Bamboo acclimation.

Discussion in 'Hardwood & Laminate Sales and Installations' started by Chris Mha, May 16, 2017.

1. Chris Mha

Chris Mha Charter Member Senior Member

I'm doing g a vinyl installation today in a condo just purchased by the homeowner. I noticed a pallet of Morningstar engineered bamboo sitting in the garage. Homeowner tells me 'LL is installing it on Thursday and Friday. I guess LL has different acclimation procedures than the rest of the flooring industry. Tried 3 times and photo upload failed. The screen shot photo went through. I tried again with the other and it failed

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 16, 2017
  2. Floor Boss

Floor Boss Flooring Professional and Mgr. I Support TFP

Bamboo acclimating in a garage? I'm scared!
    DB

3. Mike Antonetti

Mike Antonetti I Support TFP Senior Member

Leave Dan Shultz's business card for the homeowners!

4. Chris Mha

Me too. I usually wouldn't say anything but I probably will just to be an A-hole because it's LL.

5. Mike Antonetti

Forgot, you have credentials. I have the same issue, we know too much seeing others work.

6. Dan Schultz

Dan Schultz Certified Wood Floor Inspector Charter Member

Haha! I've always said I'd travel wherever needed.

7. Chris Mha

I have acclamation photo for you

8. Jim McClain

Jim McClain Owner/Founder Administrator

Failed how? Was there an error message, the screen went black, stuck its tongue out at you or what? "Upload failed" doesn't help me help you. It's like when one of your customers leaves a message on your phone saying the floor failed? :hmmm:

9. Chris Mha

Hit the upload button like always. Got a message in the upper left corner that upload failed.

10. Mike Antonetti

That's what I get from phone as well, was going to drop a Benjamin but you said it would be repaired in a week so I may be able to wait, not sure.

11. Dan Schultz

Dan Schultz Certified Wood Floor Inspector Charter Member

Maybe they have a super duper, double secret HVAC system just for the garage. Haha.

12. Jim McClain

You added the screenshot after I replied. There's no notification when someone edits a post, so I didn't see it.

Please email me the photo you tried to upload so I can see if it's a problem with the photo or with the upload system.

Thanks.

13. Jim McClain

Here's the picture Chris sent me. The reason it failed is because the original photo was over 5MB. The max is 2MB - as it says in the upload feature and visible in the screenshot Chris posted in his first post. The dimensions of the original might have caused part of the problem too. As it also shows in the screenshot, the size should be no larger than 1920x1920. Chris' original photo was shot at 2988x5312.

Think of it this way: The material one purchases and delivers to the jobsite is always larger than the finished job. The flooring professional must "edit" the material to present the customer with the room as they wanted it.

Attached Files:

14. Chris Mha

I'll have to look back at my camera. I have never changed settings on it. Maybe a recent phone update changed something. Thanks Jim

15. Jim McClain

The new server had a setting that limited the size, in megabytes, of allowable uploads to 2MB. I don't know what the setting was on the old server, but it may have been higher. I raised that limit a little bit, but I don't think it is unreasonable to ask that members be considerate of the available space on our hard drives. A server is just a de-glorified computer and most people are aware of a computer's limitations. There are over 26 thousand attachments uploaded to TFP and they take up a HUGE amount of space. I don't want to limit the number of pictures anyone posts. But I hope they will be reasonable.

16. Mike Antonetti

I don't see picture size on iPhone anymore, somewhere I use to see mb.

What determines size of picture on smartphone? To me it seems the picture would be same amount of space on every photo. Is it size of area taken picture of, amount of things in frame?

17. Hanover Fist

Hanover Fist Pro Member

Mike, got an answer for ya...

Attached Files:

18. Should we tell the homeowner about the lawsuits against LL and MorningStar bamboo? Or should we let them figure it out on their own?

I guess you get what you pay for. And at LL, that isn't much.

19. Chris 45

Chris 45 Director of P.R. on some deserted island. I Support TFP

splintering
    easy scratching
    delaminating
    warping
    shrinking
    lifting from the subfloor
    cracking
    gapping

I wonder how many installers ate a job because the problems with morning star bamboo could resemble similar problems with unacclimated product.

20. Isabella Flooring

Isabella Flooring Pro Member

I say let LL keep doing what they are doing.

It puts approximately $12 to 16k into my retirement fund from inspections a year.

sooner or later the Installers will SMARTEN up.