Best flooring for power wheelchair user?

Discussion in 'Help Selecting the Best Floor Covering' started by jenclark297, Mar 9, 2019.

1. jenclark297

jenclark297 Member

We are converting a garage in California into a suite for a power wheelchair user. This will be laid over concrete. We need something that is waterproof as it will have a kitchen and strong as the chair is heavy and the wheels turn hard. We are considering both vinyl plank and ceramic tile. Which would be best? If vinyl plank can you give the best brand for this situation?

2. Chris 45

Chris 45 Director of P.R. on some deserted island. I Support TFP

Floating click lock floors generally can’t withstand the torque from the electric wheel chairs. It will eventually break the planks apart. Glue down LVP or ceramic will be just fine.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. kylenelson

kylenelson You'll find me on the floor I Support TFP Senior Member

Tile is your best option. The wear layer on LVP will take a beating with those wheels and tile will likely never wear out if properly installed

4. jenclark297

jenclark297 Member

Thanks for responding. My concern with tile is that the weight of the chair could crack or break it. Do I need to buy a certain type of tile to prevent this?

Thanks for replying. So there are planks that specifically glue down? Can you recommend a brand that has this, is made for wheelchair use or is highly rated?

5. Jim McClain

Jim McClain Owner/Founder Administrator

If the floor is properly prepared and the tile properly installed and you have adequate furniture leg protectors (nothing hard, like metal), that shouldn't be a problem.

Yes, there are vinyl planks that are made to be glued down, Look for commercial quality, which indicates they are meant to take heavy rolling traffic. Most manufacturers make qualities that meet those specifications. Find one you like the look of, has glue-down instructions and has a commercial warranty.

6. kwfloors

kwfloors Fuzz on the brain Charter Member I Support TFP Senior Member

How about a metallic epoxy or a wood look coating? Really a lot that would work.

THIN_FINISH_Concrete_Floor.png

• Like Like x 1
  7. jenclark297

jenclark297 Member

Hi, I am not sure what these are. Do you mean a coating that goes over the planks or is this a coating that goes on tile?

8. kwfloors

kwfloors Fuzz on the brain Charter Member I Support TFP Senior Member

Some companies have coatings that can go over other products but most are for over concrete. That picture is of a thin finish mix over concrete that is textured and stained and sealed. Then the metallic floors are epoxy colors mixed and poured to give them different looks. This one is hard to see but it is black and bronze metallics.

phone 359.jpg

9. Jim McClain

Jim McClain Owner/Founder Administrator

I wasn't there, so I don't know what it's supposed to look like, but is this close?

kwfloors359w.jpg

10. Mike Antonetti

Mike Antonetti I Support TFP Senior Member

I like that look but not sure living in it at a residence. Why two air registers, one on wall another on floor. If it were blue I’d probably love it for 15?$ a Ft.

11. Chris 45

Chris 45 Director of P.R. on some deserted island. I Support TFP

The air register on the floor is a reflection of the one on the wall.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Mike Antonetti

Mike Antonetti I Support TFP Senior Member

My point. Though it’s easy to see by the reflection of the filter needs change. Do reflections bother some?

13. phil verre

phil verre I Support TFP

If you consider using commercial vinyl or LVT/LVP maybe ask about "under bed" warranties and proper adhesives. I believe Shaw has products and adhesives they use for under Hospital beds. Maybe one of the commercial guys here would have an opinion on that.

14. epoxyman

epoxyman Pro Member

Here’s a few we did and one is in blue

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 4
  15. Daris Mulkin

Daris Mulkin The One and Only Charter Member I Support TFP Senior Member

Just wondering in the white marble look why there is no color next to the wall?

:old:

Daris

16. Emil Repede

Emil Repede Member

Have you heard of Skim Stone. It goes over concrete, looks great easy to maintain. it is a plaster type coating for floors. [link removed by admin]

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 13, 2019
  17. epoxyman

epoxyman Pro Member

It’s the way it flowed out
    Three different colors off white , gray , black.
    The epoxy was just minutes from setting up as the veins were done almost lost the floor

Last edited: Mar 13, 2019
  18. jenclark297

jenclark297 Member

Okay, I think I am going with the glue down LVP. I went to two stores and got very diverse recommendations. It was confusing. Can you recommend the two best lines/products for a glue down LVP that is thicker, has a 20+ top coating, is textured, and strong and is what you would choose for a power wheelchair user?

19. phil verre

phil verre I Support TFP

i would look at Amtico 40 mil wear layer.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. jenclark297

jenclark297 Member

Ok, I have decided that I want to go with a glue down LVP. I went to two stores and got very diverse responses to questions. I am confused. Can you give me your top 2 lines/products of glue down LVP that have a topcoat of 20 or better, is thicker with textured surface and very strong that you would install for a power wheelchair user?