Baseball Field Halo and Runways

Discussion in 'Carpet Q&A' started by Jamesh921, Feb 22, 2013.

Tags:
  1. Jamesh921

Jamesh921 Charter Member

I've been asked by the local college to install new 36oz turf with an attached 5mm shock pad on their baseball field.
    The halo is the semi-circle that goes around home plate and the runways are 6' wide strips that lead from the dugouts to the halo.

I've never installed one of these before, although it looks like a pretty straight forward glue-down with an attached cushion. However,, I don't want to take this install for granted so I was wondering if anyone here has experience with this kind of install. This is a high-profile install that has to be done right.

Any insight is appreciated.

Thanks,
    James

2. Bud Cline

Bud Cline Tile Expert Charter Member Senior Member Published

Goooogle.

3. Jim McClain

Jim McClain TFP Owner/Founder Administrator

James,

1. Don't listen to any TFP members that only tell you to search Google or whatever. I usually assume people who come to us have been unsuccessful in whatever searching they've done, or think TFP is already the go-to site to ask these types of questions.

2. Please provide as much information on the product as possible - brand name, etc. I tried searching for the term you gave and found nothing. If we had a brand name or link to manufacturer's website, then maybe those who have dealt with similar products could help.

3. When you registered, you said you were a pro. Please don't ignore the welcome messages and the instructions to get Pro access. I think it would be worth the few minutes time it takes.

Jim

4. Bud Cline

Bud Cline Tile Expert Charter Member Senior Member Published

...and that is exactly what prompted my comment. Newcomers are kindly asked for a little cooperation and when their response to that request is simply "Google" (as his was in the other thread) I figured I would respond in-kind. Just having a little fun with a person of few words.:yesss:

5. Jamesh921

Jamesh921 Charter Member

It's an outdoor carpet with an attached 5mm cushion, just like you see in this picture

Grass Turf|Grass Carpet|Sports Turf|Putting Green Carpet|Landscape Turf|Capri Carpet

The turf is coming from Artificial Turf | Baseball & Softball Equipment | Sports Netting

They are the supplier and offer only their in-house code to identify the product. No mfg info is given. And since it's after 5:00 pm on friday, I can't get any other info from the supplier until monday.

I've searched their website and found minimal info on installation. What I did find did not include installation with an attached cushion.

That's why I'm looking for someone who has experience installing this product.

The video and installation info on their website refers to using spikes driven thru the turf to hold it in place. But alas, the Halo and Runway I will be installing will be over pre-poured concrete.

Now BUUUUUUD, if that's not enough "words" for you I can certainly come up with a few more "choice ones" if you like. ;)

6. Jamesh921

Jamesh921 Charter Member

Here's a pic

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 22, 2013
  7. kylenelson

kylenelson You'll find me on the floor I Support TFP Senior Member

Welcome aboard, sorry I can't help you with this one. If I were you I would make sure there is enough money in it for you even if its a worse case scenario job.

8. ortiz34

ortiz34 2nd generation Senior Member

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IJSMQmoQJHU&feature=youtube_gdata_player"]DIY ARTIFICIAL TURF FAKE GRASS LAWN INSTALLATION GUIDE - YouTube[/ame]

9. Jamesh921

Jamesh921 Charter Member

While I appreciate the fact that you went to the trouble of uploading that video, it has ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to do with the info I requested.

""
    The video and installation info on their website refers to using spikes driven thru the turf to hold it in place. But alas, the Halo and Runway I will be installing will be over pre-poured concrete.
    ""

10. kwfloors

kwfloors Fuzz on the brain Charter Member Senior Member

Jim Walker talked about doing turf in stadiums and it is a dangerous job. Wind swirling around in the stadium and such. I would get the phone number of the manufacturer and call them. I have done carpet and done that with no support but its the place to start. They must know someone that has installed their product like you have before you. Good luck and let us know what you found out and how it came out.

11. ortiz34

ortiz34 2nd generation Senior Member

Sorry, I saw them using the spikes and thought it might have helped while forgetting it's concrete. However, now that I have seen this it tells me that the spikes are probably not going to be used for your application. Most likely adhesive?

Someone else should know

12. Daris Mulkin

Daris Mulkin The One and Only Charter Member I Support TFP Senior Member

I'm sure if you call the CFI offices Monday Morning first thing they will hook you up with Eddie Braile and he will be able to tell you what to do. He is the CFI tech person and also Jim Walkers right hand man. The number is 816-231-4646 ask for Eddie.

:old:

Daris

13. Jamesh921

Jamesh921 Charter Member

Gonna get the mfg name from the supplier tomorrow and see what I can find out. I'll let you know what I find out. Thanks

14. brett chaltry

brett chaltry Pro Member

You would probably get quicker results if you follow daris directions.

15. Jim McClain

Jim McClain TFP Owner/Founder Administrator

Hey James,

You never answered this in my earlier reply. I'm curious, if you chose not to seek Pro access, why and what can we do better for you and other pros who haven't sought access?

Thanks,

Jim

16. Jamesh921

Jamesh921 Charter Member

Jim,
    I just didn't feel like messing with it now. Maybe I'll get around to it later. I've been logging some serious hours between researching this install, studying my IICRC WDR handbook and working. Just doesn't leave much in the tank for entertainment and "niceties".

No disrespect intended,
    James

17. Elmer Fudd

Elmer Fudd Administwative Asst. Charter Member I Support TFP Senior Member

So what did ya find out about the install if the turf?

18. I looked up some field layouts, can't see where it's going.
    I would follow strict manufacturers guidelines, anyone getting injured and a phone call may be imminent, I'm just thinking about edges letting loose, and trip hazard. Concrete in the field to glue to, I guess I need to do some research myself, I don't like to be made aware of something I have not much of a clue on about(flooring) in a broad sense.

19. Jamesh921

Jamesh921 Charter Member

Well, here's an unsatisfactory update.

I didn't call the supplier until today. He says, "I can have someone from the mfg call you tomorrow. What would be a good time?" :blink:

So, if I wanted the info sooner, I guess I shoulda called on Monday (my fault).

Just to clarify:
    The "Halo" is the semi-circle around home plate. And the "Runways" are 6' wide "paths" that lead from the dugouts to the halo at home plate.

I think some of yous thought I was talking about the "field turf". Not so.

And although I know I sometimes come off as a little abrasive, I'm really not.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2013
  20. kwfloors

kwfloors Fuzz on the brain Charter Member Senior Member

Something else, does it have to be removable? Do they roll it up for other events or when it rains?