best vacuum for berber carpet

Discussion in 'Cleaning, Maintenance & Restoration' started by Dara, Jun 7, 2017.

1. Dara

Dara New Member

I just bought a wool berber carpet. I have a Dyson vacuum, and I have been reading all the horror stories about Dyson and Berber carpets.
    So--what vacuum should I buy that will be gentle enough to not damage the carpet but strong enough to clean? Also, hopefully, not super expensive.
    Many thanks.

2. SteveG

SteveG Pro Member

Your best bet is to choose a vacuum certified by the Carpet and Rug Institute.

I don't know what your budget looks like, but I have the Shark Navigator Rotator at home and it works great. Costco (or Amazon) sells them for ~$200. I like it because it came with a caddy. I replaced my old Navigator when the hoses cracked after a few years (Fully warrantied by Shark).

Amazon.com: Shark Rotator Lift-Away Professional Upright Vacuum (NV502): Home & Kitchen

Plus, I mean.. their company name is SharkNinja - those are people I want to do business with.

3. Chris 45

Chris 45 Director of P.R. on some deserted island. I Support TFP

I believe the deal with dyson is that the beater bar bristles are too stiff and there is no pile height adjustment. The beater bar literally beats and combs your carpet to death. I wish someone out there made an aftermarket beater brush for the dyson. Maybe that's my ticket to finally getting off my knees.

Turn off the beater bar and it will work for you until you can get a new vacuum. Ditto on what Steve said about checking with the CRI for a vacuum that has their stamp of approval. I really like the new ones that are bagless. Makes life a little easier.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Dara

Dara New Member

Thanks so much! My carpet also thanks you.

• Like Like x 1
  5. OldCarpetVet

OldCarpetVet Pro Member

The best vacuum for your berber is not what you think. If safety and power is what you want, then look no further than a Ridgid wet dry vac. The best Dyson on steroids couldn't pick up a fraction of what the Ridgid will. Now if you want to boost the power of that Ridgid then I also highly recommend you buy a turbo cat vac head. You'll be blown away I promise you.

TurboCat Air Driven Central Vacuum Powerhead 8695

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 12, 2017