I’ve got a 3rd-floor early-80s 800 sqft rental condo that I used to live in, and it’s done well by me for almost 20 years, fully rented, no skipped payments, no complaints. While I was still living there, I ripped out a lot of the old carpet, found a horrorshow of cracked and crumbling gypcrete, but was too young and dumb to even ask what I was looking at. Instead I put down hella underlayment and covered it all up with a floating Kahrs 7mm veneer product. Surprisingly enough, that’s done very well through these rental years and five or six sets of tenants, but it’s now beyond worn. The bedroom that still has carpeting also needs new and the bathroom vinyl needs replacing — there’s also a little slightly depressed spot I just discovered near the toilet that I’m guessing represents a wax seal leak. It’s about 10” around. To make things worse, the building itself may have some structural issues — it’s built on fill dirt, has a wood foundation that probably wasn’t laid properly. So there’s a bit of a slope to a couple of the rooms now, too — it seems like there’s an inflection point over what’s probably a joist. On the upside, there’s no movement/rice-crispie gypcrete noise underfoot. Floor still seems pretty solid, just uneven. My first instinct was to do it right, rip out the old crumbled gypcrete, patch and repour whatever needed doing — until I saw the price tag. They want around $10/sqft just for repair. There’s no way to make that pay back in any timely way, and it’d represent a substantial chunk of the value of the condo itself. The condo management is also having engineers come look at the building, but not for a few months, and my window for flooring between tenants is narrow. The last thing I want to do is spend a lot on gypcrete repair only to have it torn up again or cracked if they decide they need to jack the building. My guess is they just leave it, and the new floor does what it does in response to the floor slope and its causes. I’m considering doing a temporary floating fix through a lot of the condo: either take up the old floating floor and replace with a new one or just lay the new flooring right over the old, just put it at 90 degrees. (I’ll probably go with the same Kahrs product.) Given the strange little depression in the bathroom, I figure I should pull that all up and make sure there’s not a water problem in there, and that’ll mean I definitely have to repair or repour the gyp before putting down new plank vinyl. And then the bedroom with carpet...I’m worried about that one because I’m afraid the carpet strips will come up with the carpet, and then I’ll have to do a gyp repair on that whole room, rather than just paying for carpet. But I don’t see a way around it: the carpet needs replaced. I’m aware that both the gypcrete and the structural issues have to be addressed eventually. To some extent the structural issues are out of my hands, as is the timeline for inspecting/fixing them. My instinct is actually to sell and get out of that building, but that’s not something I can do right now, so it’ll have to live on as a rental for at least a few more years. At sale I’d take the hit either way: repair the subfloor so that it’s good for the sale or cut the price pretty hard to reflect the work that needs doing. Worst of both worlds: spend the money on the floor, have it break up again, then try to sell. Given all that, what advice would you have? Does laying the new floating floor on the cracked/bad but apparently still functional gyp make sense until the building issues can be dealt with? Would laying the new 7mm floor right over the old be a substantial weight problem? Any thoughts on the bathroom and bedroom?