Bad Carpet Install-Need Advice

Discussion in 'Carpet Q&A' started by jim Hillsop, Mar 20, 2017.

1. jim Hillsop

jim Hillsop Member

So no surprises, Home Depot screwed up my carpet install.
    1) they miscut the carpet so now I have an extra seam across the middle of one room and a seam that was supposed to be in a doorway but is now in the middle of a hallway.

2)In one small hallway they didn’t even use tackless strips but just use plastic staples to bind down the carpet. This they didn’t even do correctly as the carpet pile was stapled down and shows “marks”.

3) Caught the pile in many other areas with staple gun. Stairway in particular looks terrible where it was stapled at riser/tread junction.

4) though I insisted on placing the words “must power stretch” on the invoice the workers showed up without a working power stretcher. Once I found out I had work stopped but unfortunately they had already made all the cuts for the door entries and a divider half-wall that run down the middle of one of the rooms. My worry is that once they power stretch it the cuts will all move out of alignment. Is there a way to properly install it with power stretching?

I am waiting to hear from HD management as to how they plan to fix this. Any suggestions on a resolution? Is asking for half my money back reasonable since my alternative is to have them replace the carpet due to the extra seams.

2. Jim McClain

Jim McClain Owner/Founder Administrator

C'mon, you can't attempt to describe all of that and not show us any pictures. I'm especially interested in what the heck a plastic staple is. And the seams... are they terrible because they actually show, or because you just know where they are?

I'm not suggesting the installers for Home Depot did a great job, just that a topic that describes everything you did without posting any photos just ain't right. :ohno: Out of all your posts here on TFP, you never once mentioned Home Depot. I'm sure someone would have put the worry in you about their installations. Did you get a really good deal, like free installation or $39.00 whole house price or some other ridiculous offer you couldn't pass up?

3. Hanover Fist

Hanover Fist Pro Member

I would read the ever-loving shyte out of every inch of paperwork regarding exactly what you signed, in order to see what your options are.
    Also as Jim said - pics or the ref didn't see it it didn't happen.
    As to what your next steps are and whether it can be properly installed at this point; gonna take actual eyes on it, onsite, by an actual pro.
    Heads up - big box stores hire on the cheap for the most part. Odds are that one man in your whole crew actually knows the trade, the rest are helpers. That's a guess, cause if they showed up without a power stretcher to my house, I'd get mine out and beat them with it.

4. jim Hillsop

jim Hillsop Member

Yes pics are always helpful. Sorry about that. I knew HD would not be that great on the install but as you guessed I did get a great deal, free install and less than half the price of others for a better carpet. The install however is worth what I paid for. I didn't mention HD before now because they are not involved in my hardwood install.

The seams are definitely noticeable but my main concern is that in 2 years they will start to lift. They also didnt use seam sealer anywhere.

I think I imagined the plastic staples as on second look they at least used regular staples but obviously still still should have used tackless in the two doorway.

Anyway I appreciate any thoughts you may have on this. Here are some pics

Attached Files:

5. Chris 45

Chris 45 Director of P.R. on some deserted island. I Support TFP

Doesn't look like a great deal at all and that carpet is some layers carpet right there. Nothin special about that. At least you got brand new 'seam metal':eek: I'd tell you to get your money back and go somewhere that will charge you twice as much. I know the rigmarole that you are in for and I know what you'll say when it's all done because I've heard it a hundred times: "I woulda gladly paid more if I knew I was going to have to deal with all this bullshit". The best (or worst) part is that you almost certainly paid for that 100% up front.

6. Hanover Fist

Hanover Fist Pro Member

Why the hell is there a metal transition strip where a hot-melt seam goes? Did you ask for or specify that?
    In the pic showing the tile to carpet transition; is that gold metal nailed down there? Did they actually miss the transition?
    None of this is right... It's not even jackleg work - it's straight hackery.

My eyes!
    :help:

7. Mike Antonetti

Mike Antonetti I Support TFP Senior Member

I won't kick you while your down, yup make them make it right by CRI standards. It'll come out of the installers 5k$ they hold back till installers gone for a year. Meanwhile the contractor who runs US installs has a nice big Mansion in Boca, I'm sure one in the Caribbean as well.

8. jim Hillsop

jim Hillsop Member

Yeah it’s a mess. I wasn’t expecting a perfect install but this is a hatchet job. I don’t know how they can fix it. The gold metal is nailed down but they definitely missed the transition and I definitely did not ask for all that sheet metal everywhere esp not in gold. Assuming I get some money back for the seams and let them try to fix it and not start completely over, any advice on how to get it to CRI standards.

I can’t see how they can power stretch it properly with all those cuts already made and especially the divider wall. How would they normally do it? Power stretch first and then cut?

They did half the stair but butchered that with there staple gun. As shown in the picture they also didn’t let the padding extend over the bullnose per CRI standards. Should I have them rip it out and start over?

As for the crappy seam job. Should I have them redo it? How important is a seam sealer as they didn’t use it. Is it too late to get a seam sealer in there w/o ripping open the seam? The carpet is really thick 65 lb face weight.

any other thoughts

9. kylenelson

kylenelson You'll find me on the floor I Support TFP Senior Member

Home depot should rectify this, ask for different installers.

10. Mike Sliwinski

Mike Sliwinski The Doctor Is In Senior Member

Rectify ? that reminds me of this : [ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wk7fYBw6PfQ"]Liar Liar The Movie- Car Troubles HD.mov - YouTube[/ame]

Sorry ! I couldn't pass this up.

Hopefully get an allowance of 500.00 and higher an installation pro to repair.

Mike

11. Hanover Fist

Hanover Fist Pro Member

I dunno, Jim - if it was just one or another of these problems they could probably be fixed with the material you have onsite. As it is now - total loss.
    I've tried to fix work like this in the past, with less than good results.

Yes, you should have the stairs re-done.
    Yes, the seam's life expectancy is about half what it should be without sealer. Also looks horrible, guessing the backing is gapped and overlapped in places.
    No, metal should not replace seams - unless your subfloor is not even/different heights.

I would have HD send a manager to inspect, air out your issues politely and professionally, and ask for a reboot. Might tell them this is the last thing you'll buy from them if this is considered acceptable (?)

12. jim Hillsop

jim Hillsop Member

Thanks for all the input. Waiting to hear from HD manager right now. One question I had was that the installation manager from ACS said that he would only power stretch the main living room but not the attached hallway on the other side of the dividing wall. He said that doing so would rip the cut at the dividing wall. (see pic). This doesn't make sense to me. Not power stretching the long hallway (25 ft) seems like asking for ripples down the road and not to CRI standards. Any thoughts?

13. Hanover Fist

Hanover Fist Pro Member

Yep - everything should be power stretched. If he's worried about his seams, he's not doing them correctly. A well done seam should be damn near the strongest part of the carpet field.
    Not that I haven't blown a seam w/a power stretcher, but a light pull shouldn't hurt that seam. Personally, based on the pics you'd sent, I wouldn't listen to a word that guy says - his guys are clearly hacks.

14. Mike Sliwinski

It can be fixed in my opinion.

----- Remove the flat metal @ ceramic tile and
    replace it with a 2 pc T-Track, using a medium gray color to match the
    grout color.

-----Remove the metal @ Br doorway, power stretch up and make a
    door seam.

-----take apart all seams, re-trim, seal, seam it up and power stretch
    it back to meet walls.

------keep the steps as is, but have the repair person groom the carpet under the nose @ the
    stapled location, this alone should make it look 30 % better.

Best of luck to you

Mike

15. Incognito

Incognito No more Mr. Nice Guy! I Support TFP Senior Member

.........30%?

16. Mike Sliwinski

Maybe 31 % ;).........Not sure why I picked that percentage number.
    I was using my awareness :rolleyes:

The photo, of the steps, isn't very clear, but to me, the staple marks
    are not that bad, equaling about a 50 % quality rating.
    After grooming and maybe adding a few more staples, it's possible
    that number could be increased by 30 or 31 %.........Hows that sound ?
    :rolleyes: :D

Mike

17. Incognito

Incognito No more Mr. Nice Guy! I Support TFP Senior Member

Needle nose pliers should solve that staple problem. But I'm not so sure how easy any of what's shown could be brought up to MY standards.

What I do know is the ability to make those kinds of repairs is what separates the men from the boys in our line of work.

The "boys" done F'd this one up for sure. I'd have to see it in person to judge if the damage were irreparable or not.

18. kwfloors

kwfloors Fuzz on the brain Charter Member I Support TFP Senior Member

Mike your forgetting about fixing the pad and replacing all the wrong tackstrip....:eek:

19. kylenelson

kylenelson You'll find me on the floor I Support TFP Senior Member

I have heard that home depot is actually good about redoing horrible installations like this. Let's hope that's the case here. The length of the hall should be power stretched, as should the width, assuming the power stretcher head fits sideways in the hall. Unfortunately the style and color of carpet are only exaggurating your problems, but that doesn't make them any less valid.

20. Mike Sliwinski

Repairing now, means being creative, you would be surprised what can be done if your thinking from the end. In other
    words, visualize how it needs to look / be and then make it happen.

That carpet is extremely friendly or forgiving when it comes to patching, re-seaming, removing / re-installing steps. Do you have any extra carpet ?

If you can get the allowance, take it and pay your own person to fix it. Talk to your neighbors and find a great installer to help you.

Mike