Back splash tile on formica

Discussion in 'Ceramic & Stone Sales and Installations' started by Daris Mulkin, Mar 25, 2013.

Tags:
  1. Daris Mulkin

Daris Mulkin The One and Only Charter Member I Support TFP Senior Member

If the powers to be want to include this in the other back splash thread be my guest.
    Anyway I have Formica back splashes from counter-top to cupboards. Wife wants new tops of stone or similar. I was thinking of tile for back splash. Would I have to remove the Formica or can I adhere the tile[glass?] to the Formica. Under Formica it is plastered wall. I did the Formica about 15 years ago. Nothing is written in stone yet.

:old:

Daris

2. Taurus Flooring

Taurus Flooring Over 30yrs Experience

Yep, Formica got to go Joe! The glue will have to also.

3. Floored by Newman

Floored by Newman Floored by Newman

But if you were to secure the formica and prime, why not mastic? :hmmm:

4. Kman

Kman Tile Expert I Support TFP Senior Member Published

Best way would be to cut out that part of the wallboard and replace it with new sheetrock to make for a nice, flat surface for your new tile.

5. Daris Mulkin

plaster board is thicker that most drywall and it is not even in thickness. That would leave me with a lip from the top cupboards.
    Can the finish be scratched up for a bond of mastic of some type?

Daris

6. Kman

Kman Tile Expert I Support TFP Senior Member Published

How thick is it? There is 5/8" sheetrock out there.

7. JIII

JIII Pro Member

pure silicone will work to stick tile to almost any non pourus surface have done a bunch of 12x12 on face of coolers in gass station. only concern would be the formica letting go from the wall.

8. Daris Mulkin

Minimum of 5/8 sometimes thigker. Makes it real interesting when having to patch.

Daris

9. Elmer Fudd

Elmer Fudd Administwative Asst. Charter Member I Support TFP Senior Member

They say "confession is good for the soul", so here goes.

Twelve years ago my wife decided she wanted stone on the counter, after pricing I said :ohno: !!

This was the compromise....and it went over laminate. I used a sander with 16 grit to rough it up, troweled on mastic, let it set for a week so the mastic could dry throught the gaps, then grouted. Not one crack, chip, or bit of grout disintegration.

What is my punishment for confessing?:(

Attached Files:

10. Daris Mulkin

Years ago when I did formica counter tops and back splashes we used ceramic glue for the back splash. So why wouldn't it hold tile to formica also? That way we could move it around and not have to be exact. I don't remember if that is what I did on my own or not. Probably not as the upper cabinets weren't in yet when I did them. Just asking?

Daris

11. Cude36

Cude36 Pro Member

If you want take the easy road remove the cap and cove metal, if there is any, and take a palm sander to the Formica. Mastic will stick to Formica. It's still better to pull the Formica and skim coat the wall with sheet rock mud.

12. Daris Mulkin

Actually the backsplash has been done now about 5 or 6 years ago with tile, marble and glass. I got my feet wet and did them myself. The formica that was one the walls when i did them there was no metals of any kind. I scribe fit everything with just a small amount of caulk to seal the corners. Love the tile and couldn't be any happier. Tile was another part of the trade when i started.
    So was Congo wall if anyone remembers that stuff.

Daris

• Like Like x 1