Basement LVP installation

Discussion in 'Vinyl Flooring Q&A' started by LENTZ, Dec 1, 2017.

1. LENTZ

LENTZ New Member

First Time post. I'm DIYer who just recently joined the forum which appears to be one of the more impressive ones I have come across.

Anyway, would like to install a floating LVP in my basement and was looking for some thoughts from the community. This is a project we would like to do, but have concerns with cost -- as most do.

Basement area is approximately 550 sq ft -- "L" shaped area with the longest wall dimension at 31'-5". I attached a basic floorplan to the post. Stairs come down in the middle of the room with long leg dimension of the "L". Various doors in the area lead out to closet, bathroom, utility room, etc which I did not plan on extending the flooring into as part of the install.
    The current floor in the basement is a glued down 12x12 vinyl? tile which I believe was installed during the late 1980's - early 1990's. Beneath the glued down tile is a concrete slab.

We have lived in the house for two years without any signs of water issues in the basement. I removed a few of the tiles in a couple of locations to perform moisture tests with taped down plastic which produced no signs of visible moisture, discoloration, etc.

We are considering installing the Home Depot Home Decorator's Collection Luxury Vinyl Plank flooring. Although no apparent moisture issues in the basement, I have considered installing a DriCore subfloor--in the event there is a future water incident. Perhaps belts and suspenders-- but curious what the professionals think of the Dricore product. I would then overlay the dricore with 1/4" plwood prior to laying the floating LVP in place.

One potential issue is the pitch of my basement floor. It does appear to be higher in the center and sloping towards the walls. I utilized a 4 ft level (did not have a 6 foot level) across much of the room and it did appear to have a height variation 1/4" to 3/8" over the four foot length in many spots. I have never used any self leveling concrete products, and am a bit reluctant to go down that path myself thinking it may be a pretty substantial area to level. Also, I had hoped to not have to disturb the existing glued down floor--just wanted to place the dricore panels, plywood, and then LVP on top. I am aware that dricore can be leveled with the manufacturer's shims to a degree, but I believe I may be beyond the advised threshold for adjustment. Curious to what the consequences could be if I did attempt to install in the current condition provided the pitched surfaces were fairly true throughout the area.

Note that given all of my concerns--I am getting advice from "the boss" (i.e. my wife) to have someone come in and do the install for us. Of course that is a great idea to her until we find out the price for the work.

Anyway was wondering what the community's thoughts are on my potential project, particularly with the current state of my existing floor, and the chances of success / fail if I make no adjustment to the current state of my basement floor

Attached Files:

2. Mark Brown

Mark Brown On The Surface Flooring I Support TFP

If you are considering dricore, which personally I would call a very expensive joke, do it right and build yourself a proper false floor. Much easier to level, you can insulate it the same, it will work better and it's probably 1/3 the cost. Might lose an extra inch of height bit what can ya do.
  3. Chris 45

Chris 45 Director of P.R. on some deserted island. I Support TFP

Lifeproof is a decent product if you are set on HD but I gotta be honest, the home decorators LVP is junk. If you’re gonna drop the money, do yourself a favor and get a moisture test done in your basement. If all is good with the moisture testing, pay a professional leveling company to pump leveler into your basement. Have it done right. The extra cost for leveling can be somewhat recouped if you do the install yourself. We can walk you through it.