Best tool to cut thick vinyl planks

Discussion in 'Vinyl Flooring Q&A' started by Annette, Jan 17, 2013.

1. Annette

Annette Member

Hi,
    I'm new to this forum, and this is my first post. My apologies if this question has been asked before.

I recently purchased Maple Leaf Lamisol's Aquarius vinyl plank waterproof flooring. The planks are 1/4" thick solid vinyl (mostly black vinyl core, with a thin vinyl veneer and a thin felt pad). They are relatively stiff, not flexible like most vinyl planks. They're 6" wide.

The box recommends that I use a circular saw with a fine tooth blade. But, that seems a bit heavy handed. Besides, I'd have to buy a new circular saw (my old one was put away wet :eek: ), and I already have a scroll saw which I think may work better. Or is there another tool that would do a good job cutting 1/4" vinyl?

Any advice will be appreciated.

2. Incognito

Incognito No more Mr. Nice Guy! I Support TFP Senior Member

never saw 1/4" thick vinyl planks

if they say use a "circular" saw I'd probably use a trim saw like this one:
    5090D | eBay

I got one similar for $20 at a swap meet

No reason not to TRY the jig saw. It wouldn't be my first choice though.

3. Nate Hall

Nate Hall Types With Elbows Senior Member Published

If you have a chop saw that could work too. Use a fine tooth blade like they say.

4. Mike Antonetti

Mike Antonetti I Support TFP Senior Member

Score with a utility knife and snap doesn't work ?

5. Elmer Fudd

Elmer Fudd Administwative Asst. Charter Member I Support TFP Senior Member

6. Mike Antonetti

Every vinyl plank I've set could be scored with a utility knife and snapped like a pretzel. I have an I-20 bullet tool, looking for smaller I-9 lugging that 20 around is a beast. It cuts hardwood and laminate with ease and pays for itself fairly quickly, works good on duraceramic as well.
    Now as far as the ergonomics the less hand fatigue the better for the later years in life.

7. Annette

Annette Member

Thanks for your responses.

Incognito, Elmer and Nate, I appreciate the recommendations. It's been a while since I've shopped for tools, and you offered some great choices.

Mike, I've laid many types and brands of vinyl flooring and always used the 'score and snap' method, but this is a different animal. It's very hard and thick, more like laminate than vinyl, and I suppose I'll have to work with it as if it were laminate. The I-20 and I-9 you mention are impressive, but a little cost-prohibitive for me and my small home projects.

Thanks to everyone for pointing out all the options that are out there. I think I'll grab a piece of my flooring and take it with me to the hardware store so the clerks can handle it while offering some suggestions on specific blades and tools.

8. Mike Antonetti

I agree, hands on the product and you can make a practical decision. I usually take a stack of cash in to those store clerks and ask them what I should invest in, who needs financial advisors.
    No, my point is know your "clerks" credentials, many customers I talk to say the guy at the box store told me use,do, this. The turnover in my area is like the weather, one day I see almost all new people, then they switch them to new departments.

9. Mike Antonetti

Did they recommend the flooring saw by skilsaw for @169.00, used for laminate or thin eng. hardwood

10. Steve Forbo

Steve Forbo Pro Member

I would suggest a chop saw with a fine tooth blade, and a good jig saw for detailed cuts...once again, fine tooth blade. They are way cheaper than a Magnum shear or similar, and will do a fine job. You can get a crappy saw like a Rigid or Dewalt for a few bucks.....do the job, then return it to Home Depot....LOL
    Just blow off all the dust etc....LOL....Just tell them it did not work to your expectations....All you will really pay for is a good blade....
    Obviously, buy a good one if you plan on using it on a regular basis.
    They are very cheap for what they do, and will be more than capable of doing what you need.
    Steve

11. Jim McClain

Jim McClain Owner/Founder Administrator

12. Jim McClain

All LOL's aside, please don't tell people to lie and cheat. :mad:

13. Mike Antonetti

I worked at both of those places, yes we know who "you people" are, when it is questionable and you start talking to management on your excuse for returning you probably won't be able to do that again, besides that's when I come along and buy the product at a discount because they can't sell it as new.

14. Steve Forbo

Steve Forbo Pro Member

:(
    I'm sorry....Just kidding.....
    Not about the crap quality of the tools I mentioned....;)

15. Mike Antonetti

You sure do kid around a lot, happy your enjoying this, me too.

16. Steve Forbo

Steve Forbo Pro Member

Sorry if you were offended...I have personally never done it since I wouldn't buy a tool from HD if you paid me to. I buy all my power tools from local Mom and Pop stores to support the community and knowing I am getting what I pay for, not second rate lower grade models like the big box stores sell.
    Just like all their other materials....I shouldn't have to look through 60 2x4's to find 4 good ones.....LOL
    I happen to be friends with 2 people that are distributor reps that sell to the big box stores...All they sell is the lowest grade materials and even refurbished tools sold as new....Food for thought...:cool:

17. Mike Antonetti

I'm not offended, big boxes have a tool under the Christmas tree mentality, I know your caliber by some of your posts(turbo tools)

18. RFI

RFI Mr. Nefarious Senior Member

I am not sure if anyone realizes this, but this is the member that got all offended about acclimation on another topic about this product.

19. Mike Antonetti

This is the member? Who are you talking about? I hope not me, please clarify

20. Jim McClain

Not you. We only talk about you behind your back. ;) He was referring to the OP.