Best Floor protector for Vinyl Plank flooring

Discussion in 'Vinyl Flooring Q&A' started by vjmeht, May 24, 2016.

1. vjmeht

vjmeht Active Member

Heard Luan Board but wondering if super sliders would work for something like a large dresser/mirror, bed and side dressers? Maybe spray wd-40 on the bottoms before placement?

Rule of thumb I heard is felt for things like chairs and plastic/rubber/smooth for things that are stationary like hutches, dressers/beaureaus etc.

Thinking Supersliders for the big stuff and felt for the chairs.

2. Incognito

Incognito No more Mr. Nice Guy! I Support TFP Senior Member

There's all kinds of choices. Sometimes you can just cut a piece ot the plank to fit perfectly under the legs so you don't even see anything. When I do somthing like that I glue the backside of the scrap floorin to the bottom of the legs.

Very dense felt works nicely too. That's what I use on my porcelain tile for all my heavy furniture.

And leave the WD-40 in the garage. What in God's name are you thinking?

3. vjmeht

vjmeht Active Member

Some large pieces like the dresser and hutch which have wide feet will probably have to use felt. WD-40 to give the heavier furniture less surface tension so it can move easily without dragging the tile around.

4. Incognito

Incognito No more Mr. Nice Guy! I Support TFP Senior Member

That WD-40 shouldn't be inside your home for any reason. It belongs in the garage. Keep it out there.

5. Mike Antonetti

Mike Antonetti I Support TFP Senior Member

Felt for everything, sliders for carpet. No plastic for vinyl. We usually pull the hard plastic and replace with felt pads.

6. rugaddict

rugaddict Pro Member

i use masonite boards cut 2x4 to move appliances and big fur (furniture) on hard surfaces ----felt pads when it gets to its spot

7. Mike Antonetti

Agreed, you don't slide anything on vinyl, hardwood either.

8. Dude,

WD-40 contains solvents and oils - you do not want that anywhere near vinyl. Could cause all sorts of discoloration or mess with the wear layer of the product long term. If it gets into the joints it will break down the adhesive as well.

The other huge problem with WD-40, much like soap, it attracts and holds dirt!

I use to do a slow 10 count every time a customer brought me a hammer stapler or an electric tacker (talk about a fire hazzard) with WD-40 running out of it! That stuff has a purpose - and it it's to release rusted metal bolts and nuts. It's not a general purpose lubricant.

9. Elmer Fudd

Elmer Fudd Administwative Asst. Charter Member I Support TFP Senior Member

Dude, are you living under a rock out there in Indy?

How To Use WD-40 Lubricant & Rust Removal Products - WD-40

Read up on the history...................what do ya think WD stands for?
    I'll tell ya tomorrow, unless someone knows.

If you ever work in a garage you will be surprised at all the uses for WD40 that a mechanic can find. One of the best is getting rid of moisture on ignition wiring! It will stop squeaks, lubricate rubber weatherstripping, remove grease and tar from the exterior paint, and lubricate and protect stretcher tubes (used correctly).

10. Chris Mha

Chris Mha Charter Member Senior Member

the original secret formula for WD-40® -which stands for Water Displacement perfected on the 40th try—is still in use today.

11. Mike Antonetti

I think it's overrated, there are more specific products for specialized purposes.

Still I wouldn't use it on a floor. Could be slippery as well.

For loosening bolts, nothing better than PB Blaster.

I've had a gallon of it last about 10 years, on my second gallon I use in a spray bottle. Wasted a few cans with the straw for flame thrower.

12. Travis brown

Travis brown Pro Member

I've always used scrap carpet fuzzy side down and it works better then felt sliders usually. For something really heavy add a little soap and water. The soap way is a pain because of the clean up but works good.

Plastic is for carpet
    Felt is for hard surface sliding
    Rubber for hard surface Grip

A small amount of soap and water rubbed on the fuzzy side of carpet scraps. I'm not suggesting wetting the floor .

13. Poor wording on my part. What I should have written was that it's not an ALL-purpose lubricant. My point was that people use it all the time for things it should not be used on, like greasing floor pads.

14. Mike Antonetti

Talked to an old farmer other day picking up rolls of hay, I mentioned his sand was powdery. He called it "ball bearing sand" maybe some of that will work. I prefer wheels.

Attached Files:

15. Travis brown

Travis brown Pro Member

Those wheels still need Masonite or Luan to roll on a lot of floors with something heavy so that's not ideal either. I worked with the hover craft things years ago and they weren't great either.

16. Mike Antonetti

I haven't used anything under the wheels. Have rolled over many hardwood floors, vinyl plank, Dura. I now have 5 sets, (washer,dryer,fridge,stove) and now for a hutch. Got two air slides, very rarely use. Going thru stuff to sell.

17. Travis brown

Travis brown Pro Member

It seems like they would dent the floor and because of that I've never given them a chance. Now I know differently. My normal routine on a hard surface job if a customer hasn't already bought felt is to use their old carpet and cut little squares for all the furniture to sit on when we're done

18. Mike Antonetti

My brother use to think the same thing. I have 1/2" ramps out of vinyl, use to be wood carpet shims. I ramp onto hardwood from slab, them I look into glare to see if wood is denting, really never has, but other dollies have so diligence is necessary.

Anyway, the 16 wheels that they are on disperses the pressure. My air sleds are good for stoves, washer,dryer, but fridge is a bit different when packed with food.

19. vjmeht

vjmeht Active Member

bought supersliders for all the furniture made moving them a breeze. I have plastic casters on the office chair will have to check if herman miller has replacement rubber casters or get a rubber mat but notice no dents or anything using the chair.

20. SSGNick

SSGNick Pro Member

Give this site a looksey. I have seen this stuff in action and its amazing. They have different products that can go on windows, walls and any flooring.
    Surface Protection - Protect Concrete, Hardwood, Tile, Marble, Stone, Glass and more during construction - Skudo Surface Protection