Best LV brand?

Discussion in 'Vinyl Flooring Q&A' started by Lake4, Aug 30, 2017.

1. Lake4

Lake4 New Member

hi all,
    Thankfully I found this amazing forum to get some answers to my questions. Im about to lay 1500 square feet of LvT and I'm wondering if you can tell me the best brands?
    It's much appreciated!
  2. Good day!
    I'm with you! I am working on information re: flooring in our new construction. boy am I glad I found this!! I was searching both physical stores and online for info and options for best pricing for floating floor. either LVP or cork - both products using "click" planks. I see why it is a mistake to go that route. I will be waiting and watching for your answers bc our empty nester home is <1700 sq ft. and we have 2 80+ lb dogs. I like the quietness of the cork (had it in the past) but the waterproof and durability of LVP.

hope you don't mind me "piggybacking"
  3. Lake4

Lake4 New Member

I'm glad I'm not the only one, hop on! I'm just concerned with some of the reviews I've read where buckling and separating has happened. We will be DIY'ing this huge project so I want the best of the best. You said "click" planks were bad, why is that?
  4. I just read that a floating floor for new construction was not the way to go... glue down was what the contributors here recommended for new const if I am not mistaken. I have problems with products and their off gassing so I will have to see what is recommended in the long run. some glues are probably fine. as for click, read on and see what the pros have said. there is so much info here!
  5. Mike Antonetti

Mike Antonetti I Support TFP Senior Member

So Karndean, Mannington,Tarkett,Armstrong, the workhorses, couple more economy planks perform well as we have put tons in churches. Ask the retailer what has held well. Look for shrinking vinyl in the showrooms, point it out to them and ask why. Tell them you have the backing and eyes of hundreds of professionals and years experience that are watching. Go for long time tested companies, yet some joined the lvp wagon later.
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Jim McClain

Jim McClain Owner/Founder Administrator

I have LVP throughout my apartment, one brand in my so-called great room, another brand in my bedroom suite. The brand names are Konecto and Karndean, respectively. The Konecto is a floating floor, with overlapping adhesive strips on the edges. I heard after I got the material that there were a lot of problems with the edges curling or coming apart. Months after I installed it, there were a few lifted edges, but only a few. I fixed a couple of them simply by heating the edges with a commercial heat gun and re-rolling them. The other one was in front of my dishwasher, so I added some super glue to that one - only a few inches was lifting.

My guess is that, after 35 years of installing floor coverings, I allegedly made my first mistake... ever. I just didn't roll the edges in those spots well enough. Yeah, it was a product that may have been a little more persnickety than most, but it's been down now for 7+ years and I still love it. No problems with it curling or lifting since those three.

My Karndean has been a dream floor. It has a great look and feel (it only feels like a vinyl floor when I'm barefoot). It's glued down, 100% and I either did a better job on it, or it just wasn't as picky about a few missed roller strokes. It has been down about 6 years.

A friend came to visit yesterday and she was amazed that I had such beautiful wood floors. She was even more amazed when I told here they were vinyl, not wood. She kneeled down and tapped and rubbed the surface and said, "wow." I took that as a compliment to my ability as an interior designer because, well, that's what we do. ;) She didn't know that I actually installed flooring for most of my 40+ years of work in this industry. She thought I was "just a photographer." :ohno:

So anyway, I vote for major brand name products. I wouldn't hesitate to have LVP from manufacturers like Armstrong, Mannington, Mohawk, Forbo and other big names (don't forget I already mentioned Konecto and Karndean). On the other hand, I would never even walk in a Lumber Liquidator store and I wouldn't buy off the rack at any big box store. If your biggest concern is price, you're talking to the wrong guy - and a lot of the pros here feel the same way. It's not that you shouldn't try to get the best price, but don't look for price first, then products that fit that qualification.
    • Like Like x 1
  7. Thanks Gentlemen!! These answers (for me), have helped a great deal. I'm am in agreement on the concept of bargain basement businesses are def not the road to travel. Sometimes high end brands have great sales on their good quality products... it's the "right time/right place" scenario that plays in to it all. our local builder is reputable fellow with structural and practicality but for aesthetics and investment on the hard finishes, (cabinets, flooring, stone/brick), it has been my "job". I'm pleased to do it bc I find it very interesting to learn what the pros have to say and share with us, lay people.
    • Like Like x 2
  8. SteveG

SteveG Pro Member

I don't know if there's one best floor for every home/situation/person - but I'm with Jim on the Karndean. That stuff is just great.
    • Like Like x 1
  9. Looking at Forbo site, I remember I friend of the past had Marmoleum in her lower level... it was great and she swore by it! I'm vacillating as whether to use that or the LVP so mudrm, 1/2 bath, master bath are basically taken care of now.

I also have another question (this may need to go to another category) regarding using LVP or quality engineered wood flooring throughout our open floor plan but am scared to death of water leakage in kitchen. I originally was going with cork plank as I had had it in an open floor plan in the past (as mentioned) and loved the feel, acoustics, and warmth.

The LVP or Marmoleum will go in the laundry/mudroom and baths but I am a bit overwhelmed at what to use in our 1100 sqft main level. This incl kitchen, living rm (17x 26 total space), and master bedroom. The living space is rather small so I wanted to keep the flooring the same throughout if possible.

Im investing in the hard finishes(flooring, kitchen cabinetry) and high quality, "open box" appliances. I struggle with vinyl exterior but had to go with it bc of price(budget) and upkeep. Wood or Hardyplank was preferred but I'm sure the hubby was glad I "caved". Besides, it'll look just fine and we can put the $ into the interior where we actually live.

Thanks for your valuable input, advice, and suggestions.
  10. Thanks - I had mostly looked at Coretec Plus. I wasn't aware of Karndean but see you all mentioning it in many threads. I'll definitely check it out!
  11. Chris Mha

Chris Mha Charter Member Senior Member

Karndean is my vinyl plan of choice as an installer. Great quality and I see that they have entered the floating plank market now.