, real estate, blinds.......hell I saw a lawyer barkering his wares.

They're supposed to be like a yard sale where people empty their garages and attic of crap they don't need. But here they've morphed into little mini malls with people selling soap, hardware, clothing........you name it.

8. Grant H

Grant H I'd rather be patting my dog.

Think "Flea Market", "Boot Sale" or "Garage Sale" and you're on the right track.

9. CWEflooring

CWEflooring Pro Member

Im with you now as you said car boot sale is what its called in england

10. Mike Antonetti

Mike Antonetti I Support TFP Senior Member

I haven't heard of boot sale, here they are called flea markets. Swap meet usually is reserved for car parts here. Being from Florida it turns into arts and mostly crafts which people make at home. Also here there are consignment shops where they take a percentage. Pawn shops and craigslist are also sources, yard sales are kind of a hassle, never know what's there though, most are done when it cools down.

I have a Duo fast, works real well, easy to open if jams, I have an older one and found another at pawn shop, staples are easy to get even at Home Depot.

11. Hanover Fist

Hanover Fist Pro Member

I have the same tool - 3 of them.
    While I love them, I have a beef: EVERY FRIKKIN' TIME I pull one out, the first staple jams!
    Then I pop the clips, rock the hammer back, open the slide, avoid getting cut by the self-retracting steel band (if I can) clear the jam and re-load them...

I wonder if it's the same with the Bostich?

12. Mike Antonetti

Mike Antonetti I Support TFP Senior Member

Do you store it empty? Keeping pressure on springs weakens them(so I've been told) maybe gun magazines as well?

13. JPfloor

JPfloor Pro Member

I always used the Duofast, although I don't see much staple down padding these days.... I always found if you clean um every now and then with WD-40, add a couple of drops of oil once in a while, they won't jam as much.:)

14. CWEflooring

CWEflooring Pro Member

We mostly use hammer tackers made by a company called rapid and are all made in sweden . The favourite with carpet installers is there R11 . They use to make them for roberts yesrs ago under license (back in the day when Roberts tools were worth owning ) and they never jammed ! My first R11 i had for 16 years and was handed down to me they are bomb proof it seams . The only reason I replaced mine was cause the plastic/rubber handle were you load the staples wore thin and split a tiny bit causing the plunger to spring out occasionally when hit on a hardwood floor. Couple of guys i know still have them after nearly 40 years and still going!

Attached Files:

15. Jim McClain

Jim McClain Owner/Founder Administrator

I liked what I used to call "slap-tackers" more than the Duo-Fast hammer tackers. Lighter, fewer jams and took up less room in the toolbox. I replaced my Roberts with a Stanley, even though the Roberts was still working. The Stanley has a better grip. I still use the Stanley for the odd home improvement project. It's been 9 years or more since I used it on pad.

Attached Files:

16. CWEflooring

CWEflooring Pro Member

In England jim we only use what you refer to slap tackers but we call them hammer tackers. The true hammer tackers used by you guys in the u.s dont excist over here and you cant buy them . The only one you can buy is the bostitch one that i refered to in this post . Ive replaced mine with the up to date R11 exactly the same they have just made the rubber grip more comfitable . Great tackers but the staple length is limited . Never been a problem up till now the company i do work for has changed there underlay/pad to a more dense thicker foam and besides having to really whack the staples in they pull out the floor when laying carpets out . The bostitch one takes thicker and longer staples and also is 6cm longer so more impact when using it . Another reason is builders are using treated chipboard thats hardened and even bent ring nails on tack strip so it will get alot of use .

17. Incognito

I was digging through some old tools I got recently off Craigslist for $50 over by Los Angeles International Airport. Just realized amongst the large bucket of tools included with an 18" Gundlach lino dolly and a 100 lbs. roller was an old Bostich H2B hammer tacker. Works perfectly.

An old carpet layer was long since done with his tools and was moving out of an apartment in a rougher neighborhood. ("South Central") The new tenant was actually standing there trying to help the old man get his crap out of the garage. Big score for me. He listed it for a hundred bucks and I was all over it but it was kind of a far drive. When I called him one day on my way home from work in Ventura he said just give me $50 and take EVERYTHING!

There was a lot of little stuff in there like wall trimmers, knives and such but it got mixed into another box and now I forget what was what from other bundles.

Attached Files: