Bad idea to primer subfloor before laying LVP?

Discussion in 'Vinyl Flooring Q&A' started by Dylan Flaherty, Dec 31, 2017.

1. Thanks for all the help on this forum!
    • Material: Hallmark LVP, Polaris Erickson Maple, 5.5mm
    • Subfloor: 3/4" OSB
    • Underlayment: 1mm Eternity high density rubber sheets

According to the installation instructions for my LVP (Hallmark Polaris):
    All sub floors must be clean... dust, scale, old adhesive, and asphalt cut-back adhesive must be removed. The surface must be free of paint, grease, drywall, curing/sealing compounds, existing resilient floors, engineered hardwood floors, wax, oil, alkali, and any other foreign material.

Question #1:

We have some stains on our subfloor that probably aren't consequential, but we were going to cover them with KillZ primer anyway just to seal them up. Is that a bad idea?

Question #2:
    We just put in wallboard and textured it and there's a fair amount of texturing spray on the subfloor. Is this actually a problem as long as the surface is still smooth? I've checked it and this section of floor is within 1/16" over a 6' radius.

2. Incognito

Incognito No more Mr. Nice Guy! I Support TFP Senior Member

Anything "foreign" that can be mechanically removed by sanding and scraping should be removed by sanding and scraping. If there's something you cant remove with a sander or scraper AND you're concerned about bonding to the substrate patch over it with cement based floor patch of a similar quality to Ardex Feather Finish.

Do not paint Kilz on the floor if you see a stain. I see no point in doing that. If the patch doesn't stick sure as hell the Kilz wouldn't either.

It would really help to have more information about this here stain we're talking about.

3. Mike Antonetti

Mike Antonetti I Support TFP Senior Member

I’m confused, is it floating floor with a roll sheet underlayment?

4. Mark Brown

Mark Brown On The Surface Flooring I Support TFP

Sounds like it mike, In which case, don't worry about anything that isn't a lump, a bump, or a hump :)

5. Elmer Fudd

Elmer Fudd Administwative Asst. Charter Member I Support TFP Senior Member

From Hallmarks install instructions...
    • EZ Loc
      LVT EZ Loc Installation.pdf Polaris must be installed as a floating floor. It can not be glued, nailed or fastened to the sub floor in any way possible.

6. Yes I am doing a floating floor. So I'll take Mark's advice:
    Thanks all!