Best way to fix small pieces of carpet?

Discussion in 'Carpet Q&A' started by Sandylee, Apr 7, 2017.

1. Sandylee

Sandylee New Member

Hi all,
    For a few months now, I've been trying to figure out the best way to fix down 3 small pieces of carpet (30 x 45 cm (12 x 18 inches)) to fill in the gaps left after removing some built in furniture.
    This is the first time I've installed carpet properly and I'd like to do it so it will last.
    I have the carpet. New carpet was put through whole house about 7 years ago, so still have the off cuts from that. I understand how to match the weave/grain, but can't decide if it's best to use tack strips, seam tape (hot or cold?), adhesives, a combination of these or something else.
    The carpet has been laid on native (New Zealand) wooden floor boards which are in excellent condition. Currently in autumn here the temperature is around 20C (70F) with approx. 60 to 80% humidity. I guess that could make a difference with adhesives.
    Being in a bedroom, the patches will be subject to moderate domestic traffic. They are against a wall below windows that are reularly opened, and about a metre away from the foot of the bed. So they need to be walked on or past to get to the other side of the bed.
    Hope some one can help!
    Cheers,
    Sandy :)

2. Daris Mulkin

Daris Mulkin The One and Only Charter Member I Support TFP Senior Member

When there is seaming involved I would definitely hire a professional to do this. He also has the right tools to do this and hopefully make it look like it is hardly noticeable.
    We have a couple of installers on here from NZ. Maybe they can help you out with someone they would recomend.

:old:

Daris

3. Grant H

Grant H I'd rather be patting my dog.

Sup Bro (Sis/Cuz).

I'd follow Daris's advice. Get a Pro in. Hopefully someone with a Koolglide to hotmelt the seams. Easy enough to do with a conventional carpet iron, just easier with the Koolglide system. Also if any re-tensioning of the room is needed your layer will have the kit to sort it out.
    If the areas were not a traffic zones you could possibly get away with a "Step-on" DIY tape but I wouldn't risk it in your case. Sounds like a straight forward repair. You'll probably notice them for a while depending on wear on the existing carpet vs the new patch and the age of the products.

Where are you based ?

Last edited: Apr 8, 2017
  4. Mike Antonetti

Mike Antonetti I Support TFP Senior Member

Daris, how do you understand all that funny English?

I agree, it's very difficult for the width seams to look concealed. Not sure if I would use cut out pieces or start fresh with bigger piece to carefully cut lines versus when they hacked off carpet could have cut fibers off as well which would leave gaps. Built in furniture is just plain wrong in my opinion.

5. Sandylee

Sandylee New Member

Huntly, Waikato

6. Sandylee

Sandylee New Member

Yeah, I agree about built in furniture.
    Luckily it (the built in furniture that is) was there when the new carpet was laid (previous owner of house), so the edges are professionally cut and finished. The furniture has also stopped anyone walking right up to the edges so they still look new.

Using a bigger piece of carpet's a good idea. Unfortunately, there's not an offcut big enough to cover all three holes.

7. Jon Scanlan

Jon Scanlan That Kiwi Charter Member I Support TFP Senior Member

Sandylee there must be a carpet layer around your area, maybe in the local paper?
    I am in Auckland and know a flooring rep who I think travels down your way and he might know of a local layer if you get stuck I will ask him
    Grant would love to come and see you from Gisborne giving him something to do :D

8. Daris Mulkin

Daris Mulkin The One and Only Charter Member I Support TFP Senior Member

First thing I do is take out the hearing aids and then I can lip read what they[Jon} is saying as the lip movements are the same without the accent. Now if you believe that then I have this big bridge in Auckland that i will sell you for 1000
    NZ pretty Dollars which I understand it the leading money value.

:old:

Daris

9. Grant H

Grant H I'd rather be patting my dog.

Cheers Jon...:p...we're crazy busy atm so a 5(ish) hour drive is outa the question. Like Jon said Sandylee, check the local Yellow pages or maybe even a Local carpet shop could put you on to a contractor who can help you out.

Carpet & vinyl contractors Huntly Area

10. Jon Scanlan

Jon Scanlan That Kiwi Charter Member I Support TFP Senior Member

My friend Daris who lives in The States would love to come down here and fix your carpet
    As Daris thinks we talk funny and our money is strange it would be a love job
    What you say Daris? :D:D:D
    Sandylee I have met Daris a few times at Vegas so we know each other. Daris picks on us Kiwis in a friendly way :)

11. Sandylee

Sandylee New Member

:) Thanks All!