Black spots on carpet

Discussion in 'Cleaning, Maintenance & Restoration' started by razzle51, Jul 15, 2011.

1. razzle51

razzle51 New Member

I am getting black dime shaped spots on my carpet . does anybody have an idea as to what is going on? Is it glue ?? carpet has been down for 10 yrs . thanks Roz

2. Chris Mha

Chris Mha Charter Member Senior Member

How many and are they located in traffic or non traffic areas? Has the carpet been cleaned? Were they there prior to cleaning or did they show up later? Definitely need more info. How about some photos?

3. nimrod

nimrod Pro Member

burn marks??

4. Jim McClain

Jim McClain Owner/Founder Administrator

Or maybe something oily dripped and is now getting dirty?

5. ortiz34

ortiz34 2nd generation Senior Member

Pics would be great
    x2

6. razzle51

razzle51 New Member

spots

I will try to send a picture . The carpet has been shampooed and cleaned over the years many times. These are black sticky circles dime shape and continue to multiply. its really weird . I read here the other day about a pad called rebond that could very well be the culprit but husband doesnt think a pad was put down . thanks

7. Daris Mulkin

Daris Mulkin The One and Only Charter Member I Support TFP Senior Member

Is this a above grade or below grade installation? Reason for asking "husband doesn't think pad was used." Also is it possible someone stepped in some tar or tar like substance and are tracking it around off their shoe? You don't say the spots are hard or soft. Have you tried any type of cleaning agent to remove the spots?

Daris

8. ortiz34

ortiz34 2nd generation Senior Member

Force field spot cleaner is a good one for grease if it is

F FBC

9. razzle51

razzle51 New Member

spots

we will be stopping at carpet store and will let yall know what it is . thanks for all your help. They continue to spread . Its something underneath . Its a berber like indoor outdooe carpet . have spot cleaned and shampoo but they are spreading . I will let yall know thanks again. R

10. strip buster

strip buster my way is the best way. Charter Member

cleaned with to much water and adhesive might be re setting and making it's way to top,setting and becoming dirty or just mould?..

11. Curt Durand

Curt Durand Resting In Peace Charter Member I Support TFP Published

Might be...........
    Loom oil or "dust bunnies" from machinery will sometimes drip onto the backside of a carpet's primary backing during tufting - carpet is usually tufted upside down. The oil or bunnies get trapped between the primary and secondary backings in the latex coat and slowly wick upwards over time and repeated exposure to moisture. Sometimes these line up lengthwise or widthwise, one instance or more and sometimes they just appear randomly. Start as a small dark pencil eraser sized dot in the carpet. Sometimes just starts as one yarn strand of a tuft. Barber shop spiral. Clean them and during the drying process the spot wicks up again but into a larger spot. Clean it again and it gets even larger. Starts dark and gets lighter but bigger. These can sit unseen for years until enough moisture and wicking occurs.
    Manufacturing problem.

12. Mr. B.

Mr. B. Pro Member

The problem is due to filtration soiling.
    Make sure that dirty air is not entering the room(s) through HVAC system or spaces between wall and floor or unsealed openings.

13. Jim McClain

Jim McClain Owner/Founder Administrator